Question for union members and ex union

Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM
n/a

First, I know i will probably take some heat for this but I am in favor of Unions. I worked in the private sector for a small company for years. I left because after 10 years I was paid less than the bosses daughter who just graduated from High School and spent most of the work day shopping. I took a job in a union shop and never looked back. The point I wanted to make is that just because you are a union worker and your union endorses a candidate that doesn't mean you have to vote for that candidate. A union worker still has the right to vote for whoever they want. I am registered as an independent and will vote for whoever I feel will represent me the best. I think some on this forum think that union voters blindly vote for who the union endorses and I am here to tell you that you are incorrect. I still have the option of voting for who I want in this country and so far my vote counts just as much as yours. Thanks for giving me a place to vent.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by army one View Post
First, I know i will probably take some heat for this but I am in favor of Unions. I worked in the private sector for a small company for years. I left because after 10 years I was paid less than the bosses daughter who just graduated from High School and spent most of the work day shopping. I took a job in a union shop and never looked back. The point I wanted to make is that just because you are a union worker and your union endorses a candidate that doesn't mean you have to vote for that candidate. A union worker still has the right to vote for whoever they want. I am registered as an independent and will vote for whoever I feel will represent me the best. I think some on this forum think that union voters blindly vote for who the union endorses and I am here to tell you that you are incorrect. I still have the option of voting for who I want in this country and so far my vote counts just as much as yours. Thanks for giving me a place to vent.

Good post.....and I was the one who mentioned the endorsements.

I can tell you from practical experience, my wife surely didnt vote as the union tried to mandate. Actually, and might be embarassing, she probably voted just the opposite.

I was just curious how actual members felt about it....I know the days of members simply pulling the lever they were told to pull are over, or at least I hope so. My dad and my wife's dad were both steelworkers from Pa and they told stories from way back when the were pretty much told emphatically how to vote and right outside the booth.

I hope that stuff doesnt exist any longer, but thanks for a great post. I started this thread to learn from others on here and I did...thank you
Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by army one View Post
Thanks, I agree and I was shocked to learn that one of our Conservatives here was a Teamster. Ya never know and that's a good thing.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Thanks, I agree and I was shocked to learn that one of our Conservatives here was a Teamster. Ya never know and that's a good thing.
I'm guessing you might mean me, and no, I haven't voted for a union endorsed candidate in quite a few years.

I'm an American, first; a husband and father, second; a Teamster, third, and a Christian all the time.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
n/a

Quote:
Since we are all "coming out" and I want no abuse for this....I worked (NON teamster) for a regional carrier...Highway Express...bought by Maislin out of Canada. WAY back I think in early 70's !!!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I'm guessing you might mean me, and no, I haven't voted for a union endorsed candidate in quite a few years.

I'm an American, first; a husband and father, second; and a Christian all the time.
and I wasn't being derogatory please believe me. I was refreshed by your background and your commitment to real values. It was a great revelation.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Since we are all "coming out" and I want no abuse for this....I worked (NON teamster) for a regional carrier...Highway Express...bought by Maislin out of Canada. WAY back I think in early 70's !!!
I remember the Maislin thing. They took over a chit load of carriers. Brother we probably have plenty to talk about.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
n/a

Quote:
I remember the Maislin thing. They took over a chit load of carriers. Brother we probably have plenty to talk about.
Worked in the home office and was offered a job in Montreal, but after considering....said no and went on my way, but was an interesting time. I can recall the traffic guys getting headaches over the ICC routes etc. The owner of the company asked me once to do a look see at who he might buy but in those days, laying the ICC regulations over everything to determine if the other carrier would "fit" !! It was really confusing at times.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
n/a

Quote:
Worked in the home office and was offered a job in Montreal, but after considering....said no and went on my way, but was an interesting time. I can recall the traffic guys getting headaches over the ICC routes etc. The owner of the company asked me once to do a look see at who he might buy but in those days, laying the ICC regulations over everything to determine if the other carrier would "fit" !! It was really confusing at times.
Those routes were crazy, the over laps, gateways, all that jazz. The railroad, now that was rich. Firemen on diesels.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
n/a

Quote:
Maislin eventually took over Gateway Trucking around that time, and then Quinn, if I remember correctly.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM
n/a

Quote:
and I wasn't being derogatory please believe me. I was refreshed by your background and your commitment to real values. It was a great revelation.
I was offended in the least. I caught more grief for my political beliefs from my fellow workers in the driver's room of my old job than I do here.

I did win a nice amount of coin from some fellow drivers who bet me that George W. Bush would not win reelection. The "Bush Hate" was palpable and so they were "easy marks".

Some of the sweetest moments ever. You never saw such angry guys digging in their pockets to pay up. I made sure to catch them in very public locations so that they'd be an audience for me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.