A Word to the Gun Ban Crowd

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation A Word to the Gun Ban Crowd

Every time there is a mass shooting, the same old sides divide up and expostulate about their proposed solutions for preventing future shootings.

Today, I hope to bring a degree of rational realization about the real world to the Gun Ban crowd.

But first, let us play a "what if" game. Pretend with me that I have a magic wand that will allow me to simply wave it and at Noon tomorrow every gun in America that is not possessed by a law enforcement officer or a member of the military will disappear forever.

That's at Noon. By Midnight there will be thousands of guns in criminal hands across America, and a thriving Black Market for the sale and purchase of these guns will be in place.

How can this happen, you ask. It's simple. Individual police officers will be assaulted, knifed, of killed, in order to take their sidearms, and their cars will be broken into to obtain their rifles or shotguns.

Also, National Guard Armories will be burglarized to obtain weapons of war, and rogue military custodians of similar articles will be selling them. (There is a Black Market for hand grenades.)

Now, enough of fantasy. Assume that a law were to be passed banning personal possession of firearms, which is so unlikely that it might be considered fantasy. But, if such a law were to be passed, there are multi-millions of firearms that would not be turned in for destruction. They would enter the underground Black Market economy and there are not enough police officers in the United States to effectively monitor or enforce such a ban.

So, face it --- you cannot rid America of guns.

Aha, the anti-gunners respond. At least we can ban “assault weapons” and “high capacity magazines.” We can make the remaining guns be less effective killing machines.

Well, not really.

Did you ever hear of Sgt. Alvin York? While a Corporal in World War I, he was credited with killing at least 25 German soldiers in a confrontation where they were trying to kill him. He was armed with a bolt action rifle adopted by the Army in 1903 and capable of firing only five rounds before being reloaded.

And, in addition there is still that pesky Second Amendment. People are entitled to own firearms as a right of the individual. The Supreme Court says so.

SO, please put your brains in gear and start thinking of some creative ways to prevent shootings at schools, or to mitigate their effects when they do occur. No solution is going to be 100% effective, but we need to work together in developing new ideas for school security.

Gun bans is not the answer.

Last edited by Carl in Tampa; 05-21-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Every time there is a mass shooting, the same old sides divide up and expostulate about their proposed solutions for preventing future shootings.

Today, I hope to bring a degree of rational realization about the real world to the Gun Ban crowd.

But first, let us play a "what if" game. Pretend with me that I have a magic wand that will allow me to simply wave it and at Noon tomorrow every gun in America that is not possessed by a law enforcement officer or a member of the military will disappear forever.

That's at Noon. By Midnight there will be thousands of guns in criminal hands across America, and a thriving Black Market for the sale and purchase of these guns will be in place.

How can this happen, you ask. It's simple. Individual police officers will be assaulted, knifed, of killed, in order to take their sidearms, and their cars will be broken into to obtain their rifles or shotguns.

Also, National Guard Armories will be burglarized to obtain weapons of war, and rogue military custodians of similar articles will be selling them. (There is a Black Market for hand grenades.

Now, enough of fantasy. Assume that a law were to be passed banning personal possession of firearms, which is so unlikely that it might be considered fantasy. But, if such a law were to be passed, there are multi-millions of firearms that would not be turned in for destruction. They would enter the underground Black Market economy and there are not enough police officers in the United States to effectively monitor or enforce such a ban.

Aha, the anti-gunners respond. At least we can ban “assault weapons” and “high capacity magazines.” We can make the remaining guns be less effective killing machines.

Well, not really.

Did you ever hear of Sgt. Alvin York? While a Corporal in World War II, he was credited with killing at least 25 German soldiers in a confrontation where they were trying to kill him. He was armed with a bolt action rifle adopted by the Army in 1903 and capable of firing only five rounds before being reloaded.

And, in addition there is still that pesky Second Amendment. People are entitled to own firearms as a right of the individual. The Supreme Court says so.

SO, please put your brains in gear and start thinking of some creative ways to prevent shootings at schools, or to mitigate their effects when they do occur. No solution is going to be 100% effective, but we need to work together in developing new ideas for school security.

