Wife Beater Shirt

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Veteran member

I have the perfect combination -- Tramp Stamp Barbie and Ken in a wife beater shirt. Throw in a couple of sheep for Eddie ...

ok, enuf. Boomer, save me!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Boomer ---
Wherever did you find that ''test" photo? Not only is that the classic wife beater shirt it's the classic Brando shot from Streetcar that everyone will remember, even if it never happened!
Hi dfn8tly,

It surprised me, too. This morning I typed Brando and Streetcar into a Google search, along with pictures or posters or photos and that picture popped up all by itself.

But just now, when I saw your question, I did the same thing and I got this one. It says "wardrobe test" too, but with the tee-shirt and below you see the one that didn't make it.

It looks like lots of brains were somehow imprinted with the one that did not make it. Interesting. I am starting to wonder if the movie and the poster were different maybe. It was 1951, after all, and maybe the wife beater was too risqué to be on the sign in front of the movie theater. Or maybe it was just too risqué for any of it.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3695941632/tt0044081

And Linda,

Would that I could save you. I cannot even save myself. Once you start that stream of consciousness thing, it is really hard to stop. Oh, Linda, be careful. It is a slippery, slippery slope, indeed.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Slippery but funny.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 10-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

In this one it looks like he got run over by that streetcar .....either that or he tried to beat the wife and she got the best of him.

The Villages Florida
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY

Bettiboop
You are a riot!!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Nonie, NEver heard of them in Chicago. First heard of them about a year ago in Alabama. Everyone laughed that I had not heard expression"WifeBeater" or Guina for that matter. Oh Well.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Who has heard of a "Wife Beater Shirt"? Never ever heard of this until recently. Those I was with couldn't believe I had not heard of this.
I think the first time I heard this term was in the 50s! DA haircuts, rolled up jeans, ciggies in the rolled up sleeve... vs those guys who wore "wife beaters."
Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Sage

My German-American Grandfather wore those all the time (on the Chicago South side) - never heard them called wife beaters until this thread.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.