Wisconsin's Weather

Old 01-17-2024, 12:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowfromminnesota View Post
True. lol. I will take two months of heat when I can still go outside and get my mail in the morning and have beautiful evenings or go swimming versus sitting in a house for six months. Minnesota summers have some “hot” ones too. Plants have zones for a reason.
Two months of heat in Florida? Try April through September heat, hurricane/tornado season, termites, roaches, constant spraying for bugs, mold so prevalent one needs to power wash at least once a year, sinkholes, high insurance rates, lack of excellent medical services, no state income tax so fees and taxes on everything else makes for a hefty cost of living…. and on and on.

Anyone sitting in their home for six months is lazy. No friends? No cultural events? No planned activities or workout centers? No family? No volunteering? Shoveling snow,why? A service can be hired for that and it’s far cheaper than lawn care in The Villages.

Wisconsin is terrible, lol. Everyone is encouraged to move to Florida and particularly The Villages. We’ll get the word out.

Last edited by Aces4; 01-17-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsee View Post
We lived in Minocqua Wisconsin which is the Chicago playground and has been for many years.
Yep, we know the area well, did lots of waterskiing and musky fishing near and around the trestles.

Some call Minocqua "Little Chicago" and rumor was the city counsel was run by the mafia.
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...1&d=1705512905
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	13125030_1178319998859629_5781594502707407379_n.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	102283  
Old 01-17-2024, 12:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Yep, we know the area well, did lots of waterskiing and musky fishing near and around the trestles.

Some call Minocqua "Little Chicago" and rumor was the city counsel was run by the mafia.
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...07407379_n-jpg

That’s a Chicago rumor, they like to think every state is corrupt as they have experienced there.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When it comes to choosing between the North and Florida, just think if everyone wanted to
live here, or everyone wanted to live up north how crowded one or the other would be.

I have family up North that wouldn't even consider living in Florida and think I'm nuts.
They fish, hunt, snowmobile, summer gardening, boating, and love the change of seasons.
I say : "To each his own."
Old 01-17-2024, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Two months of heat in Florida? Try April through September heat, hurricane/tornado season, termites, roaches, constant spraying for bugs, mold so prevalent one needs to power wash at least once a year, sinkholes, high insurance rates, lack of excellent medical services, no state income tax so fees and taxes on everything else makes for a hefty cost of living…. and on and on.

Anyone sitting in their home for six months is lazy. No friends? No cultural events? No planned activities or workout centers? No family? No volunteering? Shoveling snow,why? A service can be hired for that and it’s far cheaper than lawn care in The Villages.

Wisconsin is terrible, lol. Everyone is encouraged to move to Florida and particularly The Villages. We’ll get the word out.
We lived in West Michigan a block from the lake for 25 years. It was indeed a hassle in the winter with the blizzards, whiteouts, ice, bone-chilling winds, dirty mushy garage, dirty car you can't wash yourself, and I'm only scratching the surface.
What I did find is that the native born Michiganders never got cold, loved the skiing, sledding, skating, etc. I loved Michigan in the summer but I just never got used to the winters. I'll take 6 months of heat here over November through March in Michigan. And I'm not a lazy person. Just didn't like twenty minutes of gearing up in cold-weather clothing every time I wanted to go outside for something.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Maybe we need more global warming. Electric cars not fairing too good in sub zero weather, can’t run heater and get very far. Plus charge times are way up. Can’t park them outside cold drains them. Not my words see
Quoted.
Just a moment...
Old 01-17-2024, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When I get homesick for my Wisconsin roots, I just walk out in our laundry room.........https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...1&d=1705520151
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	102289  
Old 01-17-2024, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We lived in West Michigan a block from the lake for 25 years. It was indeed a hassle in the winter with the blizzards, whiteouts, ice, bone-chilling winds, dirty mushy garage, dirty car you can't wash yourself, and I'm only scratching the surface.
What I did find is that the native born Michiganders never got cold, loved the skiing, sledding, skating, etc. I loved Michigan in the summer but I just never got used to the winters. I'll take 6 months of heat here over November through March in Michigan. And I'm not a lazy person. Just didn't like twenty minutes of gearing up in cold-weather clothing every time I wanted to go outside for something.
If there is one blizzard a year which may tie up one to two days for indoor activities, it’s not considered the end of the world. I see very few people in The Villages washing their own cars and carts have to be maintained also. Up north,there is no such thing as love bug season to ruin the paint on vehicles or fade everything in the Florida sun. I’ve never witnessed a beautiful spring day with a renewed freshness in The Villages.

As said earlier, there is something for everyone but relocated Florida residents seem to keep rationalizing why they moved. I say enjoy whatever floats your boat.

It will not bother Northerners, even part time, to encourage people to move to The Villages.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
If there is one blizzard a year which may tie up one to two days for indoor activities, it’s not considered the end of the world. I see very few people in The Villages washing their own cars and carts have to be maintained also. Up north,there is no such thing as love bug season to ruin the paint on vehicles or fade everything in the Florida sun. I’ve never witnessed a beautiful spring day with a renewed freshness in The Villages.

As said earlier, there is something for everyone but relocated Florida residents seem to keep rationalizing why they moved. I say enjoy whatever floats your boat.

It will not bother Northerners, even part time, to encourage people to move to The Villages.
I too, wonder about this. Why is it such a problem for people who move to TV that so many people still enjoy living a winter life for five or six months of the year. My children would NEVER think of moving here, they love the winter, they have all the toys and snow clearing gear. Also when it snows it does not last forever, the roads are cleared immediately, the mail still comes, Amazon still comes (thank you) and with the right clothing and footwear you can do anything you want. Things are very different from when we were young, we had to get out every morning and clean off our cars to get to work slipping and sliding all the way, now people work from home and don't go out in bad weather. Times have changed.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I too, wonder about this. Why is it such a problem for people who move to TV that so many people still enjoy living a winter life for five or six months of the year. My children would NEVER think of moving here, they love the winter, they have all the toys and snow clearing gear. Also when it snows it does not last forever, the roads are cleared immediately, the mail still comes, Amazon still comes (thank you) and with the right clothing and footwear you can do anything you want. Things are very different from when we were young, we had to get out every morning and clean off our cars to get to work slipping and sliding all the way, now people work from home and don't go out in bad weather. Times have changed.

O-K ???
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...1&d=1705608584
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	419613392_898308845630583_991545771098119427_n.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	102304  
Old 01-18-2024, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

I assume that little note is from a Florida cupcake suffering in the current temperatures here.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
Here are seven possible reasons some people will never admit they made a mistake:

1. Insecurity and fear of consequences

2. Over-polishing their self image

3. They can't see beyond themselves

4. Lack of self-awareness

5. They are gaslighting you

6. They have a rigid ego

7. They are a narcissist

Tags
wisconsins, weather, sub-zero, temperatures, shoveling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.