Who can literally remember their childhood post World War Two?

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage
Default Who can literally remember their childhood post World War Two?

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Platinum member

Great memories, Senior! Our largest grocery store was the A&P, but "John;s Store" was a few blocks away and that's where we got baseball cards (with bubblegum), necco wafers, candy cigarettes, etc. The local dairy was one block away - they had popsicles for 5 cents.

One of our neighbors always made caramel apples for Halloween. One year I made a "Little Bo Peep" costume and used my little red wagon dressed as the lamb, and my brother's hockey stick wrapped in crepe paper for a shepherd's crook.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Sage
Default Ditto for your memories

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

I remember it all
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Platinum member

Here is a web site that sells old-time candy. This link is to the page that sorts out the candy by decade. I bought a selection for a family reunion one time, and it was a big hit! It's fun to just browse and remember....
Candy you ate as a kid by decade

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Sage

Most folks have no trouble remembering their childhood in the 1940's and 1950's.

However, remembering what happened yesterday is the much larger problem for many.

No, this unfortunately is not supposed to be funny.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Platinum member
Default Memories

We didn't have an A&P, but we had Piggly Wiggly and Furr's. There was a little store right around the corner on our block where we got items in between trips to the "big" stores. Such little stores were the forerunners of today's 7-11, etc.

Remember the peanuts in the little round boxes that would sometimes have anything from a nickel to a dollar inside? I remember my dad's Lucky Strike cigarettes with the green emblem instead of red. How about the newsreels and cartoons before the main feature and Saturday afternoon double features with a serial 'Superman', 'Batman', etc. before the movies?

Our "stocking stuffers" were fruits and candies, not expensive bracelets, electronics, & such. We got something from Santa and something from our parents, and new underwear....not tons and tons of toys and gadgets. We took care of what we got, too. How about going as a family to pick out the Christmas tree, dads putting two pieces of wood together to make a base for it, a white sheet for the "snow" underneath, and then dad untangling the lights and putting them on the tree? Mother and us kids then got to put on the ornaments and icicles. We always took it down New Year's Day while waiting for our traditional black-eyed peas to cook.

We, too, made our own Halloween costumes and got to go trick-or-treating alone without fear of something happening to us or getting something in our paper sacks or pillow cases (didn't have store-bought cute little containers) that would hurt us.

I could go on and on. I am so thankful to be able to remember so much.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Remember Woolworths and Kresge's dime stores AND their great lunch counters?.... and of course Santa lived for a couple three weeks on the top floor of your local Federated Department Store. Mine was Lazarus, yours might have been Macy's.

The local dime store is where I purchased my first tube of lipstick. Earrings back then were for sleazy girls.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Most folks have no trouble remembering their childhood in the 1940's and 1950's.

However, remembering what happened yesterday is the much larger problem for many.

No, this unfortunately is not supposed to be funny.
Unfortunately, you are right and it is so sad for so many.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:42 AM

We didn't have tv, but gathered around a console radio to listen to Fibber McGee and Molly,
Lone Ranger and for news of the war. Fleers bubble gum was hard to get. Toilet paper, sugar, tires were rationed. We had food stamps that allowed each person to get rationed items. We lived close to an airbase and would go stand by the street and wave to truckloads of soldiers as their conveys passed thru town. There was a POW camp that housed German prisoners and we would go stand at the fences and watch them. Oh my! Once the memories start to unfold I could go on and on!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Remember Woolworths and Kresge's dime stores AND their great lunch counters?.... and of course Santa lived for a couple three weeks on the top floor of your local Federated Department Store. Mine was Lazarus, yours might have been Macy's.

The local dime store is where I purchased my first tube of lipstick. Earrings back then were for sleazy girls.
Yes! To me, there is nothing that can compare with the hamburgers and fries, cokes and/or malts, at the corner drugstore, either. Mmmmm!!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
Old 10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by salferg View Post
We didn't have tv, but gathered around a console radio to listen to Fibber McGee and Molly,
Lone Ranger and for news of the war. Fleers bubble gum was hard to get. Toilet paper, sugar, tires were rationed. We had food stamps that allowed each person to get rationed items. We lived close to an airbase and would go stand by the street and wave to truckloads of soldiers as their conveys passed thru town. There was a POW camp that housed German prisoners and we would go stand at the fences and watch them. Oh my! Once the memories start to unfold I could go on and on!

Remember driving to the airport to watch the planes come in and out and maybe getting an ice cream on a summer night?

I had a WAC purse, just like the real girl soldiers.

We played with army jeeps in the sandbox, my boy cousin and I. There were stars on the windows of neighbors who had lost sons in the war.

Sugar was rationed. Vaccinations were HUGE on your arm and hurt for weeks.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Sage
I remember when I turned five it was a very big deal to be able to buy a birthday cake to take to nursery school because sugar was rationed. Still have the photo of me and my cake.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I remember the Duncan "yoyo man" coming to a lot across from the store where they sold them. He would demonstrate his incredible two handed simultaneously yoyo skills, hold contests and pass out patches and even sweaters to the winners (sometimes yours truly). I remember buying penny candy, Cracker Jacks, riding a one speed bike with a coaster brake and balloon tires, playing marbles, flying kites we built ourselves as well as purchased, building flying model balsa and paper airplanes from kits, red and blue plastic mills, buying 10 and 25 cent savings stamps and sticking them in books for that purpose to accumulate enough to purchase savings bonds...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.