The lowest political ad in this campaign just aired

Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 PM
n/a

Default The lowest political ad in this campaign just aired

I just saw the latest Obama ad. It says that John McCain has not kept up to date and by his own admission, can't even use a computer or e-mail.

What it doesn't say is that as a result of injuries he sustained as a POW, John McCain can't comb his hair, tie his shoes or use a keyboard.

This from the candidate who said yesterday he was going to concentrate on the big issues.

I haven't said much about the ads in this campaign because I understand both sides sling garbage. This one is beyond the pale of decency and not becoming of a statesman. It is certainly not presidential.

Boston Globe, 2000

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "extraordinary." The reason he doesn't send email is that he can't use a keyboard because of the relentless beatings he received from the Viet Cong in service to our country. From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
n/a

Default Re: The lowest political ad in this campaign just aired

Yeah I saw this one. It was demeaning at best, painting him as some sort of idiot !!!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 AM
n/a

Bucco, it's well beyond demeaning. Try ruthless, cruel, vicious, unpresidential, grotesquely perverted, sick, and worse. Right out of Saul Alinsky's playbook, Rules for Radicals.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 AM
n/a

Did you hear about how Barack Obama wants to have sex education in kindergarten, and called Sarah Palin a pig? Did you hear about how Ms. Palin told Congress, “Thanks, but no thanks” when it wanted to buy Alaska a Bridge to Nowhere? These stories have two things in common: they’re all claims recently made by the McCain campaign — and they’re all out-and-out lies. Dishonesty is nothing new in politics. But I can’t think of any precedent, at least in America, for the blizzard of lies since the Republican convention. The Bush campaign’s lies in 2000 were artful — you needed some grasp of arithmetic to realize that you were being conned. This year, however, the McCain campaign keeps making assertions that anyone with an Internet connection can disprove in a minute, and repeating these assertions over and over again.
Take the case of the Bridge to Nowhere, which supposedly gives Ms. Palin credentials as a reformer. Well, when campaigning for governor, Ms. Palin didn’t say “no thanks” — she was all for the bridge, even though it had already become a national scandal, insisting that she would “not allow the spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that’s so negative.” Oh, and when she finally did decide to cancel the project, she didn’t righteously reject a handout from Washington: she accepted the handout, but spent it on something else. You see, long before she decided to cancel the bridge, Congress had told Alaska that it could keep the federal money originally earmarked for that project and use it elsewhere. So the whole story of Ms. Palin’s alleged heroic stand against wasteful spending is fiction. Or take the story of Mr. Obama’s alleged advocacy of kindergarten sex-ed. In reality, he supported legislation calling for “age and developmentally appropriate education”; in the case of young children, that would have meant guidance to help them avoid sexual predators. And then there’s the claim that Mr. Obama’s use of the ordinary metaphor “putting lipstick on a pig” was a sexist smear, and on and on. Why do the McCain people think they can get away with this stuff?
They’re probably counting on the prevalence of horse-race reporting, so that instead of the story being “McCain campaign lies,” it becomes “Obama on defensive in face of attacks.” Still, how upset should we be about the McCain campaign’s lies? I mean, politics ain’t beanbag, and all that.

One answer is that the muck being hurled by the McCain campaign is preventing a debate on real issues — on whether the country really wants, for example, to continue the economic policies of the last eight years.

But there’s another answer, which may be even more important: how a politician campaigns tells you a lot about how he or she would govern.

The Bush political team’s ruthless effectiveness and the heckuva job done by the Bush administration is living, breathing, bumbling, and, in the case of the emerging Interior Department scandal, coke-snorting and bed-hopping proof to the contrary.

I’m talking, instead, about the relationship between the character of a campaign and that of the administration that follows. Thus, the deceptive and dishonest 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign provided an all-too-revealing preview of things to come. In fact, my early suspicion that we were being misled about the threat from Iraq came from the way the political tactics being used to sell the war resembled the tactics that had earlier been used to sell the Bush tax cuts.

And now the team that hopes to form the next administration is running a campaign that makes Bush-Cheney 2000 look like something out of a civics class. What does that say about how that team would run the country?

What it says, I’d argue, is that the Obama campaign is wrong to suggest that a McCain-Palin administration would just be a continuation of Bush-Cheney. If the way John McCain and Sarah Palin are campaigning is any indication, it would be much, much worse.

By PAUL KRUGMAN

NY Times

Old 09-13-2008, 12:39 AM
n/a

Jim, I read your (Krugman's) post. What is YOUR point? Joe Krugman is a flaming liberal (he authored a piece called "Conscious of a Liberal") working for the most biased, unabashedly liberal rag in the country. He spews democratic talking points as if they had a modicum of journalistic integrity. He is not a journalist, he writes op-ed solely from the liberal democratic view. You could have done better to make your point.

