Background of the Steele Dossier

Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 PM
n/a

Default Background of the Steele Dossier

Christopher Steele had spent most of his adult life in the shadows, as a counterintelligence officer for MI6, the British foreign intelligence service. His specialty was Russia. Steele was not accustomed to chatting with outsiders. But Steele was worried. He had spent several months, as the world now knows, researching connections between Donald Trump and Russia, and he had unearthed information indicating that Russia had been trying to co-opt and cultivate Trump for years, that the Trump camp had been trading information with the Russians, and that Vladimir Putin’s regime had gathered compromising material on Trump. (Yes, including the infamous supposed “pee tape.”)

All of this so frightened Steele—imagine a man tied to Moscow in this fashion winning the White House!—that he was willing to talk to me and be quoted, though not named.

Already, the FBI was digging into the Trump crew’s interactions with Russia and looking for any instances of collusion between the Trump camp and Moscow, though the American public had not yet been informed the bureau was doing so. Steele believed this was absolutely critical information for voters to have and he wanted the word out—even if that put him at risk of exposure.

During the campaign, the fundamentals of the Russia scandal emerged and were confirmed: Vladimir Putin’s regime mounted a covert campaign to subvert the election by cyber-attacking Democratic targets. Private cybersecurity companies declared that Russians were behind the hacking of the Democratic National Committee as soon as that assault was publicly disclosed in June 2016. By early October, the Obama administration officially attributed to the Moscow government the hacks and subsequent dumps of stolen documents and emails and noted this operation had been orchestrated by Russia’s “senior-most officials.” That was easy-to-read code for “Putin.”

Yet this received far less attention than other key campaign stories. A study by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard examined media references during the campaign and found nearly 70,000 references to Clinton and emails—an important story, to be sure—but just over 5,000 to Trump and Russia. Mentions of “Trump” and “women,” including reporting on his history of sexual harassment and assault, registered just 10,000.

Trump viciously attacked the intelligence community for presenting its assessment on Russia’s information warfare against the United States, and pummeled the media for covering the story. He fired FBI Director James Comey at least partly because he was leading an aggressive investigation of the Russia scandal. He has been recklessly slow in appointing key officials at the Department of Homeland Security, the main federal agency in charge of protecting the nation’s elections from new cyberattacks.

What has happened since the election further impeaches Trump and his lieutenants. In a truly better-late-than-never situation, more reporters began plowing this field. There have now been multiple news stories disclosing pre- and post-election meetings between Russians and key Trump people, including Michael Flynn, Jeff Sessions, and Jared Kushner. Sergei Kislyak, then the Russian ambassador to the U.S., told the Washington Post that he met with Flynn prior to the election. What exactly was the Trump campaign’s top national security adviser telling Putin’s man in Washington even as Russia was actively trying to subvert the election? No one is saying—yet.

-David Corn
Old 10-29-2017, 05:32 AM
n/a

First, I am more concerned and focused on the extent and damage Russia may or may not have had in American politics and the elections than salacious gossip.

Secondly then I am interested in just how Russia was/is able to penetrate our institutions and Washington, etc.

Thirdly I am interested in knowing the truth as to whether Russia was able to pull one over on our intelligence community and /or if they are complicit in this scandal of scandals

Fourth I am interested in learning if any politician and/or government officials have been co-opt by Russia.

This Russian debacle is larger than any one politician or government employee and if true a threat to our Republic.

This should not be a partisan issue
Old 10-29-2017, 06:17 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
First, I am more concerned and focused on the extent and damage Russia may or may not have had in American politics and the elections than salacious gossip.

Secondly then I am interested in just how Russia was/is able to penetrate our institutions and Washington, etc.

Thirdly I am interested in knowing the truth as to whether Russia was able to pull one over on our intelligence community and /or if they are complicit in this scandal of scandals

Fourth I am interested in learning if any politician and/or government officials have been co-opt by Russia.

This Russian debacle is larger than any one politician or government employee and if true a threat to our Republic.

