Who can literally remember their childhood post World War Two?

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Sage

Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Sage

Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-29-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Times were VERY different then.

Remember, I grew up in Central Ohio.

I was in my thirties before I met a person of Asian origin or an American Indian. It was in The Villages when I first had home cooked Italian food.

I was in my twenties when I had my first Bagel.

Pizza came to our town in the 1950's, when I was a teen.

I have never had anyone rob me or break into our home and neither has this happened to any of either of our large families.

The only time I was ever struck or hit is when I was spanked as a small child. The first time I saw anyone really beat up was the recent tape shown constantly on the news of teens beating the hell out of another student on a school bus.

I walked to school about ten blocks, different directions, all 12 years. Nothing bad ever happened to me or my friends or anyone I knew.

BUT the elementary principal liked to "hug" us. He later committed suicide after he impregnated a sixth grade girl.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Sage

Everything I wore, practically everything was ironed. It was the only homemaking job I grew up to HATE.

I would rather clean the toilets than iron.

A lot of my dresses and shorts and stuff were home sewn.

Our house was CLEAN and we were clean.... But.. no one showered, we all took baths.

There were five children in Sweetie's family, in a very nice home and in a lovely neighborhood, but they only had ONE bathroom.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
GREAT POST.

Ayup. (Vermontese for yes) Our parents didn't have to worry that some nut case would put a needle in our Halloween candy. We didn't have fancy trick or treat bags........just pillowcases. We'd come home and dump them on the living room floor......actually, my own children's generation was still safe as far as trick or treating in our town....and neighborhoods.

Remember the movies very well. How much did your admission cost???

Ours was twenty five cents. And they'd give us two cents for a cup for the free water. My parents never gave us money for candy. Sometimes we would have some money and buy some.

So, between the fifty cents for my little brother and I to get into the movies, they give us the extra four cents for the two cups for the free water.

The airconditioned theatre matinees were so nice during the hot summers.

Sometimes we went on a Saturday afternoon......and do remember the same as you do..........the newsreels, cartoons and double feature.

For a quarter. We also sometimes went on Sunday afternoon instead of a Saturday. This was in New Jersey. When I think back now, I wonder if my parents weren't using that as a "babysitter" so they could have a free afternoon? We had to walk down our street, then down a very long long avenue to the main street where the theatre was........then all the time inside............hours and hours...........then walk back home. I think they were trying to get rid of us.....for some peace and quiet.

And on the Sundays when we didn't go to the movies.....my little girlfriends and I would walk down to our corner and go into our church.

This was not the morning mass.............we'd just go in and light candles.
All the little girls did that. Just another cool place. That's when church doors were OPEN. I didn't go to Catholic school, but some of my friends did. During the morning mass we would all sit together and show each other what we had in our little purses.

So girly.

Speaking of the free water and the 2 cents for the Dixie cup....................

When we were kids we must have been dehydrated.

No one gave us water bottles to carry around with us.

We played out all day long from morning till bedtime in the summer months. Knew when to come home for lunch and for supper. Without a cell phone call.

But, I keep thinking..........we ran around and walked all over town without drinking water. The one place, besides the movie theatre, that did have an outdoor drinking fountain.........was the old A&P supermarket. So, we'd stop there if we were in that neighborhood.

We had the freedom from about 8 years old on.......to explore all over the city.........and never got abducted. Guess no one wanted us? Or, there were not so many nuts out prowling around as there are today. We lived in a city......not a rural area. Just food for thought.
Ours was 25 cents, as well. You could get popcorn, candy, and a coke for another 25 cents.

Remember all the Burma Shave signs along the "highways"? Each one had a portion of a rhyme on it and you had to wait until you got to the next sign for the next part (cars didn't go 80 mph then). There was no such thing as a Rest Area with restrooms, either......only the side of the road . (It was a lonnnng way between towns and gas stations.)

My grandmother would make me dresses from the flour and/or sugar sacks, so I always got a new dress when we went to Granny's.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Ours was 25 cents, as well. You could get popcorn, candy, and a coke for another 25 cents.

Remember all the Burma Shave signs along the "highways"? Each one had a portion of a rhyme on it and you had to wait until you got to the next sign for the next part (cars didn't go 80 mph then). There was no such thing as a Rest Area with restrooms, either......only the side of the road . (It was a lonnnng way between towns and gas stations.)

My grandmother would make me dresses from the flour and/or sugar sacks, so I always got a new dress when we went to Granny's.

Ah yes...The Burma Shave signs.

Here are some to look at.
burma shave signs - Bing Images
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Sage
Default buggyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Jim,
The 16 ounce bottle of Coke was introduced in 1962. I would venture to guess most of us were at least in high school in 1962 and would not be collecting soda bottles to buy a handful of candy or to share a bottle of soda.

http://www.colacorner.com/did-you-know.html
I am a child of the 50`s . I will now take my leave of this Post . Thanks for correcting me . AMAZING ! JUST AMAZING !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.