American Association of Law Libraries Past Conventions

Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Past AALL Annual Meeting Locations

I was a pest for these starting in Reno, Nevada in 1989 and going up through the one in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1996. Decided it was a waste of money sending all those snail mail letters out after 1996 to people who were going to go to these conventions. Trying to get them to actually just look at the letters I had received from lawyers, victim/witness assistance providers, Attorney Generals from various States, various association leaders, and many others.

All part of my 224 613 Project. I had been trying to get the help of CEOs, social workers, psychiatrists, psychologists, movie stars, movie directors, movie studio heads, soap opera stars, soap opera writers, advertisers, etc. to spotlight the problem that these received letters showed.

Future Annual Meeting Dates and Locations Will be interesting to see what happens in these future AALL meetings.
Back to my original purpose of posting these.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
I was at the one in Reno, Nevada in 1989. This was about six weeks after I graduated from the U of MN Law School in May of 1989. I was introduced as the cataloger of all the WESTLAW computer files.

Then I went to the AALL meeting in Minneapolis in 1990 and the one in New Orleans in 1991 as well as the one
in San Francisco in 1992. Could not afford to go to any of the others so I had to just use snail mail to write various people attending these conventions.
Trying to get back to why I posted these in the first place.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM
n/a

Quote:
Law libraries are our checks and balances on the legal system. Or one of the most important ones of these safe guards if someone does not get why this is important. Many people do understand why this is important.

The Shawshank Redemption - Movie Quotes - Rotten Tomatoes

What Shawshank Redemption Can Teach You About Business

Also check out the law library in the Tom Hanks movie Philadelphia Philadelphia (2/8) Movie CLIP - More Comfortable (1993) HD - YouTube or the public library in Hidden Figures and that church in Hidden Figures while you are at it.

Ivanka Trump Tweet About Libraries Doesn'''t Go Down Well | Fortune.com
Again. Putting these up so other people can see these without distractions.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM
n/a

Quote:
Film Collection at the Law Library | University of Wisconsin Law School

A twist on this. Law libraries collect movies and I wonder if their law students are starting to notice some interesting things going on in these movies since at least 1996's Dustin Hoffman/Rene Russo's Outbreak up through 2016's Passengers. Passengers (2016) - Rotten Tomatoes
Another one of these posts about the AALL conventions.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 PM
n/a

Quote:
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

The law.

Some of you people on my Ignore List are being quite malicious IMHO. And I do take you off of it but just to see what you wrote on occasion and to make a record of these personal and often false, insulting and very upsetting posts against me.
Tal, I think you need to get a hobby or maybe even a job. Your time would be better spent in those pursuits. Owing to your fragile mental state, you clearly should not be posting on the internet.

I also find your reference to some posters as "********" and your intent to intentionally inflict emotional distress on others by threatening to take legal action, albeit baseless, to be quite disturbing.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:43 PM
n/a

I had also requested Programs for the American Library Association meetings for years and wrote many of the presenters there about my concerns about practical information for survivors/victims of crimes within these libraries.

However, I only actually went to one of these in Dallas, Texas in 1984 with a group of MA library graduates and we stayed at the Texas Women's University just outside of Dallas in Denton.

ALA Upcoming Annual Conferences & Midwinter Meetings | Conferences & Events

Past ALA Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings | Conferences & Events

Past Annual Conferences, 1876-Present | Conferences & Events
Old 04-18-2017, 07:53 AM
n/a

Talked recently with a local librarian who used to work at the library when it was at Saddlebrook Rec Center where it was just a little room.

She said she was getting the old gang together.

Or, she is seeing people whom she used to see in the little room in the Recreation building.

I just want to say that most public librarians I have met are quite nice. Law librarians are a different story as many of these are lawyers who no longer wanted to deal with lawyering. And a lot of politics is very much involved with just who really gets access to what valuable information on how to deal with the legal system.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM
n/a

Had wanted to go into law librarianship because of a man I admired in Denver, Al Coco, who was the Law Library Director there around 1984. Good man. Finding the law : a workbook on legal research for laypersons : Coco, Al : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 AM
n/a

What is a 224 613? I asked around, and people tell me it's two pills. One opiate pill 224 to make you high, another 613 an allergy pill to stop the itching associated with the opiate.

I did know the meaning of 420 and pot, but, I did not realize there were so many pill poppers in the villages.

Learn something everyday. Must be the younger generation.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 AM
n/a

I assume this 224 613 project is an effort to prevent opiate deaths in the country. Seems like a good cause.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
I assume this 224 613 project is an effort to prevent opiate deaths in the country. Seems like a good cause.
Sounds like Alice in Wonderland. One pill to make you big; the other to make you small.

The 224 613 Project is my effort based on my experiences dealing with the Michelle Mitchell 2-24-1976 murder in Reno, Nevada to get practical materials for survivors/victims of crimes into or accessible through libraries of all kinds. 613 is my number in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed conducted by the University of California, SF Health Sciences campus in late 1992-1993. I had used these two numbers 224 and 613 from late 1992 onward to create an international dialog-- which is still going on-- about the practical needs of survivors of crimes. I am using contacts made over the last 41 years starting in Reno, Nevada to do this. Part of these contacts come from the institutions where in earned four degrees and had started work on getting two others. 2-24 is also my birthday.

