WVLG radio

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
Although we have XM radio I still enjoy listening to WVLG. It reminds me of WING in Dayton OH back in the day when Gene "By Golly" Barry and Steve Kirk were spinning 45's alongwith Dusty Roads in Cincinnati. A touch of yesteryear is pleasing to ones ears.
I wonder if that is the same Dusty Roads that is the DJ on XM46? She broadcasts from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and has some great stories of some of the older groups.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

I have to agree with F16, I have Sirius radio, while in TV I am always tuned to WVLG. My MG TD has never had a different station tuned in. I remember listening to it while sitting at Starbucks in LSL, the better half and I were discussing whether or not to buy our house and retire in TV.

One of my first impressions of the town squares was the music. Brought to mind Cousin Brucie, The WMCA good guys, Murray the K and of course Alan Freed. I guess it's the sounds of my youth and my future.

Keep the Music Alive.

Last edited by MelZ; 10-18-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Platinum member

F16:

"What's a '45,' Daddy?"

SWR
Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default 45???

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
F16:

"What's a '45,' Daddy?"

SWR
Smaller than a '78', son!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:28 PM

MelZ: Cousin Brucie can be heard on Sirius/XM. On XM receivers he's on "The Sixties" channel - channel 6.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Default WABC Radio - New York - 60's

I grew up in northwest NJ and was in high school in the 60's. Anyone out there who ever listened to WABC radio in NY - here's a great Web site and lots of sound bites from that wonderful age of rock 'n roll! Remember Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Scott Muni, Herb Oscar Anderson, Harry Harrison?? Check it out!

http://www.musicradio77.com/
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower3630 View Post
I grew up in northwest NJ and was in high school in the 60's. Anyone out there who ever listened to WABC radio in NY - here's a great Web site and lots of sound bites from that wonderful age of rock 'n roll! Remember Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Scott Muni, Herb Oscar Anderson, Harry Harrison?? Check it out!

Thanks for the link Sunflower!!! I opened it up but closed it fast cause it's bedtime and if I let myself start listening to it tonight , I'd never be able to get up for work.

This kid from central Connecticut let the radio steal sleep back then spending many hours, late into the night, listening to WABC and WKBW out of Buffalo (Joey Reynolds and Sandy Beach).

Rolls back the years.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

tpop, by work i assume you mean golf....GN
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
tpop, by work i assume you mean golf....GN
No ,the other 4-letter word was correct.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:38 AM

I've been reading the blog about radio stations. My question is: If I purchased a new HD radio, would I hear digital stations inside my stucco home? Does anyone have an HD radio they can recommend?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Anyone looking for loads of good music on the net might try www.tropicalglen.com/

You just pick your year and let it run. Lots of good songs.

Talking about radio 'back in the day' did anybody else listen to Jean Shepherd?

Walt.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Platinum member

Judy:

I bought an HD radio (an iLuv) with great reluctance. I'm 99.9% a classical music person and my best source for that in TV is UFla's FM operation (NPR). They recently split all their classical music (and then some) onto their HD channel. So, with a great deal of searching I bought an HD.

But, the HD broadcast doesn't get to me, despite an FM antenna in the roof, and one as a part of the radio. They nice folks in Gainesville, apologized, but said their signal is still not adequate for TV.

So, for me, a bad purchase. Since I almost never listen to AM, I can't comment on the viability of an HD there.

Eventually, maybe.

SWR
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Judy:

I bought an HD radio (an iLuv) with great reluctance. I'm 99.9% a classical music person and my best source for that in TV is UFla's FM operation (NPR). They recently split all their classical music (and then some) onto their HD channel. So, with a great deal of searching I bought an HD.

But, the HD broadcast doesn't get to me, despite an FM antenna in the roof, and one as a part of the radio. They nice folks in Gainesville, apologized, but said their signal is still not adequate for TV.

So, for me, a bad purchase. Since I almost never listen to AM, I can't comment on the viability of an HD there.

Eventually, maybe.

SWR
SWR,

We listen to NPR in the car - but also don't et it really well in the house. Although for Car Talk we will suffer a little static.

We sometimes listen to classical via DirectTV
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower3630 View Post

I grew up in Sussex County NJ...way up north. Listened to WABC all the time. Hear Brucie on XM Radio now.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
I wonder if that is the same Dusty Roads that is the DJ on XM46? She broadcasts from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and has some great stories of some of the older groups.
Hi Hawkwind,

The Dusty Rhodes that F16 is talking about was a Cincinnati DJ in the 60's and is now the auditor for Hamilton County where Cincinnati is located. When I was a kid, I used to hide my transistor radio under my pillow so I could listen to WSAI when I was supposed to be asleep. The transistor radio was kind of big though.

- - - - - - - -

When we were in TV two years ago, I really liked WVLG. When we get back there, I know I will still like it. I love the music of the 50's and 60's, and even the 40's. The lyrics are wonderful. (And I think I know most of them. The radio in my house was on all the time during my years in the playpen and the highchair. I guess some of those lyrics got stuck in my baby boomer head.)

I can find the other stuff on my iPod. But the stuff TVLG plays I don't have as much of.

But whatever would I do without an NPR station? (Sigh) I can only stand so much static. Sit in my car I guess. I can see that happening. Those NPR Driveway Moments will turn into Radio Free Boomer.

And thank you to those of you who put the links here to that old music.

And about radio stations.....remember "WKRP in Cincinnati"? I wish I could find some reruns.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-21-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.