Lieutenant Colonel Allen West

Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
n/a

Default Lieutenant Colonel Allen West

Hey Villager's! What do you all think of Allen West, US Representative from Florida's 22nd District?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
n/a

Default Make up your own mind.

West, who was not responsible for conducting interrogations in Iraq and had never conducted or witnessed one, had his men detain Hamoodi. In the process of detaining Mr. Hamoodi, soldiers testified that Mr. Hamoodi appeared to go for his weapon and needed to be subdued. Hamoodi was beaten by four of West's soldiers from the 220th Field Artillery Battalion on the head and body. West then fired his pistol near Hamoodi's hooded head. Hamoodi then provided West with names and information, what Hamoodi later described as "meaningless information induced by fear and pain." At least one suspect was arrested as a result, but no plans for attacks or weapons were found. West said "At the time I had to base my decision on the intelligence I received. It's possible that I was wrong about Mr. Hamoodi."

West was charged with violating articles 128 (assault) and 134 (general article) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. During a hearing held as part of an Article 32 investigation in November 2003, West stated, "I know the method I used was not right, but I wanted to take care of my soldiers." The charges were ultimately referred to an Article 15 proceeding rather than court-martial, at which West was fined $5,000. He knew his military career was over at this point and retired.

Some people will think West is a military hero for wanting to take care of his men. Others will think different of West as a defeated bully who slunk out of the Army with his tail between his legs. Make up your own mind.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 PM
n/a

Albeit your despicable depiction of Col. West in relation to his responsibility to the lives of his men, I think most people will give him the benefit of the doubt, irregardless the military's new politically correct public face and it's willingness to throw it's own people under the bus when elitists decry tactics taken in hostile environments.

Don't worry though, the military will continue to fight to protect liberals wussy butts.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
n/a

I think of him as neither. He was and is an effective leader. He made a mistake in the heat of combat. Can any of us say we might not do the same? I visited his web site and liked what I read about him and his positions on the issues. The voters in his district seem to like him since they elected him - but we must keep in mind that the voters in Brooklyn still support Anthony Weiner.

Thus far Alan West has not distinguished himself (something very hard for a freshman to do) nor embarrassed himself and those around him. I say it's time to withhold judgement and let the people of his district be the judges.

On a side note, the shape of his district is convoluted, to put it mildly. I do not know what can be done to eliminate Gerrymandering but hope it can be done in at least our children's lifetime. The only states where it is not done are those with only one representative.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
n/a

I asked the question because I have heard him speak. I would love to see him as our President someday, but I do not live near him to know how well his talk and walk line up. As for the situation with Hamoodi, I'm not sure I understand what he did wrong? Did he actually shoot the guy? Aren't soldiers supposed to kill the enemy during war? I'm confused alot of the time when it comes to trying our soldiers of crimes when they are just doing their jobs. I mean, it is WAR...What am I missing?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
n/a

Default Not my words

My posting came right from WikiPedia. Don't shoot the messenger. I did add in the last 3 sentences which gives a choice of hero or bully and I said to make up your own mind. Completely objective.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
My posting came right from WikiPedia. Don't shoot the messenger. I did add in the last 3 sentences which gives a choice of hero or bully and I said to make up your own mind. Completely objective.
That's certainly a reliable source of information!:
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
Your posting of this says it all Bugs. There is plenty written about the man that would make you proud to know about him, but you gleaned the only seemingly negative tidbit about him to post. Your purpose was clear Bugs. Cut out the "who me?" nonsense.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
n/a

West supported Tarp and then was "surprised" they picked winners and losers...
West supports the "fair tax". Another government program where EVERYONE gets a "pretax" check from the government every year.. no way will I vote for him.
JJ
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
n/a

Quote:
Failing to acknowledge the remarks in your post to Wiki, left the impression that these were your own words and thoughts regarding Col West. Therefore, you need not be surprised if someone disagrees with your post especially your last sentence which was in "your own words."

At this point in time I am not as familiar with Col West as I am with some other politicians, however from the few times I have heard him speak I am very impressed with him as is (obviously) Florida's 22 district. I think he is someone who will be a viable candidate for POTUS in the not too distant future.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM
n/a

I have no ax to grind with Alan West. It is wrong to address him as Colonel or Lt. Colonel, though. After military retirement, the only rank that gets to use rank (ret) is General (or Admiral for the Navy). Makes no difference to me, though.

He is a flash in the Teaparty pan who got voted in because of anti-Muslim talk of the Teaparty bigots. He will be out of office fairly soon - and with that lifetime pension all of the conservatives gripe about politicians having.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
n/a

Quote:
I have no ax to grind with Alan West. It is wrong to address him as Colonel or Lt. Colonel, though. After military retirement, the only rank that gets to use rank (ret) is General (or Admiral for the Navy). Makes no difference to me, though.

He is a flash in the Teaparty pan who got voted in because of anti-Muslim talk of the Teaparty bigots. He will be out of office fairly soon - and with that lifetime pension all of the conservatives gripe about politicians having.
This post shows me your lack of seeing the reality of the mood of the American voter, particularly the Floridian voter. You do know that Col. Alan West was elected in Florida?

I believe you are living in a past fantasy Bugs. Everything is crashing around you in this country and you think the people are saying "maybe we just need 4 more years?"
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
n/a

Richie, look at any of the Presidential approval polls and you will see that President Obama is around 48%. At the time GW Bush left office, he was in the low 20's.

Have you taken a look at the Gerrymandered 22nd District in Florida? Ridiculous, to say the least.

I cannot comment on Florida voters putting Alan West, Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, Pam Bondi, or other wing-nuts into office except to say it is a good possibility that Floridians have not learned how to vote YET. Remember the hanging chads! Thank goodness, the majority of the country knows how to vote.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:57 PM
n/a

Quote:
Richie, look at any of the Presidential approval polls and you will see that President Obama is around 48%. At the time GW Bush left office, he was in the low 20's.

Have you taken a look at the Gerrymandered 22nd District in Florida? Ridiculous, to say the least.

I cannot comment on Florida voters putting Alan West, Rick Scott, Marco Rubio, Pam Bondi, or other wing-nuts into office except to say it is a good possibility that Floridians have not learned how to vote YET. Remember the hanging chads! Thank goodness, the majority of the country knows how to vote.
I read those same approval polls as you do Bugs, but what I don't quite get is how his approval could be one number and his specific disapproval's be so different. When you look at people's opinion on how he's doing in specific areas, like the economy and jobs and in handling the debt, he's in the basement. It doesn't add up. I'd like to see the polls questions.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.