Sarah Palin! Again!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
n/a

Default Re: Sarah Palin! Again!

What I find quite appaling is that Democrats are making this "17 year old un-wed mother to be" an issue, however if she would have just killed the little guy (another name for abortion), this would be a non-issue.

Quite disturbing.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
n/a

Appropriate comment for today's tolerance in some quarters, Petegru.

Gutter politics at it's finest.

We have today three page ones for the New York Times all focused on Palin's daughter.

It is political and partisan tactics to keep the heat and the spot light off the real issues.

Oh if we could only get as much attention to the real intents of the candidates.

Tit for tat mudslingers (both parties) wasting our precious time and $$$$. It is so bad they have even passed up the war and energy independence as major topics. I know somebody will call me on the last time who ever said what about either subject.

There is way to little discussion of PRESIDENTIAL substance.

I have seen better campaigning content in high school and colleges.

BTK
Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puterguru
What I find quite appaling is that Democrats are making this "17 year old un-wed mother to be" an issue, however if she would have just killed the little guy (another name for abortion), this would be a non-issue.

Quite disturbing.
This is what I find disturbing....A very negative Obama thread was posted here which contained these 2 comments:

HE IS PROUD OF HIS ‘AFRICAN HERITAGE’ (A FATHER
WHO GOT A GIRL PREGNANT AND DESERTED HER).

WHERE IS THE PRIDE IN HIS ‘WHITE HERITAGE’? (A
MOTHER WHO FLAUNTED CONVENTION AND DID NOT BELIEVE IN GOD).

Actually they got married and divorced when Obama was 2 years old.

Now by my way of thinking you can't have it both ways...If it was wrong for Obama's mother to get pregnant at 17 and an issue is being made about that...then Palin's daughter getting pregnant at 17 is an issue. The Republican party has made itself out to be the party of Family Values...be in the recent past we have seen:

A Republican Senator nabbed at an airport for sex solicitation
A Republican Senator on the DC Madams list
A Republican Congressman hitting on the teenage male pages.

Obama's mother didn't get an abortion and neither will this young woman....if she is to be applauded for her actions then certainly so should Obama's mother.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 PM
n/a

This is the way I see it. Agree or disagree, again, this is the way I see it. Sarah Palin left to go back to work 3 days after giving birth to a boy with Down Syndrome. Then, even though he is now only 4 months old, she decided to take on this campaign. Do I call that great mothering? No, not in my opinion.

------------------------------

The reason I am not voting for Obama is a protest to the sexism that went on during the Democratic primaries. Even Laura Bush has commented on it. The statement above reflects the kind of sexism women politicians have to face.

If a man with a 4 month old Down Syndrome child can run for office then a women also should be able to run without comment.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
n/a

Palin gave a speech in June to the graduating class of her former church, Wasilla Assembly of God. She stated "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending U. S. soldiers on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

This mentality is much more troubling than whether or not she is a great mother.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl
Palin gave a speech in June to the graduating class of her former church, Wasilla Assembly of God. She stated "Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending U. S. soldiers on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

This mentality is much more troubling than whether or not she is a great mother.
I think McCain rushed this VP pick and kept it quiet for a while is because he's probably afraid of what's going to come out about her.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl

Have we degenerated that much that such a sentiment is considered troubling? These comments could well have been said by FDR or Eleanor at any time from 1941 to 45, by Wilson in 1917, by Lincoln fom 1861-65, or Washington at Valley Forge. Now this mentality is troubling? If this is the prevailing attitude in this country, we're doomed.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
n/a

So you actually believe the Iraq war is doing God's will? WOW!!!!!! I didn't realize the Crusades were started up again??

As an aside, Palin also suggested the same group pray for a $30 billion gas pipe line she wanted built in the state "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people to get that gas line built so pray for that."

Guess all her prayers are ultimately about oil.

A heartbeat away!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
n/a

Not only is this prayer consistent with what former presidents would have offered but also what Jesus instructed his disciples in the Lord's Prayer: "Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven". This may be offensive to some, but to the vast majority of Americans it is standard theology.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
n/a

What am I doing posting on here?

Sarah Palin is a little more conservative than me, and quite a bit more religious.

I am a (cradle) Catholic who supports legalized abortion, but never could have one. I also am for stem cell research. But I am very financially conservative.

I also could never have five children because I am to much a worrier.

I think she is a good person.

I am pleased that Senator Obama said "Let's leave the children out of this."

I still don't know who to vote for.

And I hope some of you still like me. I am too old to hide my views if I am going to comfortably live among you.

Why did I post in political. Omigosh.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
What am I doing posting on here?

Sarah Palin is a little more conservative than me, and quite a bit more religious.

I am a (cradle) Catholic who supports legalized abortion, but never could have one. I also am for stem cell research. But I am very financially conservative.

I also could never have five children because I am to much a worrier.

I think she is a good person.

I am pleased that Senator Obama said "Let's leave the children out of this."

I still don't know who to vote for.

And I hope some of you still like me. I am too old to hide my views if I am going to comfortably live among you.

Why did I post in political. Omigosh.
Well some of my best friends are Republican and some Democrat. No matter who you vote for you can come over to my house for coffee...that is when I get there in Dec.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue
Not only is this prayer consistent with what former presidents would have offered but also what Jesus instructed his disciples in the Lord's Prayer: "Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven". This may be offensive to some, but to the vast majority of Americans it is standard theology.

Sorry, but to say that the war in Iraq is "God's Will" is just idiotic! Yes, I am a Catholic. I believe in prayer, but I don't believe other Presidents would have put the prayer in just that way. If she had left out "this is a task from God, or this is God's plan" it would have been fine. But to put it the way she did is not only troubling, it is disgusting. It's just wrong.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
n/a

Chelsea,

Note that she did not say that Iraq war was God's will. To the contrary, she asked the students to pray that what we do in Iraq is according to God's plan and that our leaders are following God's plan by sending troops there. In other words, if sending troop to Iraq is not part of God's plan that our leaders would recognize this and bring them home. This idea of submitting to God's plan is a fundamental aspect of Christianity as well as most of the world's religions. Only when viewed through partisan lenses does it seem nefarious.

Edit: To clarify, I think this is a paraphrase of how you are reading this:
Pray for ... Also for this country, that and for our leaders, our national leaders, who are sending U. S. soldiers on a task that is from God. . The part in bold is what would have to be added and the part with the strike through would have to be deleted for it to mean what you think it means.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologal
Well some of my best friends are Republican and some Democrat. No matter who you vote for you can come over to my house for coffee...that is when I get there in Dec.
Hugs to you. You just come to my house too.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
n/a

If I can come, too, I'll bring some homemade cake!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.