WVLG radio

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Gold member

SWRINFLA,

Try WCPE which streams on line: http://theclassicalstation.org/today.shtml

Best classical radio station I have found.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM

Can you listen to wvlg on the internet?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABONKMONTAGE@MSN.COM View Post
I have looked for it up here in the north, but no luck...don't think they stream their audio?

Anybody find it?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABONKMONTAGE@MSN.COM View Post
No. WVLG is not streamed over the internet. I was able to find a few links via Google that had that option but none of them worked.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Exclamation Talk Radio

I just wanted to make an addendum to my earlier comment about talk radio and TV. I did not mean a LOCAL talk show, I doubt that anyone currently working for WVLG could handle such an assignment. I meant why not offer a talk show at night that comes out of Atlanta, or somewhere else, where local issues are NOT discussed, and at the same time could add some national political flavor to our menus here in TV.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default It ain't gonna happen.....

WVLG will never broadcast talk radio politics.

WVLG is part of TV's marketing concept. The music contributes to the marketing of the image of a place to relax and have fun and not worry and feel young again. And that's OK.

The station playing those wonderful oldies all the time is a part of the ambiance. The biggest controversy WVLG might create is some may think it's too much Sinatra and not enough Stones. (Not me. I like it like it is. But I don't own there yet. But as a potential buyer, I gotta tellya, I like that station. And besides, I got the Stones right here on my own iPod. But I don't have enough oldies.)

And I mean this in the kindest way possible......

And I am not trying to go political......

And I am just talking about marketing and how marketing works and not about the opinions of any individuals. They have a right to those, of course.

But talk radio just ain't gonna happen on that station.

Why?

Because only a marketing idiot politicizes a business if the business is not the business of politics. And TV's marketing department is not staffed with idiots.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-22-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: forgot a clause and then changing that T to a W
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
TVLG will never broadcast talk radio politics.

TVLG is part of TV's marketing concept. The music contributes to the marketing of the image of a place to relax and have fun and not worry and feel young again. And that's OK.

The station playing those wonderful oldies all the time is a part of the ambiance. The biggest controversy TVLG might create is some may think it's too much Sinatra and not enough Stones. (Not me. I like it like it is. But I don't own there yet. But as a potential buyer, I gotta tellya, I like that station. And besides, I got the Stones right here on my own iPod. But I don't have enough oldies.)

And I mean this in the kindest way possible......

And I am not trying to go political......

And I am just talking about marketing and how marketing works and not about the opinions of any individuals. They have a right to those, of course.

But talk radio just ain't gonna happen on that station.

Why?

Because only a marketing idiot politicizes a business if the business is not the business of politics. And TV's marketing department is not staffed with idiots.

Boomer

Well said. As mentioned before, this type of format would not be in the builder/developer's best interests.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default typo alert

Whoops!

I just looked back at my post from this morning and saw that I called the station TVLG not WVLG.

And I just sneaked in there and fixed it.

Was that typo just a duh for me? Or was it a Freudian slip? I just now caught it. (And some things I will just never know.)

Well, whatever it was, TV has a nice radio station going. TV controls it for marketing purposes. And that's OK.

But, you know, among all those TV residents, there is enough radio knowledge for some to start their own station.......could be fun.......but that sure would have to be one heckuva stealth antenna.......but just think.......your very own station.....any of you radio guys want to run that one up the flagpole?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-22-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Whoops!

I just looked back at my post from this morning and saw that I called the station TVLG not WVLG.

And I just sneaked in there and fixed it.

Was that typo just a duh for me? Or was it a Freudian slip? I just now caught it. (And some things I will just never know.)

Well, whatever it was, TV has a nice radio station going. TV controls it for marketing purposes. And that's OK.

But, you know, among all those TV residents, there is enough radio knowledge for some to start their own station.......could be fun.......but that sure would have to be one heckuva stealth antenna.......but just think.......your very own station.....any of you radio guys want to run that one up the flagpole?

Boomer

Interesting you should say this. The FCC in the past ten years has opened up a ton of licenses for what are called "class A" radio stations. They are FM stations with enough power to cover about a 30 or 40 mile area. They cannot be commerical, but can serve a community. Perhaps some residents would like to put one on the air.

"These stations are authorized for noncommercial educational broadcasting only (no commercial operation) and operate with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 100 watts (0.1 kilowatts) or less, with maximum facilities of 100 watts ERP at 30 meters (100 feet) antenna height above average terrain (HAAT)."
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 AM

I have a hard time believing that the majority of TV residents are just older versions of horny teenagers looking constantly for a thrill and not caring about what happens outside of TV. To those who cannot see beyond the "thrill of the dance" shame on you for your myopic and sad views. As Jerry Williams, a fairly famous talk show host from Florida years ago during the Nixon debaucle said, "Wake Up America."
Old 10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Soaring Parsley

Good morning,

I think we are having two different conversations here. And, of course, people need to be informed and aware of what is happening politically. But political talk radio broadcast on WVLG just won't happen.

Political talk today is more controversial than conversational and sometimes it can get downright combative. But whatever it is, it is definitely being served to us cafeteria style. People choose how they want to hear their news when it comes to talk radio. It is the business of Infotainment. And it causes lots and lots of controversy, no matter which direction the lean may be.

And while people may grumble a little because they think there is too much Dean Martin and not enough Doors on WVLG, I don't think that kind of controversy is going to cause spontaneous combustion like political talk radio can.

And therefore, WVLG will remain a marketing tool, but it will not market the business of politics because that is not the market TV is in. Political controversy would limit the target market. It's about smart marketing. That's all.

And it is kind of nice I think. Sometimes we can all use a little "Memories Are Made of This" playing in the background.

Peggy Sue Boomer

PS: Hey TH, can I have the morning drive-time slot? I am diurnal for sure. But please never, ever let me broadcast after midnight. I cannot be responsible for what I might say when I get sleepy. I am just a daytime kinda girl and I know if I would broadcast after midnight, I would get too sleepy and would be irresponsible and I could turn into one of those awful shock jocks. So even if I beg you for the late night spot, do not let me have it. OK?

Boomer in the Morning
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Gold member

There are talk radio stations everywhere up and down the dial, which appeal to all political and social leanings. They're easy to find, but IMO only, not too unique.

WVLG is a (smart) marketing tool, but their music and information format is unique and pleasant to my ears at least. If one tires of the format it's easy to find other options out there.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

And then there was WNEW...Clavin & Finch, William B. Williams ("Make Believe Ballroom") and Al 'Jazzbo' Collins ("Purple Pagoda")........that was radio!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Angry Talk Radio

Well, while all of us are entitled to our own opinion on the subject, I do agree with Boomer in that TV uses everything related to media to push TV lifestyle and promote sales. That being said, not all of us are "Stepford Wives" either. So we move here and turn our lives over to "big brother?" Is that what retirement is made of? Pity! Also remember, the philosophical statement......."I think, therefore I am!"
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Thumbs up Talk radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
My antenna works if I keep it with the radio, but just aimed in the right direction. I have a portable radio that I connect it to and put the radio on AUX. When I say talk radio, I don't mean Rush Limbough and his ilk, but there are quite a few great stations.
Bravo Avista on discretion with program preferences.
We love Coast to Coast AM and TV folk would too, even if a delay rebroadcast after prime time
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.