Richard Cole

Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 AM
n/a

Default Richard Cole

Anyone follow the candidates for Sumter County legal positions like Judges and the Clerk of the Circuit Court?

I never know whom to vote for with these as there is often so little information about the people running?

Richard Cole was campaigning at one of the Villages postal stations and I met him briefly while I was picking up my mail. "He is the guy in the blue shirt" was about the extent of it though.

I see that he is President of the Villages Republican Club of Sumter County.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:18 AM
n/a

Thanks for bringing this up. I got my ballot yesterday (another county) and it asks about retaining six judges. It states name and position and you vote yes or no for retaining them. I feel confident that I've educated myself on other issues but don't know about these judges. Also, what happens if people vote "no" re retaining them?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM
n/a

Default clerk of the court

Gloria Haywood is running and has been in the job for 18 years. She is and has been a democrat; many of the politicians were dems and changed to republican. There is no reason to change and have a new person. I believe that cole also is past president of the VHA.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 AM
n/a

Default Guess they lose their judgeships

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. I got my ballot yesterday (another county) and it asks about retaining six judges. It states name and position and you vote yes or no for retaining them. I feel confident that I've educated myself on other issues but don't know about these judges. Also, what happens if people vote "no" re retaining them?
"Are all judges retained in office by voting "for retention" or "against retention?"
No. Justices of the Supreme Court and Judges of the District Courts of Appeal are subject to retention voting. Circuit judges and county judges are subject to election just like other candidates except where a local option has passed calling for selection of these judges by merit selection and retention voting. (Sections 105.041(2), 105.051(2), F.S., and Article V, Section 10, Florida Constitution) "

Quote is from the DOS FL Division of Elections Frequently Asked Questions web-site. http://election.dos.state.fl.us/gen-faq.shtml

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.