Bi-Partisan Bill To Legalize Marijuana

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I was on the Board of Directors for an organization that dealt with run a way teens. Attended more than one group therapy session as an observer and after 5 years of inolvement there is no one including Jesus Christ, praise be his holy name, that could convince me that legalization is anything more than users push to get people out of their way from continuing their irresponsible habit. As one member said how long before we get this addiction covered by medicare/medicaid.

The stories that unfolded at those group meetings had me in tears as I watched families struggling with what was described as reacreational use gone awry.

MJ has a higher THC content today than it did in the pass. Kids have no viable role models. Movie idols tell kids drugs are cool, sports figures tell kids drugs are the avenue to success.. Movies suggest that drugs are natural and common place. and now we have the government saying it is OK to do drugs.

What the heck is happening to us? Which way is our moral compass pointed? Why is abnormal behavior cool and the new norm? Who made what rule?

Have todays parents abidicated their responsibilities preferring the governement to tell them what is acceptable. Is teaching diversity more important that civics and history which by the way measures high schools effectiveness at only 12%. Sorry members but when our kids are more focus on their waist measurements than they are their IQ's you know we are in deep trouble.
I know. Parents have the ultimate responsibility to teach their offspring, don't they. The collapse of the moral compass provided for people by their churches is fast disappearing in many parts of the country, also.

When I was a kid, beer and wine, and more, was readily available if you had any imagination, and we did, believe me. But after the initial thrill of rebellion wore off though, we settled into our more adult socialized behavior concerning the stuff. It was the "forbidden" that was so exciting at that time.

There's no easy answer and way to protect kids from experimenting. marijuana is as easy, or easier, to get today as ever. Any one who wants it can locate a source pretty easily if desired. I think regulating the stuff would give the government more of a handle on it's use and abuse than the ineffective policies currently failing to even dent the trade in it. There's too much money in it.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM
n/a

Unhappy Comparing

It is so sad to compare driving to drug use. Anyone who has visitied a crisis
center or seen someone having a grand maul seizier from drugs, or someone
laying in this hospital with liver failure. If you want to know what a liver looks
like after alcohol abuse just take a sponge, let it totally dry out, squeeze it and watch it crumble. If you want to see a young person using marijuana
just hang out near a drug center and watch their behavior. If you want to
really see some action go to a corner where you can buy the pot and then be ready for the person to offer a stronger drug, (e.g. coke, etc.). Oh of course you are an adult and can dismiss the offer. Think of a young person
13-16 years old and how strong they are in saying no after peer pressure. But
their parents smoke weed so they should be able to buy it from someone..
Most of the people who try to justify drugs, including marijuana and alcohol do not see the real destruction or attend meeting to see the family impact.
I am off the soap box. Some attitudes just make the Theryapist gain more
patients and bank more revenue.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is so sad to compare driving to drug use. Anyone who has visitied a crisis
center or seen someone having a grand maul seizier from drugs, or someone
laying in this hospital with liver failure. If you want to know what a liver looks
like after alcohol abuse just take a sponge, let it totally dry out, squeeze it and watch it crumble. If you want to see a young person using marijuana
just hang out near a drug center and watch their behavior. If you want to
really see some action go to a corner where you can buy the pot and then be ready for the person to offer a stronger drug, (e.g. coke, etc.). Oh of course you are an adult and can dismiss the offer. Think of a young person
13-16 years old and how strong they are in saying no after peer pressure. But
their parents smoke weed so they should be able to buy it from someone..
Most of the people who try to justify drugs, including marijuana and alcohol do not see the real destruction or attend meeting to see the family impact.
I am off the soap box. Some attitudes just make the Theryapist gain more
patients and bank more revenue.
The only thing I'm going to say to you is that after reading all of your posts is...........the word is "therapist"
Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 AM
n/a

I've seen just as many people who have no problem with marijuana as those that cannot handle it. Much like alcohol.

