Where / how to sell vintage glasswear, china, silver cutlery, place-settings, etc.?

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2021, 02:27 PM
Default Where / how to sell vintage glasswear, china, silver cutlery, place-settings, etc.?

I'm finally getting around to trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff I inherited from parents and grandparents...how much this stuff is worth (if anything) I don't really know. Presumably the best way to get maximum value for it would be to list it on ebay and other online sites, but I've got zero interest in doing this.

Are there any reputable vintage / antique consignment shops within 30 miles or so of The Villages where I could take this stuff to either sell or consign to them to sell?

Yes, I know I could just donate it to Hospice Thrift shop, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc..
Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Bobs Coins and Jewelry | Serving Central Florida and The Villages

We had a good experience selling silver at Bobs Coin and Jewelry. They might be a good source to find buyer(s) for your other stuff.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

You can easily find out what it is worth by looking at similar items on eBay. They have almost anything.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Villages Florida

Traditions Antique Mall Wildwood, Florida

If you come to TV from I-75 on SR 44 in Wildwood you go right by the Traditions Antique Mall just before 301 and train overpass. It's huge, about the size a Home Depot. All the dealers are independent and many if not most are unattended. You'll need to go there and maybe get business cards from the shops that have similar merchandise and then discuss a consignment plan. You might talk to the operators at the front desk, they might know which dealers are looking for merchandise. The place has a steady flow of traffic but not a huge crowd of buyers.

For selling much quicker, try Renninger's Antique Market in Mount Dora, it's known all over the state and have thousands of shoppers every weekend. My parents who operated an antique store in St. Petersburg for 15 years would come and sell there on the weekends for many years. Same deal, you'll need to go and talk with the vendors and see which ones are willing to take your merchandise on consignment. Many vendors are not permanent, you want work with those in the buildings, not outside, who can keep your merchandise on the premises.

Renninger's Antique and Flea Market

The Villages Florida

If you have some small collectible items, such as in my father's case when he passed away I inherited over 150 antique knives. I sold them on eBay over about a four month time period and made about $5,000. This was back in 2005 when eBay was not as big as it is now, I didn't even have a digital camera then, which you need for photos. If you have something like this, fountain pens is another example of items my father collected. You can research them online or on eBay and see what they are worth. At the time I was using a knife collector's book for pricing and grading. I found for example, if a knife had a value of $300, it would probably sell for $150. They didn't cost me anything, so I sold them forever they would bring. Sometimes "Buy Now" and sometimes use an auction. You'll need boxes, a tape gun and a program to make labels on your computer and then you can be in business. Set up an account with eBay if you haven't already, and you'll need a Paypal account for accepting payments.

Last edited by John_W; 02-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:42 PM

You could always contact an Estate Sales company... lots of folks out there would love to have it!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:45 PM

Estate Sales company will take care of selling it for you. Lots of folks out there would love to have what you have described.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:58 AM

Unless you have something very unique, I would not expect to get much. The market is flooded with "vintage" articles from parents, grandparents.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:14 AM

Hi!
I just sold some stuff to Replacements LTD, so easy! I googled how to sell to Replacements LTD and found a link to their selling website. You pick the pattern you have and submit a form. They e mail you with a purchase list. If the items you have are on it you box up and ship to them. Didn't get top dollar, but out of my cupboards!
Hope that helps!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Unless you have something very unique, I would not expect to get much. The market is flooded with "vintage" articles from parents, grandparents.
If they really are vintage or antique, they will get top dollar. People list lots of things as antique. The buyers who know what they are looking at will just pass all the ones with false claims and head for the true antiques
Old 02-02-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
I'm finally getting around to trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff I inherited from parents and grandparents...how much this stuff is worth (if anything) I don't really know. Presumably the best way to get maximum value for it would be to list it on ebay and other online sites, but I've got zero interest in doing this.

