Who have you allowed into your "social circle"?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts
Default Who have you allowed into your "social circle"?

So far, my husband and myself are the only ones in our "social circle". Sure we have been to driveway parties where we are socially distanced OUTSIDE. I'm talking about being seated INDOORS in a restaurant at a table for 4, 6 or 8. I've seen plenty of social gatherings in restaurants who certainly do not look like they are all in the same family.

I'm aware that "social circle" is defined by our experts as "people that you know are like minded as you are and who you are sure have been taking the same safety precautions as you have." I just don't feel comfortable yet assuming people we decide to socialize with indoors and seated at the same table have been as careful as hubby and I have. We do dine indoors at table for two always.

I really want to get over this fear and would love to get back to being social and sit at the same table and have dinner and cocktails but I don't think this is the right time.

So.....who have you allowed into your social circle?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

As of July 13, newly brought back friends in my circle is 97, who see each other anywhere from 10 to 24 hours a day. All are So glad for This close group of friends to now be complete
Old 07-18-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
So far, my husband and myself are the only ones in our "social circle". Sure we have been to driveway parties where we are socially distanced OUTSIDE. I'm talking about being seated INDOORS in a restaurant at a table for 4, 6 or 8. I've seen plenty of social gatherings in restaurants who certainly do not look like they are all in the same family.

I'm aware that "social circle" is defined by our experts as "people that you know are like minded as you are and who you are sure have been taking the same safety precautions as you have." I just don't feel comfortable yet assuming people we decide to socialize with indoors and seated at the same table have been as careful as hubby and I have. We do dine indoors at table for two always.

I really want to get over this fear and would love to get back to being social and sit at the same table and have dinner and cocktails but I don't think this is the right time.

Just my wife. We do not feel comfortable sitting in a restaurant or someone elses home at this time.

We will speak or visit with our neighbors or others we meet on a walk and have a conversation but we will be at least 6 ft apart.

Cannot wait until we can start to socialize with others again and go to restaurants.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
As of July 13, newly brought back friends in my circle is 97, who see each other anywhere from 10 to 24 hours a day. All are So glad for This close group of friends to now be complete
97!!! Can’t believe that. You are taking lots of risks, good luck
Old 07-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Just hubby, although hubby’s friends keep showing up and refuse to wear a mask so we talk outside about 10 ft away from them - we both wear masks and I set the timer for 15 minutes. The friends seem to show up somewhat regularly anyways. I keep suggesting the masks should not be on the scooters .... maybe one day they might get the hint and we can have an outdoor BBQ.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I have never been out of contact with my sister and BIL. They live on the same block and we are usually in and out of each other's houses a couple of times a week. They've been isolating the same as us and have all groceries delivered. We've always just treated each other as extensions of the same household as far as Covid goes.

Other than that, there's been no socializing other than one casual driveway gathering in the neighborhood. This week I got takeout for the first time since February. Woot!
Old 07-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

No one.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

Roughly 10-12 but only outdoors. Key for me at this point is people who will let you know if they may have been exposed so you can self isolate. And vice versa.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
97!!! Can’t believe that. You are taking lots of risks, good luck

I am guess you are joking,, thinking anyone in TV has close to 100 people they see daily for 10 to 24 hours a day, even before March, unless they were working. We don’t have the ability to shelter in place.

Many Forget those who have been taking risks this whole time, and sometimes masks have not keep them safe. If we were in fear, this would be a very different world.

So we try to stay as safe as possible, and yet

“ I do not worry about things I cannot change.”

Last edited by asianthree; 07-18-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I am guess you are joking,, thinking anyone in TV has close to 100 people they see daily for 10 to 24 hours a day, even before March, unless they were working. We don’t have the ability to shelter in place.

Many Forget those who have been taking risks this whole time, and sometimes masks have not keep them safe. If we were in fear, this would be a very different world.

So we try to stay as safe as possible, and yet

“ I do not worry about things I cannot change.”
I am confused by your answer. I am never sure which of the two of you is posting. I know one or both are medical people and still working and the other is here in The Villages...I think.

