WVLG radio

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM
SNOK
Default WVLG radio

I always enjoy hearing WVLG when in TV. When not there, it would be nice if WVLG was streamed on the internet so those of us that are not there full time could still listen in, not only for entertainment, but also to keep up with the goings on. The web site is good, but the radio would be more current. Anyone ever inquired about the possibility of WVLG streaming their programming? I'm sure it would require an investment in equipment, as well as an internet connection. Anyone have any idea if the cost would be prohibitive for a station as small as WVLG?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Veteran member

I don't know about the technical aspects or costs but I DID put the same suggestion on my 'resident survey'.
I also think it would be a good idea and aid in MARKETING.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Default Wvlg

Along those lines, how about for those of us up after 11PM, some talk radio. Couldn't hurt!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Platinum member

Your right about some talk radio at night. I can't get any other station, but 640 and night programing is not good. I ended up getting XM Radio. That solves the problem, but of course have to pay for it. When we moved here I was stunned at the lack of radio stations. Can get them on my car during the day, but that's it.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Founder

It is my opinion that you will never hear "talk" radio on WVLG. It goes against their business model.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Your right about some talk radio at night. I can't get any other station, but 640 and night programing is not good. I ended up getting XM Radio. That solves the problem, but of course have to pay for it. When we moved here I was stunned at the lack of radio stations. Can get them on my car during the day, but that's it.
Hi Avista,

After only spending 2 weeks in our new place in TV, I knew I'd have to do something about the lack of radio station choices. Need my sports talk to fall asleep.

Back here in the other world I also bought XM portable radio in preparation of our return in Nov. I have the house kit but since our bedroom window is opposite the bed, I need to figure out a way to ge the signal over to headphone at the bed. Wireless speaker with a jack? Have you faced the same problem and if so, how do you work it?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Platinum member

My antenna works if I keep it with the radio, but just aimed in the right direction. I have a portable radio that I connect it to and put the radio on AUX. When I say talk radio, I don't mean Rush Limbough and his ilk, but there are quite a few great stations.
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 10-15-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
It is my opinion that you will never hear "talk" radio on WVLG. It goes against their business model.
I agree with you. Potential discussion topics might not be in the builder/developers best interests.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Back here in the other world I also bought XM portable radio in preparation of our return in Nov. I have the house kit but since our bedroom window is opposite the bed, I need to figure out a way to ge the signal over to headphone at the bed. Wireless speaker with a jack? Have you faced the same problem and if so, how do you work it?
Does your XM receiver have a built-in FM modulator (aka FM transmitter)? Many models have this.

This is what I do. I set my XM receiver to transmit on 88.3FM. I tune in that frequency on a pocket-size FM radio with headphones and I'm good to go anywhere in (and near) my house.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Does your XM receiver have a built-in FM modulator (aka FM transmitter)? Many models have this.

This is what I do. I set my XM receiver to transmit on 88.3FM. I tune in that frequency on a pocket-size FM radio with headphones and I'm good to go anywhere in (and near) my house.
Hey Champion...

That's the solution!!!! Thanks, you just saved me $100 I might have spent on a wireless headphone setup.

I'm not sure if my XM radio has a built-in FM modulator but I have one I use in the car to play the XM on my FM car radio.

It's battery operated so I should be able to use it in the house, right?

Thanks for the idea.

Len
Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Platinum member

Now I'm confused. Don't know what an FM modulator is. I just have a portable radio that I can put on AUX, a pocket sized XM tuner and an antenna. Guess I shouldn't worry as it works just fine.
Tampa, FL
Old 10-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Default Wvlg

I'm involved with WVLG and you have to remember that they are trying to please an adult audience. People in their 50's do not necessarily like the music of those in their 70s+. The music starts off in the early AM as soft and relaxing and then increases in tempo through the day.
On streaming, it's very expensive, and there are copyrights involved.
WVLG is a station much like they had back in the 60s with real DJs, real weather people and local news and events. Most stations today are run from a small cubicle in a large building containing a lot of other stations. Content is network supplied and a call to that station will yield a admin person answering the phone.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Angry Wvlg

I'm really sorry to say that WX has it exactly right. There is very little "real" radio left. Lets enjoy WVLG while we can cause just like us, it's a dyeing breed.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up I Like It

Although we have XM radio I still enjoy listening to WVLG. It reminds me of WING in Dayton OH back in the day when Gene "By Golly" Barry and Steve Kirk were spinning 45's alongwith Dusty Roads in Cincinnati. A touch of yesteryear is pleasing to ones ears.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I really like the station.
Does anyone remember hearing Wolf man Jack back in the 60's...........
I was stationed at Edwards Air Force Base in California before going overseas and remember listening to him at night. He was a blast!
ARE YOUR PEACHES SWEET?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.