Something about Mitt you may not know...

Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I never said Snopes is ****. I do use Snopes too but you should use other stuff as well. I have mentioned on some other threads on TOTV that I do not hold Snopes in the high regard that others do. Mainly I do not like Snopes.com because of their message boards in which various posters make fun of people stupid enough to e-mail the Mikkelsons for help. The Mikkelsons are the couple behind Snopes.com which they fund through advertisers. snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages Politics - snopes.com When tinfoil hats aren't enough - Page 50 - snopes.com
Now your new source of truth is Wikipedia. Are you aware that anyone can edit anything on Wikipedia? I sometimes try to look up factual information on the site, but never anything that is even slightly political. Using Wikipedia for this is at best naive.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
Now your new source of truth is Wikipedia. Are you aware that anyone can edit anything on Wikipedia? I sometimes try to look up factual information on the site, but never anything that is even slightly political. Using Wikipedia for this is at best naive.
False and misleading about me and wikipedia. I use wikipedia as a started point. The Note section of Wikipedia is where you can get at the facts of various issues. Help:Footnotes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Surviving Wikipedia: | American Association of School Librarians (AASL)

Not anyone can edit Wikipedia either. Try editing Wikipedia yourself sometime. I doubt if you will get anywhere.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 AM
n/a

Default I am just saying that Romney never saved the girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
These two articles are from the Boston Globe in 1996. (Am posting the texts of them because they're so old that a subscription to an archive service is needed to see the entirely...but MA Right to Life posted them in full.)

I see NO reason to discredit Romney and the Gay family for these accounts of the desperate situation they were in.

And by the way, even if it were found out later that the girl had been safe in a home in NJ, the fact that she was missing to her parents and they didn't know whether she was dead or alive or alive and being tortured is every parent's worst nightmare.

Most people could only WISH to have a friend as loyal and dedicated as Mitt Romney and partners who did this search:

The Boston Globe

July 12, 1996, Friday, City Edition

Investment firm shuts to help find girl; 50 employees fly to NYC in search for teen-ager

By Shirley Leung, Globe Staff

When Bain Capital Inc. executives learned the 14-year-old daughter of a business partner was missing, they responded by closing the Boston company's office and flew about 50 employees to New York City to look for the girl themselves.

Yesterday, in their first day of searching, they pounded the pavement,plastered the city with 200,000 fliers and quizzed teen-agers at concerts and parks.

But as of late last night, Melissa Gay was still nowhere to be found.

"Our children are what life is all about," said W. Mitt Romney, founder and managing partner of Bain Capital. "Everything else takes a back seat."

Bob Gay, one of 12 managing directors of Bain Capital, last saw his daughter Saturday. The family lives in Ridgefield, Conn., and Melissa had been dropped off at the local tennis club around 3:30 that afternoon.

When her mother, Lynette, called the club around 6 p.m. to see if Melissa had finished playing, club staff said she wasn't there. Lynette and Bob Gay assumed their daughter had grabbed a bite to eat with her tennis partner.

Bob Gay waited until 2 that night. His daughter never came home. "That's when we knew something was not right," he said in a telephone interview last night from New York City.

They called all her friends and then called police. They soon learned that Melissa had hopped a train with several friends to New York Saturday night to catch the Rock Rave-Fantasia II concert in Manhattan.

Her friends returned to Connecticut without Melissa sometime Sunday. Bob Gay doesn't believe his daughter ran away, because she didn't take any clothes and had only $ 10 with her. "I believe she fully intended to go to the concert without telling us, but not stay there in the city," he said.

Ridgefield and New York police are working together. Hospitals have been checked and arrest records canvassed, Gay has been told.

New York police said her friends last saw her at a party at 11 a.m. Sunday near the Whitestone Bridge, which connects Queens and the Bronx.

Last night, officials from both departments would not comment on the case, except to say that the investigation is continuing. But Bob Gay just couldn't sit back and watch.

On Wednesday he walked the streets of Manhattan looking for his blonde daughter, who was last seen wearing a blue or red-striped shirt and baggy tan pants.

Gay, who has worked for Bain for eight years, kept his ordeal to himself, confiding only in Romney. But Wednesday, Romney decided to tell the other 11 managing directors, and they decided that finding a missing daughter was more important than operating a $ 1 billion investment firm.

The executives decided not only to give their time but their money, paying all expenses for the search for the fifth of Gay's seven children.

That night, 16 employees flew to New York, turned a function room of the Laguardia Marriott Hotel into a "war room," and got printing giant R. R. Donnelly to print 200,000 fliers with a color picture of Melissa. They also hired a private investigator and set up an 800-number hot line.

Another 40 employees caught an early morning shuttle yesterday, and later were joined by about 250 colleagues from other Wall Street firms, including Goldman Sachs, Price Waterhouse and Bankers Trust.

