When you hear an obvious lie, do you correct the story-teller?

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2020, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default When you hear an obvious lie, do you correct the story-teller?

Granted, some folks are not worth the effort, just write it off, but I must say, it is something that goes back to my childhood days and the "dreaded bar of soap", I can honestly say that a lie is hard to accept to this day and especially from folks in the news.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Granted, some folks are not worth the effort, just write it off, but I must say, it is something that goes back to my childhood days and the "dreaded bar of soap", I can honestly say that a lie is hard to accept to this day and especially from folks in the news.
I feel exactly the same way, perhaps for different reasons, however on this forum, I and others are mocked for wanting facts....then if you supply those facts, they say it was made up......vicious circle.

Applicable today....

"“Lies sound like facts to those who’ve been conditioned to misrecognize the truth.” ― DaShanne Stokes"

....will save you the time......

DaShanne Stokes - Wikipedia
Old 07-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

That would depend on if the lie was harmful. Unfortunately the liar isn't always telling lies standing next to you because if s/he was one might correct them.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
I can honestly say that a lie is hard to accept to this day and especially from folks in the news.
You hit that nail.
But if you are talking about internet forums ( ) I don't think there are many "lies" per say, but misinformation or naivete on a subject. For every internet "fact" one gives, there is another internet search that will contradict that "fact". It happens daily, and is all agenda driven.
Don't even get me started on polls!

This I think is a very interesting thread along those lines;

How do so few know so much about everything?

Steve
Old 07-06-2020, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

In what context is the lie, is the facts readily available, or are we speaking of opinions, spun into what the person believes to be true
Old 07-07-2020, 01:44 PM
John41

Is it a lie or just ignorance of the facts. Hard to read a person’s mind or know his intent. Tread carefully.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Is it a lie or just ignorance of the facts. Hard to read a person’s mind or know his intent. Tread carefully.
I agree. I also notice that in a place like The Villages, many of us have a problem with "misremembering".

It's often not a lie, it's just that sometimes we don't recall things exactly as they happened.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I feel exactly the same way, perhaps for different reasons, however on this forum, I and others are mocked for wanting facts....then if you supply those facts, they say it was made up......vicious circle.

Applicable today....

"“Lies sound like facts to those who’ve been conditioned to misrecognize the truth.” ― DaShanne Stokes"

....will save you the time......

DaShanne Stokes - Wikipedia
I intensely dislike falsehoods spread via all the various media including social platforms and even on Talk of The Villages. I have spent time debunking falsehoods that I've received in emails, to no avail. The original sender never corrects the original message to reflect the facts. I tend to fact-check most items, however, sometimes I get caught with my "pants down."
Old 07-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Varying degrees of handling the truth:

If my Mother asks if she is dying I am certainly not going to say yes you are, even though both she and I know she is.

Whereas when my boys were small and they told lies to avoid trouble then it would be a lie.

When I worked if my boss bent the truth I would just walk away, but never forget because you cannot trust a liar.

In Politics, on either side, I expect NOTHING but misrepresenting the truth or outright lies. Have you ever heard anyone ask a politician a question and watched how many different ways they can spin the answer?

On a chat line board .... well, it does not take long to see through people who continually mishandle the truth and those who manage to seek truth.

And finally, EVERY time I have tried to lie my way out of something I have been caught in that lie!

So my conclusion is you are better off telling the truth.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Gold member

I have no problem correcting people when they pass falsehoods on the internet such as on Facebook. Often I use snopes.com and find the truth there.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Lie is a lie..simple needs no explanation
Old 07-09-2020, 06:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you. I find that I can avoid most lies simply by not watching television news or advertising of any sort on any network and not reading the memes on Facebook (I don’t use Twitter or other such apps) and not watching conspiracy theory videos on YouTube. Unfortunately, if a political figure lies or exaggerates, I can’t tell that person. If a meme is wrong, sometimes I find a refutation online and post that under the meme. If my dad gets a detail wrong, I am more likely to double check. Sometimes his sister remembers the story differently.

I don’t sense that many of my friends or acquaintances are lying to me, and I try to be accurate and not exaggerate. I recently published a book called “They Don’t Eat Missionaries Anymore,” based on a journal I kept while working in an operating room in an African hospital 45 years ago. As I reread the journal, I was dismayed to discover that a couple stories I’ve told for years were wrong—wrong patient, wrong circumstances. Most of us get details wrong about old stories. I want those details to be right.

If a friend had a habit of lying, I would draw back from that friendship and stop trusting the person.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
I try to pick my battles.

If someone is lying about that which is relatively harmless or it's being used to build themselves up, I'll usually just let it slide. If they are lying to demean or attack a person, particular group or demographic, then I have no problem speaking up and setting the record straight. Needless to say, the one who is doing this very seldom have their minds changed, even after being shown with unimpeachable sources that what they're saying are lies. "I believe what I believe," is often the only response they have, which is impossible to argue with so I'll usually just walk away, shaking my head and muttering to myself.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

To me it depends on how good the story is. Some people are great at good stories and I love listening to a true BS artist crafting his best.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

People going to believe or disbelieve based on they’re area they grew up in, education system they when through and they’re poli—- associations. Just as news media’s report based on they’re pol——- affiliations And agendas. As story gets told from second, third, ect... parties it naturally gets twisted up based on they’re background. I find the media the worse, they don’t show the whole incident and cut portions out to fit they’re intent. As for me I could care less what somebody’s opinion is. If they wasn’t there and witness it , it an opinion to me.
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, lie, hard, childhood, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.