The New Yorker

View Poll Results: How would you describe the recent cover of the New Yorker, depicting Senator and Mrs. Obama?
Patriotic 2 7.69%
Humorous 6 23.08%
Bigoted 9 34.62%
Indifferent 1 3.85%
Really Don't Care 6 23.08%
Other 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 PM
n/a

Default The New Yorker

I personally saw no humor in it. At best it was down right tasteless. I think the New Yorker should apologize to the Senator and his wife. And the rest of the country for that matter. I guess you can pretty much guess my vote. However, I am interested in other comments and opinions.

This poll will run for 3 days.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
n/a

Default Re: The New Yorker

Tasteless

...and add bigoted too.

Shirleevee
Old 07-18-2008, 08:47 PM
n/a

Cartoon caricatures have been a part of political satire since there was a printed page.
No different than showing our leaders and other world leaders with nukes in their hands or standing on a charred planet.

When you get to center stage, you need to have thick skin.

The biggest difference today VS yesteryear \....well we didn't have the biased media and the 24/7 coverage of each and every little thing that turns up...then churning it day after day to further brain wash the the special interest/partisans who are ready to call foul at the drop of a hat...warranted or not....true or not.....

I prefer the yesteryear method as it allows/demands one understand ON THEIR OWN a given issue.

I voted patriotic but on further reflection my vote does really belong in humorous....because it is...the cover as well as the unwarranted hoopla.

Can't have been too bad....we didn't hear from Sharpton or Jackson..eh?

BTK
Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
n/a

So let me get this right. If the New Yorker does a cover (which they did) of President Bush as VP Cheney's "lap dog", that is funny.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM
n/a

Most of the political cartoons take "liberal license" with the candidates and office-holders. I really can't remember one that did not either slam the person or portray the person in a tasteless manner.

What is common is that it's always "funny" if it's the "other" candidate or the office-holder if not of the same political persuasion as the cartoonist.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:37 PM
n/a

This was one of those stories that they run when they are not able to find anything of substance to write about. 5,000 children starve a day in Africa, there is a war in Afghanistan, almost of full quarter of the US population has not way to access regular medical care, people are having to decide what is more important, driving or eating. And the news is covering a cartoon on the New Yorker. Next....
Old 07-19-2008, 04:29 AM
n/a

I think it's just awful. I'm sure the Republicans would be up in arms if it depicted John McCain being dressed by someone because he is too flippin' old to find his shoes and Cindy, sneaking off to the bathroom to get drugged up again. Tasteless, yes. So is this cover! Indeed, The New Yorker owes Senator Obama and his wife an apology. >
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM
n/a

The New Yorker, being a liberal publication, printed the cover assuming that people would see it as a depiction of the distortions regarding Obama that exist. I think astute readers will recognize it as such. Sadly, with all the untruths and fear mongering going on in the country, there is another element of reader who will see the cover as being true, not a satire. For this reason, I think it was at the very least, inappropriate of the New Yorker to print it, for in effect, they're promoting a stereotype.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Dancer
The New Yorker, being a liberal publication, printed the cover assuming that people would see it as a depiction of the distortions regarding Obama that exist. I think astute readers will recognize it as such. Sadly, with all the untruths and fear mongering going on in the country, there is another element of reader who will see the cover as being true, not a satire. For this reason, I think it was at the very least, inappropriate of the New Yorker to print it, for in effect, they're promoting a stereotype.
Exactly Lil Dancer! :bigthumbsup:
Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 PM
n/a

Here's a link to that cover of the New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/online/cove...ow_blittcovers
Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
n/a

And all the other world leaders that have been portrayed in cartoon caricature have been always been some sort of negative/slanted in some way stereo-type. I find it no big deal about this one and like I said if ya ain't heard from Sharpton or Jackson it cain't be too bad, eh?

It was yesterday's news when it hits the stands and un-desrving the attention as pointed out above.

BTK

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.