Where is your Faith?

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2021, 03:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default Where is your Faith?

The Bible

I was given a bible and it sat for 40 years as I professed to be a Methodist and a Christian. Then I retired from the military, read the Bible from cover to cover, reread several areas several times while attending twice a week at a Baptist church. Then I became so lost in religion I was becoming more and more unhappy. I stumbled across a speech by Richard Dawkins on anti-theism. A light came on, so I started reading everything I could find about atheism. The light got brighter and I began to feel alive again. I now joyously state that I AM A DEVOTED ATHEIST.

NOTE: I believe that Jesus Christ (Yeshua) was real, and to this day the Sermon on the Mount is my favorite story, bar none; however, the Bible and any other religious texts are fake and we’re written by the powerful to control the masses. I understand and accept that God of any of the hundreds of different faiths brings comfort to millions. For me, I have found peace and comfort in the truth of Atheism. Through Atheism, I have found the true meaning of Empathy, love for ALL my fellow man and inner happiness. Best of all I have lost all racial, gender and sexual prejudices that are taught by organized Religion.
I found my comfort in Atheism and sincerely hope everyone finds theirs.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:46 AM

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 03-22-2021, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

Religion pits people against each other.

While I’m not religious, I have a relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We attend a baptist church (online from our home town and tithe because of the great work they do for others) because teaching of the written Word, inspired by God.

My God is a god of love for all.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:08 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Glad you are feeling better.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Sounds like you might Return to God during the last few minutes of your life! Hope to see you "up there" ... we can talk then
Old 03-22-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I am not going to attempt to convince anyone that their opinion is invalid. It seems that Atheists have just as much "need" to convince others as do Christians. Is it that the Atheist is really trying to convince others or themselves? Just a thought.
My thought is this, and I am just sharing it since someone else brought it up as a point of conversation on here.
IF a Christian, is wrong and the Atheist is right then the Christian has lost nothing when they die. No repercussions.
If an Atheist passes and is wrong, then there will be great sorrow. Kind of like the difference between having or not having insurance.
Which faith is more uplifting and positive? A person that thinks that once they pass, that's it? Or, the person that believes in a life after death?
Another question remains constant. If you do not believe in a deity, does one reject the idea of having to atone for what they have done with their lives? Or, if one believes in atonement, does that make one think before committing slights against others? Just a few thoughts.

This is an interesting discussion, but will it result in folks becoming thoughtful or just very angry?
Old 03-22-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehiker View Post
All hail His Noodly Appendage!

And yes, I own a round metal collander.

Born and raised in the Reform Movement of Judaism (which most non-Jews refer to incorrectly as "reformed Judaism" - Judaism didn't re-form. Our perspective of it did. Judaism is still what it is, and has been, for almost 4000 years).
I'm primarily a cultural/ethnic/genetic Jew. Went to Sunday school, learned all the prayers and songs in Hebrew/English, joined the youth group, slept with the other high schoolers in the barn once a month as part of the "senior" youth group activities to create and direct the sabbath services that weekend, etc. I never embraced the religion.

I have no "official" religion. I've studied several religions, even entertained a stint with the Hare Krsnas because their temple smelled so nice (it's where I went to study for mid-terms because my dorm was always too noisy).

Studied Wicca, studied Jehovah Witness, studied a few bonafide cults - all on my own, I never took "religious studies" in school. Probably should have though, it's a fascinating subject. I believe that it doesn't matter what happens when we die. What matters is what we do while we're alive.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I am not going to attempt to convince anyone that their opinion is invalid. It seems that Atheists have just as much "need" to convince others as do Christians. Is it that the Atheist is really trying to convince others or themselves? Just a thought.
My thought is this, and I am just sharing it since someone else brought it up as a point of conversation on here.
IF a Christian, is wrong and the Atheist is right then the Christian has lost nothing when they die. No repercussions.
If an Atheist passes and is wrong, then there will be great sorrow. Kind of like the difference between having or not having insurance.
Which faith is more uplifting and positive? A person that thinks that once they pass, that's it? Or, the person that believes in a life after death?
Another question remains constant. If you do not believe in a deity, does one reject the idea of having to atone for what they have done with their lives? Or, if one believes in atonement, does that make one think before committing slights against others? Just a few thoughts.

