Door to Door

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
n/a

Default Door to Door

If a political candidate knocks on my door you can be sure that person will NOT get my vote. Come on Will Pruitt--Knock on my door. I am usually very easy going BUT be careful when I get mad!!! I am ready for Will to come visit me.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
n/a

Default Re: Door to Door

At the risk of this getting moved to the polilitical forum, I take it you have some issues with this candidate.

I have some experience with him as well. The 30,000 plus voters in The Villages will hear what I thinik about this candidate when the time comes.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
n/a

I guess i need to live there to understand this post? Who the heck is Will Pruitt and why is this post not in Political?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
n/a

Jan, I think the issues come from an editorial in the Sun which stated that he wants to change the rule or law or whatever here to allow solicitors, at least political solicitors. Don't know about anyone else, but I take editorial columns with a HUGE grain of salt -- they are just one person's opinions and not always based on fact.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
I guess i need to live there to understand this post? Who the heck is Will Pruitt and why is this post not in Political?
The only reason this is surviving in this forum is that it is an issue about door to door soliciting in the villages. I was the one who changed it to political by focusing on the candidate himself. It's gonna get moved before long.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
n/a

To genericize this a bit,

The Deed Restrictions prohibit door to door soliciting....this doesn't necessarily stop the various service vendors from blanketing the newly constructed neighborhoods. But, once that flurry died down, no more solicitors.

Until, about 2 months ago, a group of Jehovah's witnesses came around knocking on doors. I told them, politely, that I was not interested and that I thought they were not supposed to be going door to door. I then callled the Villages Watch office. They said "not our job", and said to call the deed compliance office. A little disappointed that Villages Watch did not feel they had any jurisdiction...they coulda sent one of their roaming pickup trucks to gently tell this crew to cease and desist. I doubt Deed Compliance could have responded as quickly. Oh well. That, so far, is the only violation I've noted.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
n/a

"Deed Restriction" is not the issue here. Outside political candidates and vendors are not bound by Villages "deed restrictions." Those only apply to residents. Think about it, who and how would it be enforced. Will a deputy tell a candidate to stop knocking on doors? If he refuses, will be be thrown in jail. Imagine the horror of that. If you stick a political sign in the yard for....say.....Hillary.....who is going to remove it. Will you be fined for voicing your support for your candidate?

In the case of politicians, the courts have ruled that the political process is the purest form of freedom of speech and that anything that interferes with that is unconstitutional. If it is taken to court, I am sure that the ruling will be that the constitution has more authority than a CDD "deed restriction."

Now, in so far as a specific candidate goes, I have been around politics for many years, and I will have some personal observations about the candidate in question. Those comments will be in the political forum, and I will make sure that ever voter in the villages reads them.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Sorry I did not explain. Local page of the Daily Sun has an articile saying Candidates can go door to door. This is because this Will Pruitt wants to do it. All the other candidates who were interviewed said they will honor the no soliciting rule.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
n/a

To Russ in Boston- Interesting when you ask why it is not in "Political". Who is the guy that stirred the pot by writing to the editor?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsixpack
To Russ in Boston- Interesting when you ask why it is not in "Political". Who is the guy that stirred the pot by writing to the editor?
Are you suggesting that the candidate has some control over this board. It is the administrators that make those decisions. Am I misreading what you meant here?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
n/a

To me, political candidates going door to door and soliciting by people selling something are two totally different things. While I appreciate the Villages preventing door to door sales, I am sorry political candidates are prevented from stopping by. I for one welcome any time a candidate is willing to have a one on one talk about what they stand for. I would like to look them in the eye and get a feel for who the "person" is.

That being said, I know nothing yet about the current politicians in the TV area and look forward to knowing who stands for what. My first vote in TV will be in the Fall.

Political speech is protected by the Constitution for very good reasons. I don't want it obstructed.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
n/a

Before radio and television, the only way a candidate could communicate his positions was by newspapers, pamphlets, and face to face contact. If a candidate knocks on your door, you don't have to talk to him. But you can't deny him his right to knock on your door.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
n/a

I am a Newbie so I don't know the proper procedure. I don't understand where CONTROL comes in. The query was that I heard Richard Cole was president of The Villages Republican Club of Sumter County whose purpose is to serve all registered Republicans living in The Villages. If that was the same Richard Cole, I believe he should consider it is in the best interest of Republican residents to hear from all Republican candidates equally. If there has been some "secret pact " or agreement among all the Republicans cited in Mr. Cole's letter, it appears that the candidate he complained of was not made aware of or privy to such agreement. I also believe the 1st Amendment prohibits such silencing of political opposition which all Americans believe so strongly in.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
n/a

Once again, we have a "troll" here. That is someone who is registered under several names. Please don't do that, it is against the rules and can cause one to be barred from the forum. Regardless of your rank, please don't troll.

JLK, administrator
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
n/a

Heck that is why i wanted it moved to the politics board. You'll notice that i don't post in there. I feel that i can't wisely comment on issues that relate to TV life. Not yet at least ;D

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.