Why does my engine rattle when starting?

Old 02-14-2024, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts
Default Why does my engine rattle when starting?

Several possible reasons but IMO number 1 reason don’t change oil enough. Which usually don’t rear it’s ugly head after 80K miles and few years. Piston rings sticking and VVT tiny oil passages gummed are first to go IMO.

Sometimes my oil has less than 3K miles but it’s how those miles are racked up. Mostly stop and go short trips. This IMO most extreme condition engine don’t get complete warmed up and enough to burn hydrocarbons off.

My next vehicle will be turbo dinky little engine. I will never let oil change intervals go over 6K miles or 8 months or so which ever comes first. IMO turbo engines and VVT engines you don’t want the maximum oil change internals unless you’re driving long distances every day.

How To Make Your Toyota Last Over 300,000 Miles Part 1 : Engine Oil - YouTube

Even Toyota mechanic recommends this and explained what happens if you change maximum limit for most driving conditions.

But, most don’t have to worry cause they don’t keep vehicle long enough to do damage. For use that keep most vehicles 10 plus years we have to be more concerned about maintenance intervals. I sure there those that say different, but IMO if I knew oil wasn’t changed enough I would not buy that car cause I will be one that probably gets burned.

I owned around 30 plus vehicles most brought used and never had oil related failure. This included two year old 76 Vega, but around two or three years old it changed its own oil every 1K miles. Nothing could have prevent the Vega engine from that. Probably the worst engine northern hemisphere design ever IMO, luckily I got my 650 invest back when I sold it.

Tags
oil, don’t, imo, miles, engine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.