When looking for a job.

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default When looking for a job.

I have done this quite often. First often you would need a current resume that covers the gaps in your employment in such a way that the potential employer would want to hire you. You also need current references. Something that might be a problem for those of us who have been out of the work force.

The process of getting an interview involves making the employer want to hire you and join their team.

And you do not want to appear over-qualified for a position or desperate for work.

My older brother used to be a headhunter for the Federal Government for computer programming positions. He recruited for other positions as well. And some of these positions required nearly top level security clearance.

Just delving into what it is like for older adults to get back into the work force. I do have a nurse friend who just did this but her gap in working was not that long and she used to work here in the Villages.

I do consult with my older brother once in a while via e-mail and elsewhere whether or not Big Brother is still watching as there seem to be eyes on people after they leave governmental connected work which involved high level security clearance.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Sage

Employment gaps and resumes are less important when the jobs are filled through competitive civil service exams, perfect for the overqualifed.

These exams are at all levels, fed, state, city, county.

Civil Service Exams | Federal Civil Service Tests & Jobs

Also special skills jobs that require special license or certifications will come under less scrutiny for resume gaps etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Most federal government jobs are gotten through networking, knowing someone, or nepotism. Few off the street unknowns make it to the final job interview. The federal government trying to do better job hiring by off location collection of applications, but there are still ways around that for what I had seen.

Beside's there been hiring freeze for most jobs For GS and WG jobs off the street for 6 years or so. Some body retire's usually in house promotions or job position eliminated.

Never get sucked in to paying for the information.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Sage

I will ask around for openings.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

I don't think to many villagers need a job , after working 45 years I sure don't.
Closed Thread

Tags
work, positions, employer, force, hire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.