The people I have tried to get involved include movie directors, news anchors, movie stars, victim/witness assistance providers, CEOs, politicians, writers, psychiatrists, social workers, physicians, nurses, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, First Ladies, lawyers, publishers, the FBI, Interpol, librarians, etc.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Sounds like Alice in Wonderland. One pill to make you big; the other to make you small.

The 224 613 Project is my effort based on my experiences dealing with the Michelle Mitchell 2-24-1976 murder in Reno, Nevada to get practical materials for survivors/victims of crimes into or accessible through libraries of all kinds. 613 is my number in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed conducted by the University of California, SF Health Sciences campus in late 1992-1993. I had used these two numbers 224 and 613 from late 1992 onward to create an international dialog-- which is still going on-- about the practical needs of survivors of crimes. I am using contacts made over the last 41 years starting in Reno, Nevada to do this. Part of these contacts come from the institutions where in earned four degrees and had started work on getting two others. 2-24 is also my birthday.

The people I have tried to get involved include movie directors, news anchors, movie stars, victim/witness assistance providers, CEOs, politicians, writers, psychiatrists, social workers, physicians, nurses, Presidents, Vice-Presidents, First Ladies, lawyers, publishers, the FBI, Interpol, librarians, etc.
That sounds very noble. Sorry if I brought back any bad memories of any crime you may have been the victim of. Was Michelle your friend or significant other?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
That sounds very noble. Sorry if I brought back any bad memories of any crime you may have been the victim of. Was Michelle your friend or significant other?
She was the daughter of my most important teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell at Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada. The family gave me a small Memorial Scholarship in her name for the 1976-1977 Academic Year for college. I shared this with the late John Picollo. I never met Michelle though but John Picollo and others were questioned in her murder which took three years to "solve". But, they convicted the wrong person twice and she spent 35 years in a mental ward in Las Vegas because she had made a false confession to get a better room in a Louisiana jail. Rather messy. Cathy Woods is the falsely convicted woman. It turned out that Rodney Halbower had killed her probably. He was/is the San Mateo Slasher/Gypsy Hill killer of the San Francisco, CA area.

Ed Mitchell the father of Michelle and wife of Barbara Mitchell taught at a different Reno, Nevada High School. So many people were affected by this murder of Michelle Mitchell. The student bodies of two of Reno, Nevada's High Schools. And the crime scene was across the street from the University of Nevada, Reno where I got two BAs in Philosophy (December 1980) and History (1981).
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
She was the daughter of my most important teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell at Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada. The family gave me a small Memorial Scholarship in her name for the 1976-1977 Academic Year for college. I shared this with the late John Picollo. I never met Michelle though but John Picollo and others were questioned in her murder which took three years to "solve". But, they convicted the wrong person twice and she spent 35 years in a mental ward in Las Vegas because she had made a false confession to get a better room in a Louisiana jail. Rather messy. Cathy Woods is the falsely convicted woman. It turned out that Rodney Halbower had killed her probably. He was/is the San Mateo Slasher/Gypsy Hill killer of the San Francisco, CA area.

Ed Mitchell the father of Michelle and wife of Barbara Mitchell taught at a different Reno, Nevada High School. So many people were affected by this murder of Michelle Mitchell. The student bodies of two of Reno, Nevada's High Schools. And the crime scene was across the street from the University of Nevada, Reno where I got two BAs in Philosophy (December 1980) and History (1981).
This is very confusing. The "project" is about a victim you never met? And it's about libraries?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 AM
n/a

Quote:
This is very confusing. The "project" is about a victim you never met? And it's about libraries?
The project is about empowering survivors/victims of crimes through improving resources available through or in libraries of kinds. Take Sex Trafficking. There are certain words and such sometimes used by victims/survivors of this knowledge of these codes so to speak especially by social workers, teachers, nurses, librarians, pastors, etc. can help these people.

This is about education. And I got put into 14 Marquis Who's Who publications in the 1990s. Nominated to 24.

The sex trafficking knowledge is something a prison worker noticed and who is taking risks to educate others about things he noticed among sex trafficking victims/survivors. This was/is in 2016/2017 that he does this work.

Or, how news anchors stay with victims/survivors by focusing on their needs rather than just going on-and-on about the offender. I have been writing the media since late 1991.

There are thousands if not ten of thousands of people involved in this Project as I have been at this since around June 1991 but did not start using the numbers 224 613 until late 1992. Look for these numbers.

The librarians though are the people whose attitudes I wanted to change the most. Mostly law librarians in the 1990s.

I really cannot go into more detail on a site like Talk of the Villages. And especially not on its Political Forum where there are some very cruel and extremely juvenile posters.

Tags
starting, past, conventions, libraries, law

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.