What does junglejim think? I'd rather hear you than a paid surrogate for Obama.

p.s The only reason I'm spending so much time on the computer today is that it's cold and rainy at the Jersey shore. I'm tired of political television and a contractor kept me in all day. I'd rather be home in the Villages. Have a nice evening.

p.p.s. I just read a couple of your previous posts. A suggestion. Several of them appeared to be your words but when some of them sounded familiar, I checked them. They were authored by others but there was no attribution. You really should give attribution when you use someone else's words. Most would rather intereact with a real person, not a cut and paste off the computer. Please take this in the friendly,constructive context I intend. Perhaps it was an oversight in which case I apologize and stand corrected.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:41 AM
n/a

One would think after the whispering campaign used by Bush in 2000 against McCain...his campaign would reflect his earlier statements when he acknowledged the American people want a clean campaign.

However, every fact check organization has labeled the latest ad by McCain as totally false and taken from an earlier campaign for Senate against Obama.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...on_sex_ed.html

If you think that the Obama ad is the lowest thing you have seen then you haven't been in Colorado.

Perhaps John McCain has read the same book you accuse Obama have reading.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:49 AM
n/a

cologal

I live in CO, and I have no idea what you mean. Could you elaborate?

Let me guess , you think Obama ads are all truth and fact.

OOOilovenbc... Benj
Old 09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35
I just saw the latest Obama ad. It says that John McCain has not kept up to date and by his own admission, can't even use a computer or e-mail.

What it doesn't say is that as a result of injuries he sustained as a POW, John McCain can't comb his hair, tie his shoes or use a keyboard.

This from the candidate who said yesterday he was going to concentrate on the big issues.

I haven't said much about the ads in this campaign because I understand both sides sling garbage. This one is beyond the pale of decency and not becoming of a statesman. It is certainly not presidential.

Boston Globe, 2000

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "extraordinary." The reason he doesn't send email is that he can't use a keyboard because of the relentless beatings he received from the Viet Cong in service to our country. From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball
I admire the service of John McCain....however why is it that each time something negative hits John McCain the answer is "because he was in a North Vietnam prison."

If he is going to throw mud then some is going to land on him...
Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 AM
n/a

Politics has never been pretty. But it certainly has become an ugly pus oozing sore since Karl Rove hit the scene. He started with Bush and has carried on even today with John McCain. Even the Associated Press, usual very conservative, came out calling two of McCain's ads out and out lies. Are you Repubs living in a vacuum. Don't you know what's being said about the McCain ads? It's not just the left liberals saying it. Newsweek already commented that everything in the new Obama ad is true! It's that simple.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj
cologal

I live in CO, and I have no idea what you mean. Could you elaborate?

Let me guess , you think Obama ads are all truth and fact.

OOOilovenbc... Benj
Everytime an ad comes out I go to the various fact check websites to see what they say. Then at times I will email the 527 or the campaign for clarification. I was speaking about the broader campaign in this email.

The one in Colorado which states the US has more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia
The new Department of Peace ad with smoke coming out of the van.

This last McCain is totally untrue...I don't like negative ads at all on either side they turn me off. But what makes this ad lower than the McCain Paris Hilton ad? But I did like her UTube response.

I have repeatedly said I don't support Obama...you should have heard me when they called the house the other day...

But you know I might have to balance out your vote if its close. ;D
Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 AM
n/a

Conservatives take heart!!!!

The more the libs try to slander and disrespect Sarah Palin the more harm they are doing their cause.
White stay at home moms have moved to McCain/Palin some 20% since all the attacks on Palin.

McCain now leads in many polls over Obama since Palin was picked.

The libs are self destructing, the more unreasonable and unfair they get the more the American people are turning on them. Most people are fair and they realize that Palin is the most like us regular people, and they appreciate that. The dems are showing their true colors. Benj
Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM
n/a

cologal

Thats twice you have said what someone said here might make you vote for Obama, OH PLEASE like you were ever going to vote McCain/ Palin!!!

And as I said before I will be pleased to be sure to cancel out your guaranteed Obama vote. Guess at least your vote is not going to help Obama. I vote in every election even dog catcher.

have you seen OOOilovepaulkrugman???... Benj
Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj
Conservatives take heart!!!!

The more the libs try to slander and disrespect Sarah Palin the more harm they are doing their cause.
White stay at home moms have moved to McCain/Palin some 20% since all the attacks on Palin.

McCain now leads in many polls over Obama since Palin was picked.

The libs are self destructing, the more unreasonable and unfair they get the more the American people are turning on them. Most people are fair and they realize that Palin is the most like us regular people, and they appreciate that. The dems are showing their true colors. Benj
The more the libs try to slander and disrespect Sarah Palin the more harm they are doing their cause...

Exactly how are the libs trying to slander and disrespect Sarah Palin? Did you watch her speak and how she disrespected Obama service? Did you miss that line cause I didn't
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 AM
n/a

chels

Only someone as far left as you could say with a straight face that the Associated Press and Newsweek are some sort of fair and balanced source.

OOOacornregisterme... Benj
Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 AM
n/a

cologal

That you don't get it kinda makes my point.

OOOpo... Benj

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.