Worse Lovebug season in a long time?

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Worse Lovebug season in a long time?

Does anyone else feel that this is the worse love bug season we've had in a long time??? I don't know if its our pond behind our houses, but my house and my neighbors are literally swarming with love bugs. They look like they are building nests and are completely covering my neighbors back door to her lanai and her windows. Its awful. We sprayed yesterday with long-shot wasp spray and many died but they are back again today in abundance. I never remember them swarming houses and its not even a white house?? Can't wait for this season to end.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We moved here in April of 2012. A short time after we arrived the lovebugs came out. I was thinking today that this time is no where hear as bad as that first time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 PM

New to all this. Buying a new home next month. Went by our completed home and noticed many dead love bugs in the lanai. Is it normal for them to get into a lanai? I realize a worker may have propped the door open but I doubt it as the home has been complete for a week. These bugs were not there a week ago. Should I be concerned?

I sure hope this is a heavy season.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Gold member

I agree, this is one of the worst infestations I have seen.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Sage

thanks for the thread Kathie. for those new to lovebugs if you don't soak them and get them off, they merge with the paint on your car leaving permanent pocks.
My alma mater, a resouce for anything in the natural world is relevant, but not in this case extensive:
Lovebugs - UF/IFAS Extension: Solutions for Your Life
more in depth for the car...
http://973thedawg.com/cheap-tips-for...ur-automobile/
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Sage

A little bit of water and a fabric softener dryer sheet will takes them right off.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbaru View Post
New to all this. Buying a new home next month. Went by our completed home and noticed many dead love bugs in the lanai. Is it normal for them to get into a lanai? I realize a worker may have propped the door open but I doubt it as the home has been complete for a week. These bugs were not there a week ago. Should I be concerned?

I sure hope this is a heavy season.
I wouldn't be overly concerned, I have dead love bugs in my house just from opening and closing my front door and/or garage. Someone may have opened the lanai door for just a moment and they got in.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Think the May group was worse but tis definitely unpleasant this year.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Think the May group was worse but tis definitely unpleasant this year.
This.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Sage

I posted a few weeks ago that it seemed like they were already going away - little did I know it was the calm before the storm. If you have any doubt how bad they are, go to Sam's club parking lot.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Gold member

Definitely the worse yet! Sounds like the bug zappers in Southern Trace Publix are playing "All You Need Is Love"!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Dreading my drive to Tampa today. I will need to find a huge white tractor trailer and follow close behind.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Sage

The lovebugs are annoying pests - but at least they do no damage like bite or sting. Just think if they were deer flies swarming here in the same numbers as lovebugs twice a year!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default It seems to have a lot to do with the amount of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Does anyone else feel that this is the worse love bug season we've had in a long time??? I don't know if its our pond behind our houses, but my house and my neighbors are literally swarming with love bugs. They look like they are building nests and are completely covering my neighbors back door to her lanai and her windows. Its awful. We sprayed yesterday with long-shot wasp spray and many died but they are back again today in abundance. I never remember them swarming houses and its not even a white house?? Can't wait for this season to end.
Splat! Lovebug season is back in full force, Lower Alabama gets invaded (photos, video) | al.com

The less rain prior to the oncoming of the love big seasons, the fewer love bugs.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM

I was driving in my golf cart going to my aerobic class the other day and one of the love bugs flew into my mouth!!!! I just about fainted!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.