I can't wait to leave The Villages

Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
What is "the real world"? The real world that I left was one of suburban America where neighbors did not really know each other, where being in a friendly neighborhood meant that they would wave to each other as they drove by. If somebody up the street had a death in the family or a serious illness, you probably never knew about it, and if you did, you would just say some platitude like, "Oh, that's too bad".

Contrast that with my TV neighborhood where I know and regularly socialize with many more neighbors than I even knew the names of in my old "real world". In my new real world, neighbors not only know of life's tragedies that hit the neighborhood, but go out of their way to express condolances and chip in for memorials/flowers. On the other side of the sad events are the happy events of kids getting married or grandkids being born. The neighbors are there to help celebrate those times as well.

So, which "real world" one lives in is his/her choice: the insular real world of most of the rest of America or the real world of neighbors caring for their fellow neighbors. I'll take the latter. I'd say that those who choose the former may be doing so to really escape the real world - the real world of sharing life's joys and sadness within your community.

Yes, TV feels like a bubble to me. I get that. But what is it about TV that so offends some people in the so-called "real world".

I seriously would like to understand. I don't believe that Nonie's former friend is alone in believing "that TV was nothing but a fantasy land full of 'brain dead space cadets'". But why?

There are plenty of gated communities all across America, often with more expensive housing, private security and less access to "the outside world".

Florida alone is awash in gated, retirement communities where no children live-- communities full of wealthier (on average) people whose lifestyles also could be described as living on a permanent resort vacation.

But these communities do not draw as much hostile attention and resentment as TV does. So, I do think it goes beyond jealously.

But from what spring does the resentment "bubble"?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Maybe the guy is a "grouch" and will be unhappy anywhere he goes. On the other hand, maybe TV truly is not his cup of tea, and he is otherwise a happy well-adjusted person. TV is paradise for many, including me, but it is not for everyone, and to presume this guy is a grump or a bad person for stating his opinion is rather narrow-minded. Hopefully he sells to someone looking for what TV has to offer and he finds happiness elsewhere; a win-win.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
n/a

I believe that each of us was born with a different social orientation. There are extroverts and introverts, shy and outgoing, verbal or quiet.

I think that The Villages draw people who very much enjoy interacting with other people.

I suspect that people who like to muse about things far away from the madding crowd aren't going to like it here so much.

It takes all kinds to make a world.

I just wish that if this place isn't what they would choose, that they wouldn't be so critical of us who love it.

I think some people just don't like others to be having a good time.

And that is sad.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 PM
n/a

Wink

Wow, interesting conversation.

Well, I have several more years before retirement and we chose The Villages because it is the perfect lifestyle, retired or not. I have a great job, love our house and everyone we have met has been so helpful and kind. Is it a bubble, I suppose it depends on how one defines the word, but if it is, I sure hope it doesn't burst anytime soon. We all contribute to this wonderful community and let it continue.

To each his own and hopefully the gentleman will sell his home soon and find his paradise, whatever and wherever that may be. It's great we have choices.....
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
The guy has a point -- TV is nothing like most of the world. That's why we chose it. We've not turned our back on the outside world. If we had, there would be no volunteers here, no willingness to help others, no political discussions. Most of us have paid our dues plus some.

Like almost everyone else in the U.S., we have the right to choose where we want to live. Our choice is a community that gives back to others; has activities for everyone; a place where people smile because their world is right. That's not a bad thing, just not for everyone.

Here's hoping that man sells his home quickly and finds a place more to his liking. For me, I'll take living in this wonderful little bubble. It suits my needs perectly.
Well said Dee!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 AM
n/a

Hey

I'm a Democrate and I love the concept of TV. I won't keep my mouth shut because I believe it's so okay to have an opinion and still be friends, hopefully. The life in TV will be some truly quality problems. I can hardly wait to there.

Life is so grand. It's all about perception and how I perceive this world.

J
Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 AM
n/a

Don't want to get into politics but...

Why is it "I'm a Democrat or I'm a Republican" - Why isn't it just "This is my opinion on this matter"?

