Liberals/Progressives Only

Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
n/a

Default Liberals/Progressives Only

We're fairly new in The Villages,and we were checking into the Liberals club that supposedly meets twice montly at Paradise Center. The club is not going to be meeting anymore, and I was curious to know if liberal folks on this forum might be interested in meeting once or twice a month, say, to discuss issues of the day. If there was enough interest, we might be able to formally re-start the Liberals club, and perhaps have it meet in a more central location. At this point, just to see if there is interest, I would propose meeting at Starbucks in Sumter Landing, at a time convenient to all, and see how it goes. The format of the club as it now stands, is to have a topic for discussion, and just shoot the breeze for an hour or so. If you think this might be of interest to you, please post accordingly, and depending on response, I can PM or email everyone with a date and time. In your post, if there is a date/time that you'd like please let me know....thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
n/a

Default Re: Liberals/Progressives Only

Yes, I would be interested and since Starbucks at Sumter Landing is my favorite place, it's especially inviting. Count me in if it pulls together.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
n/a

I'm sorry to hear it disbanded. It was one of those clubs I kept wanting to check out but never quite got around to doing so.

Do count me in as one who is interested when you get it started. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
n/a

Why is it necessary to have a label? Like republican? Democrat? Liberal? Conservative?

I would think it limits an individual to one belief and we all know that no one labeled group is correct about everything.

I guess I am older than most and still cling to my ability to have an intelligent conversation on just about any subject without needing to know if you are a liberal, a conservative, catholic, Lutheran, atheist, black, white or yellow (and any in between).

Part of the problem in the USA today is there are so many splinter, special interest groups we have or are significantly down the path that sets the cliche..... ONE NATION ......
.It is one nation and yes...under GOD as established by our founding fathers.

It used to be a country operating under the democratic concept of.....THE MAJORITY RULES!!!! At least until the 21st Century where every special interest group has no problem out weighing the SILENT majority.

The label I like the best is.... A PROUD AMERICAN....

BTK :bigthumbsup:
Old 03-04-2008, 04:21 AM
n/a

The nice thing about being a liberal is that it does not limit you to one party. Most of us are independent and base our political decisions on the facts, not the rhetoric. We are more apt to be pro-abortion, anti-death penalty, pro-environment, anti-war but we're also likely to be pro-military, fiscally conservative. Some of us think global warming is a joke. Some of us want a conservative judicial system and minimum sentences for criminals. Some of us think the three strikes law is a good thing; some of us want it banned outright; many of us think the premise is good but want it changed. Liberal doesn't make us unAmerican. To me, it makes us more American because we love this country enough to see its faults and love it nonetheless.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 AM
n/a

And BTK, special interest groups win because they care enough to stand up and be counted and they're willing to be heard. Don't blame them because the majority has abdicated its right to rule.

The silent majority does vote when it is important to them. They are frequently the deciding factor in who our President is, although they rarely speak up soon enough to help pick a good candidate. That's their choice. It would be nice if more of them voted but enough do to make the ultimate choices.

If it's not important enough, they choose to let it go until it becomes important to them. That's their right. I don't agree with it, but I'll respect it nonetheless. Until they decide it is important to stand up and say enough is enough, America is stuck with poor choices. Who knows, maybe one day our children or grandchildren or perhaps our great-granchilden for some of us will change the tide and not be the silent majority. More young people today are interested in politics than they have been in other generations of the 21st century. We might get lucky yet.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
n/a

I would be interested.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 AM
n/a

Thanks to all for your interest! I'll PM you soon to see about a get together, maybe next week if our schedules agree.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
n/a

How true. I hope people have sense enough to turn around from the road the Republicans have put us on with the failing economy and the Iraq war, and realize we need to get on the correct path.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
n/a

Lil Dancer:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.