Dont you wonder how certain segments of our society

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't disagree with your closing statement. However it has been documented AND admitted by attendees, including Newt Gingrich, that republican leaders met THE NIGHT OF OBAMA'S INAUGURATION, and pledged to do everything in their power to obstruct this President's agenda. I am not overreacting - it is fact, and it was long before the ACA.
I have heard those stories and if they ever turn out to be true, I would be very disappointed A year ago, the Washington Post investigated the ongoing statments about obstruction.....

"So far this year, Republicans in Congress have blocked every serious idea to strengthen the middle class.

President Obama, weekly address, July 12, 2014

This has become a standard line in the presidents oratory, as part of making his case that hes acted this year to help working Americans on my own when Congress wont act.

The president started on this path on June 27, during a speech in Minnesota: You know, sometimes Im forcibly, you know, politic about how I say things, but Im finding lately that I just want to say whats on my mind. So, let me just be clear I want you to think about this, so far this year the Republicans in Congress have blocked or voted down every single serious idea to strengthen the middle class.

And Obama repeated it on July 1: So far this year, Republicans in Congress have blocked or voted down every serious idea to strengthen the middle class.

But heres the odd thing: on the very day the president recorded his weekly address, the office of House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) released this photo under the happy headline of What Working Together Looks Like. It showed Boehner, Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and other lawmakers signing the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, which streamlines job training programs, so it could be sent to Obama for his signature.

This morning, leaders of both parties in the House came together to get something done for the millions of Americans who continue to struggle to find work in todays economy, the news release said.


Obamas claim that the GOP has blocked every serious idea - The Washington Post

I think what you hear and have taken a tight hold of was a POLITICAL meeting....one that was documented actually in a book during the 2008 election I think but if you read it, you will find it was more political (do not act like a minority...make him earn it, etc) which if I felt it was vital I could easily come up with like quotes and meetings on the other side.

Your point is a fair one;...fact is bills were passed and pushed aside...the charge that the House did nothing is not true.

WHAT IS TRUE is that neither party has even tried to work together in anway. I mention the Affordable Care Act for this reason and this is my PERSONAL opinion...I have no links or anything. All I can say is I have been intimately involved in politics basically all my life...for a time, that was my job, and ironically for the Democratic Party.

In any case, never in my life have I seen such a defeated group like the Republican party during the Affordable Care act process. There was a meeting telecast live.....as a result of pressure being applied....Short story...Obama made a promise many time about public conversations with both parties represented and telecast on CSPAN. He just ignored that and the media was on him about it, so he engineered a "dog and pony show" that was telecast, where frankly and if you saw it you would recall it...where the Republicans were treated as younger brothers and sisters and basically mocked. NEVER had I seen any party so defeated. It was embarassing to me an must have been simple horror for the Republicans who attended.

In any case, it was compounded because the Democrats left that meeting and went again behind closed doors to discuss this bill.

THAT DAY to me was a turning point in attitude. I think when one party has the WH and both houses, and rubs it in...it hurts and is deflating. Not once in either term has the WH reached out.

In any case, I am sure there is evidence for what you say, and as I said I have seen it, but to me, it was all political and not all that unique (no sense looking and boring you with like stories from the other side)....I am doint all my measuring by ACTIONS...bills passed, etc.

At least we agree that they better get it together. I am sure that you do not agree that the weight of that is on the President but I think as he has say over and ovr and over and over, he will veto anything he does not like will not being them together.
  #17  
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
And Senator Mitch McConnell said his "number one goal is to make sure Barack Obama is a one-term president". Well, he failed miserably at his number one goal and has never recovered.
It was a political goal and because I think swapping political talk among parties is just plain sensless, I will not bore you with Ms Pelosi and Reids comments over the years.

Here it the problem....exchanging quotes means nothing because we are makin NO effort to understand what is happening and what they feel and more importantly are DOING about our problems.

I do not think either party owns right nor either party owns wrong. It is just senseless to exchange quotes because it is so EASY to find them on both sides

I do believe in my heart, that we as voters need to discuss issues....insure we understand them so that we can understand what our "leaders" are saying and actually,more importantly hold our own party leaders feet to the fire. We all talk about how polarized the parties are and we are greasing the wheels to make that continue. As long as our party leaders feel that we are listening to them and not actually making an effort to find the truth.