Thank you very much Carl!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

Also, National Guard Armories will be burglarized to obtain weapons of war, and rogue military custodians of similar articles will be selling them. (There is a Black Market for hand grenades.

Well, not really.

Did you ever hear of Sgt. Alvin York? While a Corporal in World War II, he was credited with killing at least 25 German soldiers in a confrontation where they were trying to kill him. He was armed with a bolt action rifle adopted by the Army in 1903 and capable of firing only five rounds before being reloaded.

Extremely great post.

The problem is that most people want the simplest, cheapest solution, which is gun control. They gasp at the thought of putting more armed LEO's in school; they gasp at the thought of spending the money (aka taxes) to fund systems (locked doors w/ key card access and/or metal detectors, etc.) at schools; they gasp at the thought of putting armed school personnel in schools.

What parents really need to be doing is telling their kids they must say something if they see or think someone is doing something wrong.

Gun control, new gun laws and most definitely, gun bans is not the answer.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Mark Robinson

Thanks Carl! Good post.

I don't know if you have seen this video (a commercial may run first) (link) of Mark Robinson speaking at a council meeting in Greensboro North Carolina regarding the possibly of canceling a gun show. I must admit, he inspired me to become more vocal as I am, as Mark said, "the majority- the law abiding citizen".
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Wow. Mark Robinson, said a mouth full and was on the money as are the others who shared on this thread so far. There is no fight and guns will not be taken away from good people. Everyone from the gun seller to the gun buyer knows how to secure their gun so it never falls into the hands of somebody with the Stability Of Jello. No mistakes can be made. It's a tired and repeated story but necessary to be repeated over and over again until a solution is found.

Protect the Children at any cost. I'll pay higher taxes no problemo.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Great try at a red herring.

Almost NO ONE is saying..."Ban All Guns."

It's simply an attempt to scare gullible people...and sell more guns.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Love my guns.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	75135  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

"Almost no one". Like Senator Dianne Feinstein who is on public record for wanting to ban all guns? And continues to try and push legislation to neutralize the second amendment?

So, what new gun laws will prevent more killings? Haven't heard one yet, nor do I expect too.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
"Almost no one". Like Senator Dianne Feinstein who is on public record for wanting to ban all guns? And continues to try and push legislation to neutralize the second amendment?

So, what new gun laws will prevent more killings? Haven't heard one yet, nor do I expect too

NRA's Chris Cox falsely says Dianne Feinstein wanted to take 'all of your guns' | PolitiFact

What, the NRA...again?!

Facts Matter
Attached Images
false-png 
Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Also, National Guard Armories will be burglarized to obtain weapons of war, and rogue military custodians of similar articles will be selling them. (There is a Black Market for hand grenades.)

Well, not really.

Did you ever hear of Sgt. Alvin York? While a Corporal in World War I, he was credited with killing at least 25 German soldiers in a confrontation where they were trying to kill him. He was armed with a bolt action rifle adopted by the Army in 1903 and capable of firing only five rounds before being reloaded.

You could also change the title to read "ban drugs". Same logic applies.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Sage

Maybe I forgot to push send or maybe I was deleted. Most children are bused. How would you protect them before they get to school?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 PM
Sage

Simple

Ban all Guns.

When is this slaughter going to end?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Maybe I forgot to push send or maybe I was deleted. Most children are bused. How would you protect them before they get to school?
You're not going crazy, that post is in another thread.

Protect Our Childen

Not that I've ever had to click on my name...to find one of my posts.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

How come people don't start a band all cars movement every time some wack job uses one to purposely run over a bunch of innocent people?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:

Right on target. Practical approaches to gun control for the US. Crippling lawsuits against arms manufacturers would be a solution as that worked with tobacco for a while. They have modified the manufacture of tobacco quite but that is to be expected as where there is a need people find a way of fulfilling it like with booze and the prohibition.

Stop the sale of guns in gun shows unless they are very heavily regulated.

Get rid of the sale of guns that any reasonable person would see as a battlefield weapon.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
You're not going crazy, that post is in another thread.

Protect Our Childen

Not that I've ever had to click on my name...to find one of my posts.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Last edited by tomwed; 05-22-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ban, gun, guns, black, market

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.