This is an interesting discussion, but will it result in folks becoming thoughtful or just very angry?
For me I am certain that I have became more thought about others and have gained empathy for others along with my acceptance of Atheism. As far as an afterlife, I have comfort in knowing that how I conduct myself while alive is my legacy and is determined while alive and terminates when dead.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:04 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
The Bible

I was given a bible and it sat for 40 years as I professed to be a Methodist and a Christian. Then I retired from the military, read the Bible from cover to cover, reread several areas several times while attending twice a week at a Baptist church. Then I became so lost in religion I was becoming more and more unhappy. I stumbled across a speech by Richard Dawkins on anti-theism. A light came on, so I started reading everything I could find about atheism. The light got brighter and I began to feel alive again. I now joyously state that I AM A DEVOTED ATHEIST.
You are just lost in the religion of atheism. No real change in your addictive mental makeup. You use the same phrases born again Christians, Jews etc use “a light came on” , “brighter and brighter”.

My own belief is there is something more than just atoms combining to explain life. Dawkins and Krauss say science proves there is no God but that is not correct. Newton and Einstein both believed in a higher intelligence and if you delve deeper into quantum physics and its relationship to biology your mind will open up more at the miracle of life than by reading Dawkins. Arvin Ash on YouTube has some excellent videos on understanding science.

Last edited by John41; 03-22-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
For me I am certain that I have became more thought about others and have gained empathy for others along with my acceptance of Atheism. As far as an afterlife, I have comfort in knowing that how I conduct myself while alive is my legacy and is determined while alive and terminates when dead.
Interesting theory.
Question:
If you are wrong and you convince others to reject their "deity" then how do you justify their eternal damnation, IF that becomes the case? Your belief in the negative while assuring that the negative is really a positive could possibly be damaging. Therefore, your "legacy" will be destructive. AND just another thought, what if you are wrong about everything "terminating" after your demise? That leaves devastation behind you, right? Just addressing your statement, not trying to change your mind.
I do not care what Atheists believe. But, I do wonder why they insist on convincing others of a possible destructive avenue in life, when believing in a higher authority is harming no one, and may be a source of their salvation in the afterlife, assuming an afterlife for discussion's sake.
Like I said before, what harm is there in believing and ultimately finding out that you were wrong, versus NOT believing and finding out that you were wrong? The benefit of faith seems to greatly outweigh the loss by declining the gift that costs you nothing.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

David Phelps - Ain't No Grave (Live) - YouTube

Who do you want coming for you? angels or grim reaper? I may not make it through the pearly gates, but al least I will be evaluated.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
How is it a "legacy" if it "terminates" when you are gone? Isn't "legacy" something left behind?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

George Carlin with his views on religion.......

George Carlin --- Religion is Bull**** - YouTube
Old 03-22-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Interesting theory.
Question:
If you are wrong and you convince others to reject their "deity" then how do you justify their eternal damnation, IF that becomes the case? Your belief in the negative while assuring that the negative is really a positive could possibly be damaging. Therefore, your "legacy" will be destructive. AND just another thought, what if you are wrong about everything "terminating" after your demise? That leaves devastation behind you, right? Just addressing your statement, not trying to change your mind.
I do not care what Atheists believe. But, I do wonder why they insist on convincing others of a possible destructive avenue in life, when believing in a higher authority is harming no one, and may be a source of their salvation in the afterlife, assuming an afterlife for discussion's sake.
Like I said before, what harm is there in believing and ultimately finding out that you were wrong, versus NOT believing and finding out that you were wrong? The benefit of faith seems to greatly outweigh the loss by declining the gift that costs you nothing.
I have heard the “what if your wrong” line a lot during my journey. I finally realized that something was wrong with organized religion. I now feel mentally clean. I am so thankful for the truth of Atheism. If your happy being a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew, then enjoy. This is not a short sighted Change for me. I have searched for 32 years and I am still learning how to lead a full and satisfying life that eluded me the first 40 years.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
How is it a "legacy" if it "terminates" when you are gone? Isn't "legacy" something left behind?
Bear with me and I will try my best to give you an answer you and comprehend. Legacy is what you leave behind. The meaning of my statement is, you continue to build your legacy while alive, but your Legacy is finalized on your death.
Closed Thread

Tags
bible, atheism, comfort, found, light

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.