How some African- Americans view Obama's gay marriage stand.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM
n/a

Default How some African- Americans view Obama's gay marriage stand.

Obama Gay Marriage Announcement: Many Black Americans Shrug Off New View

Now this is interesting. They kind of see Obama as just playing politics with gay marriage.

Black churches conflicted on Obama's gay marriage decision

Why are blacks lagging on openness to gay marriage? - latimes.com
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
n/a

You don't need to be white to be intolerant, but you do need religion to be so.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villager II View Post
You don't need to be white to be intolerant, but you do need religion to be so.
Suppose many would be surprized to learn that Voltaire-- the Father of the Enlightenment-- who also had a profound influence on the writers of the US Constitution did not think all that much of Christianity.

“Of all religions, Christianity is without a doubt the one that should inspire tolerance most, although, up to now, the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men” Voltaire

Online Library of Liberty - Voltaire
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Suppose many would be surprized to learn that Voltaire-- the Father of the Enlightenment-- who also had a profound influence on the writers of the US Constitution did not think all that much of Christianity.

“Of all religions, Christianity is without a doubt the one that should inspire tolerance most, although, up to now, the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men” Voltaire

Online Library of Liberty - Voltaire
Now, I guess, we will hear form the athests.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMANN View Post
Now, I guess, we will hear form the athests.
Voltaire was a deist as were a good % of the Founding Fathers of the US.

“For seventeen hundred years the Christian sect has done nothing but harm”. Voltaire

The Enlightenment thinkers had a very wrong-minded notion of what they called the Dark Ages. It was one that was very suspicious of any kind of power in the hands of an established Church.

That's not my view of religion but it was the view of many of the Framers of the US Constitution.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
n/a

Quote:

“For seventeen hundred years the Christian sect has done nothing but harm”. Voltaire

The Enlightenment thinkers had a very wrong-minded notion of what they called the Dark Ages. It was one that was very suspicious of any kind of power in the hands of an established Church.

That's not my view of religion but it was the view of many of the Framers of the US Constitution.
Okay, I get your point. We will now hear from the "Enlightened Thinkers."
Old 05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
n/a

Quote:

I can agree with that. Christianity and the church are very important and do great things for this country, BUT when it comes down to the most vicious among us, they also comes from the so called devout Christians. Its like ying yang, God is great, but those that interpret his word are in many cases evil nut jobs.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
n/a

It's doubtful that these African-Americans are not going to vote for President Obama because of this single issue. Mitt Romney doesn't seem to want to be president of all the people. He said he doesn't care about poor people and he likes to fire people. His whole political philosophy is more tax cuts for the millionaires and billionaires, less regulation, and cut programs for the poor, the disadvantaged and the elderly.

Watching his commencement address on Sat to a huge audience at Liberty University, I did not see one person of color in attendance.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM
n/a

Default Interesting investigation into religion in the thought and lives of Founding Fathers

Religion in America: The faith (and doubts) of our fathers | The Economist
Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
n/a

one can go to many events in TV and not see one person of color and so what would that be interpreted as.............???

And if one attends a "black" caucus you probably won't see one caucsasian soooo.....?!?!

Ridiculous isn't it?

btk
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 AM
n/a

Wonderful read. Thank you Tal, I had never seen this before. I helps me understand the single file thinking of the more aggressive posters and I will put effort into being more tolerant of their shallow way of thinking. It would appear that the very document we all worship so much was sending us a message but due to intolerance caused by our religious beliefs it clouded our thought process and caused us to totally miss the true intent of the Constitution.

Just maybe the founders felt that equal rights should include women, minorities and even atheists.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.