PLEASE, it is really....well cannot think of a kind word....but it is lets say NOT FEASABLE to represent any one side as right or wrong. Again I ask about the bills that the Senate would not even allow up for debate...even Democrats have complained about that.
  #18  
Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

March 17, 2005.....Nancy Pelosi speaking of GW Bush

"Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. He must be stopped.
―Nancy Pelosi


Read more at Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. He must be stopped.
  #19  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

December 13, 2004...Harry Reid

"I know procedures around here. And I know that there will still be Senate business conducted. But I will, for lack of a better word, screw things up.
―Harry Reid


Read more at I know procedures around here. And I know that there will still be Senate business conducted. But I will, for lack of a ...
  #20  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The reason I posted those last two quotes is that I am sort of bored with the constant repitition of these kind of things as if we were talking about Satan.

The President must meet with congressional leaders and get their act together...both parties and he has to stop his Alinsky tactics about attack, attack, attack and more...no matter what....winning is the only thing.

I suggest the country should be in there somewhere for all these people
  #21  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
March 17, 2005.....Nancy Pelosi speaking of GW Bush

"Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. He must be stopped.
―Nancy Pelosi


Read more at Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. He must be stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
December 13, 2004...Harry Reid

"I know procedures around here. And I know that there will still be Senate business conducted. But I will, for lack of a better word, screw things up.
―Harry Reid


Read more at I know procedures around here. And I know that there will still be Senate business conducted. But I will, for lack of a ...
Taking quotes out of context can paint any politician with a diabolical brush. Nice try, but quotes from individual politicians do not equate to a strategy carried out by a majority of a political party. I don't blame you for being ashamed and attempting to divert the conversation however.
  #22  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Taking quotes out of context can paint any politician with a diabolical brush. Nice try, but quotes from individual politicians do not equate to a strategy carried out by a majority of a political party. I don't blame you for being ashamed and attempting to divert the conversation however.
Boy....talk about a clueless party person.

I am not even close to ashamed as, obviously, I do not have the same strong party ties as you. I prefer to root for the country and if that means taking a Democratic idea, so be it...if it means a Republican idea, so be it.

I am not diverting at all...I responded openly and honestly, admitted what I like and did not like...I acknowledged a book written about the situation...I acknowledged that if proven it would be dissapointed.

I can only dream of someone like you EVER saying their party was in error....I will, have and will continue to put country first before my party.

My quotes were a tongue in cheek in response to the other posts. WOW, and that is what you saw and what you responded to...WOW again.

Your party is #1...fine.....the other party is bad guy....fine...those are your thoughts, narrow minded and distorted as they may be. YOU are the kind that they refer to as the one or kind that will never change you mind on any issue...I said ISSUE because all this partisan stuff is just silliness and that was another reason for my quotes.

Worship at that altar....I prefer, not matter the party, that the country move ahead. ON this new forum I have credited our President with much especially involving the financial situation and will be glad to...I do not, nor ever will, take kindly to strict partisan politics. It is sad and if you want embarassment for your party, allow me to look something up for you and your heros...

"After rejecting a Republican proposal which would reform the filibuster, a negotiation process which has been ongoing since 2005, Reid will reportedly seek a simple majority vote to reform the rules of the Senate on Thursday. In all likelihood, he will be able to secure the 51 votes necessary to enact this new reform.

Republicans are wary of the move. Many see it as an abuse of majority powers and the setting of a precedent that Democrats will regret the next time that the Senate changes control. This is a position that Reid agreed with in 2005 when his Democrats were blocking President George W. Bushs judicial nominees.


Lauded by his party....

In 2005 when the roles were reversed....

"The threat to change Senate rules is a raw abuse of power and will destroy the very checks and balances our founding fathers put in place to prevent absolute power by any one branch of government, Reid said at the time.

Harry Reid Railed Against Nuclear Option in 2005 He Embraces in 2013 | Mediaite

I just wish that adults would populate this and talk about the threads that have actual issues attached to them. They are not intended to change minds...simply broaden all our scopes and understand them,

People like this poster simply want to attack the party that is not there's and go on the National Inquirer tour....
  #23  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Maybe once those who want to rail against one party or the other can put that anger or loyalty in the conext of the impact of the work permits as the opening thread talked about.
 

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.