You can order 4 free Covid tests

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2022, 03:58 PM
Thanked 1,058 Times in 224 Posts
Default You can order 4 free Covid tests

Right now, you can order 4 free Covid tests at covidtests.gov. I just ordered ours. Simple!
Old 01-18-2022, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

Thank you for posting!
Old 01-18-2022, 06:32 PM

Does traditional Medicare pay for the cost of these “free” at-home covid tests?

Thank you.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark7 View Post

Thank you.
Free is free. They don't ask you for your medical information. You can order it from the USPS (postal service) website: special.usps.com/testkits

You give your name, e-mail address, mailing address. That's it. They'll send you 4 test kits at the end of the month (though I imagine they'll be backlogged and would wait til mid-February before complaining that you didn't get your free tests).
Old 01-18-2022, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.
Just fill out the form on the website. It does not ask ANYTHING about insurance.
Once you put in address it shows number of tests = $0!!!!
Old 01-18-2022, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohappytobehere View Post
Right now, you can order 4 free Covid tests at covidtests.gov. I just ordered ours. Simple!
And now for the obvious question that I just asked of the other person who posted the same thing: Did you NEED them, or did you order them because they are "free'?
Old 01-18-2022, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And now for the obvious question that I just asked of the other person who posted the same thing: Did you NEED them, or did you order them because they are "free'?
May need them by the time they get here.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.
Apparently, the tests are free to anyone who wants to order them. Paid for by the taxpayers and not tied to Medicare. I don't think you need to prove anything, except that you have an address in the U.S. I hope they are not available to be shipped around the world at U.S. taxpayer expense.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:28 PM
Thanked 1,058 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, we don't need them right now. But if it should become necessary, I don't want to have to drive around locating one.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,247 Posts

CDC Guidance for when to self test.

Self-Testing | CDC

When to Consider Self-Testing

Self-tests may be used if you have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed or potentially exposed to an individual with COVID-19.

Even if you don’t have symptoms and have not been exposed to an individual with COVID-19, using a self-test before gathering indoors with others can give you information about the risk of spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. This is especially important before gathering with unvaccinated children, older individuals, those who are immunocompromised, or individuals at risk of severe disease.

A positive test result indicates that you likely have a current infection, and you should isolate and inform close contacts.

A negative test result indicates that you may not be infected and may be at low risk of spreading disease to others, though it does not rule out an infection. Repeating the test will increase the confidence that you are not infected. Performing serial tests, meaning two or more tests over several days with at least 24 hours between tests—with one test as close as possible to the event you will attend—improves the reliability of testing and reduces your risk of transmitting disease to others even further. Some self-tests require this type of repeat testing in the manufacturer’s instructions.

Correct sample collection is key to accurate results.

Self-Testing | CDC
Old 01-19-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
CDC Guidance for when to self test.

Self-Testing | CDC

When to Consider Self-Testing

Self-tests may be used if you have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed or potentially exposed to an individual with COVID-19.

Even if you don’t have symptoms and have not been exposed to an individual with COVID-19, using a self-test before gathering indoors with others can give you information about the risk of spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. This is especially important before gathering with unvaccinated children, older individuals, those who are immunocompromised, or individuals at risk of severe disease.

A positive test result indicates that you likely have a current infection, and you should isolate and inform close contacts.

A negative test result indicates that you may not be infected and may be at low risk of spreading disease to others, though it does not rule out an infection. Repeating the test will increase the confidence that you are not infected. Performing serial tests, meaning two or more tests over several days with at least 24 hours between tests—with one test as close as possible to the event you will attend—improves the reliability of testing and reduces your risk of transmitting disease to others even further. Some self-tests require this type of repeat testing in the manufacturer’s instructions.

Correct sample collection is key to accurate results.

Self-Testing | CDC
Watch the case number grow 1000% in the next 2 weeks.......all the false positives..
Old 01-19-2022, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drducat View Post
Watch the case number grow 1000% in the next 2 weeks.......all the false positives..
Exactly, I have zero confidence they will be accurate, just another waste of taxpayer money.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drducat View Post
I wonder more about the opposite. These testa are not as sensitive as PCR tests, so there may be more false negative ones, therefore more contagious people going about infecting others. I also wonder if these at home tests come with instructions to report somewhere if you're Covid positive...
Old 01-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Exactly, I have zero confidence they will be accurate, just another waste of taxpayer money.
Agree. These home tests have a notoriously high rate of both false positives and false negatives, thus making their predictive value fairly low. Add to that most people will probably not insert the swab far enough, thus collecting an inadequate sample leading to a false negative result. All in all, I'm afraid this home testing plan is less COVID mitigation and more COVID mitigation theater.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I wonder more about the opposite. These testa are not as sensitive as PCR tests, so there may be more false negative ones, therefore more contagious people going about infecting others. I also wonder if these at home tests come with instructions to report somewhere if you're Covid positive...
That's another good question----physicians and other testing sites are under a reporting mandate, home tests won't be. That's the main reason that home tests are not accepted for travel guidelines----no cruise ship or foreign government will accept test results gathered under the "honor system".
Closed Thread

Tags
order, free, covid, tests, covidtests.gov

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.