Are there any reputable vintage / antique consignment shops within 30 miles or so of The Villages where I could take this stuff to either sell or consign to them to sell?

Yes, I know I could just donate it to Hospice Thrift shop, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc..
I suggest that you log onto Replacements.com. They buy china, glassware and flatware and then resell it to people who are looking for specific pieces.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages Florida

Traditions Antique Mall Wildwood, Florida

If you come to TV from I-75 on SR 44 in Wildwood you go right by the Traditions Antique Mall just before 301 and train overpass. It's huge, about the size a Home Depot. All the dealers are independent and many if not most are unattended. You'll need to go there and maybe get business cards from the shops that have similar merchandise and then discuss a consignment plan. You might talk to the operators at the front desk, they might know which dealers are looking for merchandise. The place has a steady flow of traffic but not a huge crowd of buyers.

For selling much quicker, try Renninger's Antique Market in Mount Dora, it's known all over the state and have thousands of shoppers every weekend. My parents who operated an antique store in St. Petersburg for 15 years would come and sell there on the weekends for many years. Same deal, you'll need to go and talk with the vendors and see which ones are willing to take your merchandise on consignment. Many vendors are not permanent, you want work with those in the buildings, not outside, who can keep your merchandise on the premises.

Renninger's Antique and Flea Market

The Villages Florida

If you have some small collectible items, such as in my father's case when he passed away I inherited over 150 antique knives. I sold them on eBay over about a four month time period and made about $5,000. This was back in 2005 when eBay was not as big as it is now, I didn't even have a digital camera then, which you need for photos. If you have something like this, fountain pens is another example of items my father collected. You can research them online or on eBay and see what they are worth. At the time I was using a knife collector's book for pricing and grading. I found for example, if a knife had a value of $300, it would probably sell for $150. They didn't cost me anything, so I sold them forever they would bring. Sometimes "Buy Now" and sometimes use an auction. You'll need boxes, a tape gun and a program to make labels on your computer and then you can be in business. Set up an account with eBay if you haven't already, and you'll need a Paypal account for accepting payments.

Well said. I’ve sold a couple thousand books on eBay. Also many musical instruments. But a good ad takes me time to photograph and write. My girlfriend has sold a lot of designer clothing, purses, shoes, and China she’s had around for years using some easy eBay approach and her cell phone and sold lots of stuff. However, if you sell clothes, they’d better not have stains or wear you don’t mention, or they will be returned. If you sell china, pack it carefully, because if it breaks, it’s your loss. Selling a whole set of china and shipping it is tough. You will need a LOT of bubble wrap and big boxes. For stuff like that, offering it for pickup only on Craig’s List at a bargain price often works well. I’ve often sold power tools that way. Works well with breakable things. I once had a bunch of furniture, stove, refrigerator I didn’t want. I put it on Craig’s List in the Free section, and it was all gone in a few hours. Some people go around getting stuff like that all the time, put it in their truck, then sell it to other people for a few bucks. Good for them! It’s out of my hair.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Unfortunately the market for this stuff is fading hard. Younger generations care more about their giant TV’s and phones than fine china and silverware.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 02-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

It will cost you money to sell to replacements. Most of the stuff has no value.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 AM

Good Luck. The younger people seem to have no use for our collectables.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post

We do not know what you have. You do say you do not wish to sell it on ebay. I'm not sure why. Frankly, I am a pack rat and had tons of stuff before we moved to the villages. It is a lot of work to sell on ebay-perhaps your reason for not wanting to do it.
When, I did it first of all I did well in terms of money. Among other adventures, I discovered that the brass door knobs I had are on page ???? of the book on collectable door knobs. I got over $100 for what I was going to scrap. I am still laughing that there are people who collect door knobs. Wife says I collect dust.

For you, you can find people who will list and sell it for you. I would not. I think they take like half of what you get. You might want to try that.
Closed Thread

Tags
sell, stuff, vintage, consign, shop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.