You are a disgrace.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:15 AM
n/a

Quote:
Christopher Steele had spent most of his adult life in the shadows, as a counterintelligence officer for MI6, the British foreign intelligence service. His specialty was Russia. Steele was not accustomed to chatting with outsiders. But Steele was worried. He had spent several months, as the world now knows, researching connections between Donald Trump and Russia, and he had unearthed information indicating that Russia had been trying to co-opt and cultivate Trump for years, that the Trump camp had been trading information with the Russians, and that Vladimir Putin’s regime had gathered compromising material on Trump. (Yes, including the infamous supposed “pee tape.”)

All of this so frightened Steele—imagine a man tied to Moscow in this fashion winning the White House!—that he was willing to talk to me and be quoted, though not named.

Already, the FBI was digging into the Trump crew’s interactions with Russia and looking for any instances of collusion between the Trump camp and Moscow, though the American public had not yet been informed the bureau was doing so. Steele believed this was absolutely critical information for voters to have and he wanted the word out—even if that put him at risk of exposure.

During the campaign, the fundamentals of the Russia scandal emerged and were confirmed: Vladimir Putin’s regime mounted a covert campaign to subvert the election by cyber-attacking Democratic targets. Private cybersecurity companies declared that Russians were behind the hacking of the Democratic National Committee as soon as that assault was publicly disclosed in June 2016. By early October, the Obama administration officially attributed to the Moscow government the hacks and subsequent dumps of stolen documents and emails and noted this operation had been orchestrated by Russia’s “senior-most officials.” That was easy-to-read code for “Putin.”

Yet this received far less attention than other key campaign stories. A study by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard examined media references during the campaign and found nearly 70,000 references to Clinton and emails—an important story, to be sure—but just over 5,000 to Trump and Russia. Mentions of “Trump” and “women,” including reporting on his history of sexual harassment and assault, registered just 10,000.

Trump viciously attacked the intelligence community for presenting its assessment on Russia’s information warfare against the United States, and pummeled the media for covering the story. He fired FBI Director James Comey at least partly because he was leading an aggressive investigation of the Russia scandal. He has been recklessly slow in appointing key officials at the Department of Homeland Security, the main federal agency in charge of protecting the nation’s elections from new cyberattacks.

What has happened since the election further impeaches Trump and his lieutenants. In a truly better-late-than-never situation, more reporters began plowing this field. There have now been multiple news stories disclosing pre- and post-election meetings between Russians and key Trump people, including Michael Flynn, Jeff Sessions, and Jared Kushner. Sergei Kislyak, then the Russian ambassador to the U.S., told the Washington Post that he met with Flynn prior to the election. What exactly was the Trump campaign’s top national security adviser telling Putin’s man in Washington even as Russia was actively trying to subvert the election? No one is saying—yet.

-David Corn
Thanks for posting that. Very interesting.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:24 AM
n/a

Quote:

Suddenly you care !

Amazing..good to have you aboard after your fighting this for a long long time with strong language.

It IS larger, yet has been demeaned by the leader of the country, and had obstacles thrown at it by him from the beginning.

Maybe there is hope.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:07 PM
n/a

Wasn't it reported by the liberal bible that Steele lied and made up most of it. I wonder why it's brushed off by the news media when democrats are caught. The FBI and CIA BASED their investigation on the Dossier. So, the democrats think that getting trump out they will come out squeaky clean? the DNC and Hilary was proven cheaters and lair's during the debates and now buying steele's one sided made up story for money ( we still don't know who paid him due to the bank won't release payments yet, but they might have to as this winds down.

Course Hilary said she " knew nothing" again. Surprised she didn't quote her famous diversion "I can't recall" after I got 9 plus months to wipe clean and smash, acid dipped my hard drives from the 13 plus devices I didn't have.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Wasn't it reported by the liberal bible that Steele lied and made up most of it. I wonder why it's brushed off by the news media when democrats are caught. The FBI and CIA BASED their investigation on the Dossier. So, the democrats think that getting trump out they will come out squeaky clean? the DNC and Hilary was proven cheaters and lair's during the debates and now buying steele's one sided made up story for money ( we still don't know who paid him due to the bank won't release payments yet, but they might have to as this winds down.

Course Hilary said she " knew nothing" again. Surprised she didn't quote her famous diversion "I can't recall" after I got 9 plus months to wipe clean and smash, acid dipped my hard drives from the 13 plus devices I didn't have.
Crooked Hillary...she could not lose!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tags
trump, russia, election, campaign, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.