I don't understand why being either (or other) is any more of a concern than anywhere else. Do people really sit around and discuss their political concerns that much? I'd rather talk about you or your issues or your golf game or your grandchildren or what fun TV thing we are going to do next.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 AM
n/a

Pturner, I wonder if TV isn't somewhat unique in terms of the level of positive discourse that comes from TV Frogs, Snowbirds, and wannabees. We have looked at a few other communities over the years, and they all tout their own horns pretty well, but it's the developers doing all the touting, not the residents! TV seems unique in this regard. Just look at this forum! I've never seen anything like it for other communities, although that may exist and I just haven't seen it. So, it would not surprise me that when thousands of people are going around saying things like "This is the best place I've ever seen" and "I can't wait to move there", others who have not experienced a visit, and perhaps who see these statements as a denigration of their current towns, would react more negatively than usual. I know of a number of people in our current community who have heard of TV, but have really only experienced any information about TV from those of us who are sold on the idea already or from "Leisureville" (from which they can all only quote that one infamous statistic). I get the feeling that they are of a mind that it sounds too good to be true, therefore it can't be true, and without the direct expereince, they refuse to believe it, and therefore are as adamant in their negative comments as we are in our positive ones. JMHO.

B.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Card View Post
......."This place has nothing to do with the reality of the real world and I want the H++l out of here."......
Sounds like you may have run into Andrew Blechman.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 AM
n/a

I think this might be a case of this person being a contrarian. You know, get in a group of people, and no matter what the subject, take the opposite view to stir a reaction and bring attention to themselves. We all know that TV isn't perfect, but for the vast majority of us, myself included, it's perfect for us. Just take a look at TOTV. 99.9999999999999% of the posts and posters and positive and are helpful and informative.But every once in a while you'll get someone who tries to tell us how naive and foolish we are for living the lifestyle and believing in the place, even though they have spent little or no time in TV. If there's a problem, I think it should be discussed and not swept under the rug, but not to just stir up a hornets nest and try to make people uneasy. I think we owe it to our selves to listen other opinions, but take them for what their worth.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
n/a

The guy who can hardly wait to get out has lived here for nine years! What was he doing...serving a sentence?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM
n/a

Default We don't really like Florida

(it's hot and sticky in the summer and I am afraid of hurricanes)...but we LOVE TV! We could have moved to alot of places in the south but we chose TV.

On our first visit we crossing the street at LSL and someone in a golf cart was obviously waiting for us so we scooted across (maybe trotted) to get out of his way more quickly when he leaned out of his cart and called to us "There's no running in The Villages!" We have never met so many friendly people. That was NOT an isolated occurance. On every trip down we have met more and more people who go out of there way to be friendly, helpful and kind.

We are constantly asked by our friends up here why we are moving to Florida ("Don't you know how HOT it is there?") and we always respond "We aren't moving to Florida - we're moving to The Villages!" Our house will be done in October and we can't WAIT to be there! It may not be for everyone but it IS for us! But, then, I probably don't need to preach to the choir.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
n/a

I don't like to judge other people. He may have things going on in his life that make the Villages uncomfortable for him. Maybe his wife is sick or has passed away, or he lives in an unfriendly neighborhood. You never know what is going on in other people's lives. My feeling about The Villages, is that it is large enough and has such a huge variety of people, that it has been easy for us to find people we like, that share our values. There are some people here that are not my cup of tea, but I choose not to spend time with them. Yes, there is a "bubble" type mentality here for some people, but you find those people everywhere, not just The Villages. We try to go "off campus" every few weeks or so, just to see and be among people who are not old retirees, which we find refreshing. We like restaurants and cultural activites in Orlando and Tampa. If I spent every minute here I would probably find it a little claustrophobic, so we choose to break up our time a little and get out into the rest of the world. I realize some people spend about every minute in TV and love it; just a difference in people and their needs.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM
n/a

I can't wait to get there, but I've got 2 years left. We're putting our house on the market in Jan, 2011, if it sells before we retire we'll rent a place. I just want to get down there in our little house on the Historical side. Maybe get a part time job with the security guys driving around in the little white trucks, we can't wait, deed restrictions and all, fence or no fence I can't wait!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Don't want to get into politics but...

Why is it "I'm a Democrat or I'm a Republican" - Why isn't it just "This is my opinion on this matter"?
I don't understand why being either (or other) is any more of a concern than anywhere else. Do people really sit around and discuss their political concerns that much? I'd rather talk about you or your issues or your golf game or your grandchildren or what fun TV thing we are going to do next.
Russ, I totally support your statement on opinions! Unfortunately, some folks here DO seem to sit around and discuss their political concerns very much. My mother always told me that, at social gatherings, polite people never discuss sex, religion, or politics. Period.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.