Some of the smartest people I've ever known - including those who have started several successful enterprises - have used it. When I specifically asked a close friend why, he said that if he took prescribed medication for his condition, it made him sick. Marijuana didn't make him sick.

Me? I've never touched the stuff. Closest I came was twice getting a 'contact high' from being in the same room - and that was when I was 16 & 18.

I don't like it. My gut reaction is to NOT legalize the stuff. BUT - considering that alcohol is legal and taxes, it's hard to argue against that.

As far as the 'gateway drug' business, that's the argument of the 1970s and 80s.

And if you're hanging around or working in treatment facilities, yeah, that's what you're going to see - people ruined by drugs. I was shocked to find out how much was going in in people's everyday lives who WEREN'T ruined. I'd never heard the term "high functioning alcoholic" (and similar others) until I was in my 30s.

For the most part, I'm neutral on this - though I'd like to see the equivalent of a 'breathalyzer' for cannabis.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 AM
n/a

Lightbulb Thanks

As they say..most people who support the useage are the ones that want to use it and could care less about the long term effects (medically and physically) and on the family and on the risks of exposing youth. Of course there are ones that can use it and not go on to further drugs. Of course they still suffer the medical and physically effects but that is tied to the denial. And of course alcohol does harm to body and some can escape the potential addictions but not the physical harm. If someone wants to have a cocktail
once in awhile there is absolutely no harm. It is the abusers that also like to expand the mental escape through marijuana + on to other drugs.
Good luck. Since we have 2 in the immediate family who deal with these individuals the good news is that their patient census just grows as does their revenue. One has such a patient load that they cannot take any additional and there are alot waiting for help.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
n/a

The bottom line, and I am sure all will agree, is that this bill has no chance whatsoever of making it into law.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
n/a

Yeah, it's in the "fat chance" category.

Imagine if someone were trying to bring a new product, "Beer", to market. Think the FDA would allow it?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
The bottom line, and I am sure all will agree, is that this bill has no chance whatsoever of making it into law.
Tbug...from your lips to God's ears.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Tbug...from your lips to God's ears.
I think God will leave this matter to men to decide. After all, marijuana is one of God's creations.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I think God will leave this matter to men to decide. After all, marijuana is one of God's creations.
richielion: Yes but in my hometown they used it the way God intended...and that was to make rope and not to add it as an ingredient to a cookie receipe

Bottom line, it isn't what God gives us ,its, do we have enough sense to use it wisely and in that vien the 1980 TV commercial expresses it best "That's why its called dope".
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
n/a

Quote:
richielion: Yes but in my hometown they used it the way God intended...and that was to make rope and not to add it as an ingredient to a cookie receipe

Bottom line, it isn't what God gives us ,its, do we have enough sense to use it wisely and in that vien the 1980 TV commercial expresses it best "That's why its called dope".

Cannabis has beneficial applications, among them known medical uses. You presume too much when you anoint yourself a prophet of God's intentions of his gifts to man.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
n/a

Default Grow the crop

Just let me know where to sign up to grow it, when its legal
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM
n/a

Unhappy Gifts

Regarding gifts to man..God also gave us poison..That does not mean everyone should be sure to use it.
Everyone should go ahead and use any drug they feel they need to ruin their life, escape reality, cause them medical problems, etc. But putting the family at postential risk is another thing. That is not their right.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Regarding gifts to man..God also gave us poison..That does not mean everyone should be sure to use it.
Everyone should go ahead and use any drug they feel they need to ruin their life, escape reality, cause them medical problems, etc. But putting the family at postential risk is another thing. That is not their right.
Now you're just being silly instead of just being annoyingly self-righteous. Poison has it's uses as well. You need to expand your mind.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 PM
n/a

Smile Not Personal

I do find there is humor in being called "self righteous" because I don't want to use drugs and escape the beautiful joys of life. If that is being "self righteous" then I confess that is what I am.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.