Party of Compassion

Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 PM
n/a

I'm afraid you are right VK. When it gets to a point in this country that a cut of $868 million represents a mere 13 percent of a taxpayer funded program, there is something seriously wrong. The proposals are also cutting $457 million, about one-third of the total amount funded annually, from a taxpayer funded program called Food for Peace which supports shipping US commodities to Africa and other places around the world.

Let's be real; how much will the 13 percent cut to the Women, Infant and Children program hurt? The program offers, “supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.” I'd like to see how the money is actually used in the program. How much "food out of the mouth of babes" is actually going away? Probably not much. More like cutting the fat of the program.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:47 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
__________________________________________________ ___

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which
debt he proposes to pay off with your money..
-G Gordon Liddy
__________________________________________________ ____

Well said! If I may add~IMHO~They propose to use your money because they have the mindset of "why should I have to do it if you don't!?!"
Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul.
- George Bernard Shaw
__________________________________________________ ___

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which
debt he proposes to pay off with your money..
-G Gordon Liddy
__________________________________________________ ____

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have.
-Thomas Jefferson
Great quotes. It is about this time in the discussion when the "progressives" leave the room. The libertarian arguement is a pretty strong one.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
n/a

Interested to check out the view from the recievers of liberal compassion? Star Parker has written a wonderful book "Uncle Sam's Plantation". Enormous KUDOS to Star for her courage to become free and her courage to speak out about it! I have two young adult children who have recently graduated college and I have passed her book along to them. I hope that their generation can make a difference.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 AM
n/a

Default Another quote

Slashing $868 million from a program to help low-income women, infants, and children to fund more money to big corporation farm subsidies?

Let's add one more quotation to those excellent ones listed earlier.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." - Jesus
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Slashing $868 million from a program to help low-income women, infants, and children to fund more money to big corporation farm subsidies?

Excellent point T-Bugs. I loved myself enough to start working when I was 12 years old. I loved myself enough to continue my education while working full time.
I loved my child enough to make sure she got a job at 15. I loved my daughter enough to see to it that she finished her college education, all the while working 30+ hours a week to pay part of her expenses. She also joined my wife and me working with the needy in our community, oh and by the way, she was all of 6 years old when she began working in the food pantry.
Seems like work has always been part of our lives, whether paid or unpaid. I can't imagine a more important way to show love for others than to prepare them to care for themselves.
There is no such thing as undigified work, no job too menial to be taken to support oneself. To love your neighbor as yourself does not mean to give someone what they should be earning for themself. It does not mean doing something for someone that they should be doing for themself.
To love ones neighbor means to enable them to do for themselves, they'll feel better about it and I will too.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Excellent point T-Bugs. I loved myself enough to start working when I was 12 years old. I loved myself enough to continue my education while working full time.
I loved my child enough to make sure she got a job at 15. I loved my daughter enough to see to it that she finished her college education, all the while working 30+ hours a week to pay part of her expenses. She also joined my wife and me working with the needy in our community, oh and by the way, she was all of 6 years old when she began working in the food pantry.
Seems like work has always been part of our lives, whether paid or unpaid. I can't imagine a more important way to show love for others than to prepare them to care for themselves.
There is no such thing as undigified work, no job too menial to be taken to support oneself. To love your neighbor as yourself does not mean to give someone what they should be earning for themself. It does not mean doing something for someone that they should be doing for themself.
To love ones neighbor means to enable them to do for themselves, they'll feel better about it and I will too.
AMEN BRUTHA! ~Jesus also says that we should not muzzle the ox that powers the grain grinder. He also says that all work is profitable. Not sure that he advocates dehumanizing others by making them soley dependant on others for their sustenance.
I love Jesus more than life itself. I give generously to the charities that He directs me to give to. Just happens that it doesn't include abortion mills like Planned Parenthood, that perpetual the lie that an unborn child is less important than the choice his or her mother must make. That is just the tip of the iceberg of places where I have not been directed to give.
Anyway, I agrees wholeheartedly with BlueDog...Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
n/a

Right on BlueDog and Katz Pajamas. Liberals are so compassionate and loving and generous with other people's money. No one is stopping Bugs and any of the others to help out financially those who they feel are needy. Many do through charitable donations and volunteer work.

Jesus said "Love thy neighbor as thyself", as Bugs pointed out. I don't take that loving to mean "Confiscate your neighbor's money and spread it around as you see fit".
Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post

If people followed this commandment, there would be no need for the government programs which operate by taking money from taxpayers at the threat of penalty and/or imprisonment if you fail to give your share.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
n/a

OMG
Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM
n/a

Agree with you, Dale.

It seems as though these conservatives would rather give money for big corporations farm subsidies.

72% of farms are now big corporations rather than family farms. Did you know that the family farmer can get $80,000 per year in farm subsidies, too? That is in addition to whatever they make without subsidies.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
n/a

That's not true is it Tbugs? I don't think the number is that high. Where did you get that figure? The USDA numbers show something quite the opposite.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
n/a

Compassionate or not is not the problem. The problem is poor management of these programs, and I suspect in many cases outright fraud and waste.

First I abhor corporate bailouts (period). Secondly there are very legimate reasons why people need help and in some cases because of various diabilities will always need help. We should help these folks and we should encourage them to help themselves without pulling the rug out from under them. There are many people out there free loading and controls need to be built in to turn that around. My concern is that some pols will throw the baby out with the bathwater. i agree we need to cut back on some programs my concern for the truly needy is that the government acts based on political motivations. What I am saying is before you begin discussion define the situations were assistance is needed and examples where you see fraud/waste and solutions. A military vet totally disabled may need permanent or temp assistance depending on the possibility of vocational training, etc
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM
n/a

I just cannot believe we have Americans who are either so selfish or so brainwashed. Corporate welfare,attavks on unions,unfathomable military spending,taxbreaks for the wealthiest....nothing said. And to talk about wasteful spending and not mention the defense budget is just wrong. It is the most wasteful of any of our programs. I don't get it. And this work or starve garbage is just that,garbage. Most Americans are hard working,honest people. Those who beat the system are in the minority and the money they steal isn't equal to one Abrams tank or one nuclear sub. Instead of screwing the disadvantaged and the poor how about going where the real stealing is taking place. Oh I forgot,those are the groups with the biggest lobbyists and the biggest payouts.Its easy to attack people and groups who are not represented,it takes no guts.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
n/a

Thank you, Waynet. Amazing what kind of response this posting brought. I knew the right wing-nuts were crazy all the time - but not selfish to the point they have showed themselves to be in their posts.

Just a couple of them showed some compassion for others - most were just mean-spirited haters.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.