97 is a lot of people.

We are trying to do what has to be done not to catch this nasty bug. Husband still plays golf and was inadvertently exposed to a friends son here visiting who joined their group three times and then returned to his home area and was tested as part of a work group and was found to be positive. Today was the fourteenth day since my husband played golf and with this young man and he got tested but has not yet heard back, but he is well at least.

We weren't terrified, but a bit somber, I must say.

Please tell us how 97 people are part of your group?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am confused by your answer. I am never sure which of the two of you is posting. I know one or both are medical people and still working and the other is here in The Villages...I think.

97 is a lot of people.

We are trying to do what has to be done not to catch this nasty bug. Husband still plays golf and was inadvertently exposed to a friends son here visiting who joined their group three times and then returned to his home area and was tested as part of a work group and was found to be positive. Today was the fourteenth day since my husband played golf and with this young man and he got tested but has not yet heard back, but he is well at least.

We weren't terrified, but a bit somber, I must say.

Please tell us how 97 people are part of your group?
Someone I think was being funny by saying 97.

How in the world can you know so many people and keep up with their contacts and behavior?
Old 07-18-2020, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

If it's important for you to wear a mask why would you leave anyone near you without one? I occasionally go to Breakfast with a friend in a golf cart and we both wear masks. We have a small circle of 6 and we always wear masks and social distance. We avoid those places that allow non social distancing. If we have a need for a contractor inside they must be masked, wash their hands when they come in and social distance. We both play golf with our groups and don't wear masks to play but one is always in my pocket. Staying safe really isn't that hard.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-18-2020, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

I'm comfortable with a few of my neighbors, though I wear a mask when I go into their houses. I'd also be fine with a couple of people in the one club I've joined, but we haven't had any opportunity or reason to meet inside (it's an outdoor club).
Old 07-19-2020, 05:00 AM
Sage

Do no panic.......I have left my family in TV from the short 3 months of retirement along with many, and returned to work, so those with young children could stay home. My plan was to stay a few months, but most likely will be more.

Yes it takes over 100 people to staff the OR. Or any department in any hospital. We are a close knit department that loves what they do, and will take the risk to do it. We are not heroes, just doing our job, most of us over 40 plus years.

Have you forgotten all of the essential workers living in TV that leaves their home, so you can have groceries, or staff the testing sites. Their Circle is much Bigger than 100.

Yet they leave their home so you can stay in yours.

Last edited by asianthree; 07-19-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Do no panic.......I have left my family in TV from the short 3 months of retirement along with many, and returned to work.

Yes it takes over 100 people to staff the OR. Or any department in any hospital. We are a close knit department that loves what they do, and will take the risk to do it. We are not heroes, just doing our job, most of us over 40 plus years.

Have you forgotten all of the essential workers living in TV that leaves their home, so you can have groceries, or staff the testing sites. Their circle is much bigger than 100.

Yet they leave their home so you can stay in yours.
Thank you for clarifying. I had no idea that it took over 100 people to staff an operating room.

I thank you for your dedication and service and I thank Orange Blossom Baby for hers.

Your phrase " Yet they leave their home so you can stay in yours", makes me pause and wonder just exactly what you mean by that.

Did I/we do something wrong again? I was trying to explain, along with many others on this thread that we have limited our social circle to the people in our home, and my husband plays golf, his includes his golf group who we thought were safe outdoors and distanced.

Most people have self preservation as a motivating force but many have more than saving their own skinny necks. Many people who post on here are at higher risk of dying and there are many of their children and grandchildren who love them very much and would be heartbroken to lose them to Covid-19. Those people and friends are cheering them on to stay safe. Some of us even think that by trying to avoid others we are protecting more people than just ourselves.

I am sure that is what you meant too. We all owe you both an enormous debt of gratitude for the risks you take on the behalf of all of us. And Orange Blossom Baby too. We were worried and concerned you might be sick when you weren't posting.

Tags
social, table, circle, indoors, seated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.