"Most of us have children," said Stephen Pagliuca, 44, a Bain managing director with four children. "That's the most important thing in our lives. It wasn't even a question. We just decided to do it."

Anyone with information on Melissa Gay can call 1-800-783-7454, extension 1111.

-----------

Then ... about six months later.

-------------------

The Boston Globe

December 8, 1996, Sunday, City Edition

Bain Capital recalls NY search

BYLINE: By Peter S. Canellos, Globe Staff

Last week, the partners of Boston's Bain Capital Inc. drew up their annual list of accomplishments: Number one was the week they spent last July combing Manhattan in search of Melissa Gay, the missing 14-year-old daughter of one of the partners.

"It really overshadowed everything we did from a money standpoint," said Mitt Romney, the Bain Capital founder who won the 1994 Massachusetts Republican Senate nomination partly on his reputation as a venture capital wiz. "The days and nights spent looking for Missy Gay were more valuable than some financial home runs that made the front page of the Wall Street Journal. I mean, money is just money."

The 15 Bain Capital partners chartered a plane to New York to search for the missing youngster among the thousands of abandoned children and runaways who congregate in Manhattan.

They didn't find her themselves. She turned up in Montville, N.J. The Associated Press reported at the time that she was dazed from a disorienting dose of a drug taken at a rock concert.

Now back in school and fully recovered, Melissa and her parents are doing well, Romney said. The partners, however, are still taking stock of their visit to the dark corners of New York, putting up posters and talking to runaways outside seedy nightclubs and peep shows. Romney said he can't escape some of the images he carries with him from his week in the New York underworld.

"It was a shocker," he said. "The number of lost souls was astounding."

Romney said one partner still talks about a runaway he spoke with in search of information about Melissa.

"The girl asked, 'Why are you looking for her?' and he said, 'Because her parents miss her,' " Romney said. "She replied, 'I wish my parents
missed me like that.' "

Mass Pro-Life
Of course, parents suffer when their kids run off for whatever reason. Mitt Romney is to be commended for using his employees to search for the kid of another employee after the kid went missing. All employees would be lucky to have such an employer.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 AM
n/a

Gosh reading the previous 18 posts was like watching a Sienfeld rerun. It was all about "nothing." I truly don't wish to be judgmental here but why do otherwise intelligent people allow such distractions. I am for better or worse a bottom line guy. Perhaps some could accuse me of shallow thinking. But botom line for me is that when one compares Romney v Obama, whatis it that becomes evident to you. I have made my discoveries and hands down Romney instills more confidence and trust that he has an agenda that will bring back the economy, reinforce family values, protect our nation and restore America to its rightful place as a world leader. He is solid, ethical, thoughtful, intelligent, a visionary, measured, sophicated and clears away any emotion before making his decisions. This father-like figure is someone I will support.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
But botom line for me is that when one compares Romney v Obama, whatis it that becomes evident to you. I have made my discoveries and hands down Romney instills more confidence and trust that he has an agenda that will bring back the economy, reinforce family values, protect our nation and restore America to its rightful place as a world leader. He is solid, ethical, thoughtful, intelligent, a visionary, measured, sophicated and clears away any emotion before making his decisions. This father-like figure is someone I will support.
Very well-said and I agree with you 100%...thank you for saying what I truly believe wholeheartedly.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM
n/a

Quote:
Gosh reading the previous 18 posts was like watching a Sienfeld rerun. It was all about "nothing." I truly don't wish to be judgmental here but why do otherwise intelligent people allow such distractions. I am for better or worse a bottom line guy. Perhaps some could accuse me of shallow thinking. But botom line for me is that when one compares Romney v Obama, whatis it that becomes evident to you. I have made my discoveries and hands down Romney instills more confidence and trust that he has an agenda that will bring back the economy, reinforce family values, protect our nation and restore America to its rightful place as a world leader. He is solid, ethical, thoughtful, intelligent, a visionary, measured, sophicated and clears away any emotion before making his decisions. This father-like figure is someone I will support.
Well said rubicon.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
n/a

Quote:
Agree and nice to see someone say it on here. I have been in this mans corner from day one and am proud of it.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM
n/a

Default Romney's Mormon Faith

Rommeny's Mormon faith is another of those faux distraction. Again bottom line for me is that while I do not have to agree with the Mormon faith I have come to learn that when all is said and done through their acts of charity family values ,etc Mormons leave the world better than as they found it.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
n/a

Quote:

Rommeny's Mormon faith is another of those faux distraction. Again bottom line for me is that while I do not have to agree with the Mormon faith I have come to learn that when all is said and done through their acts of charity family values ,etc Mormons leave the world better than as they found it.
I will take his version of a faithful man over several of his previous running mates. He will run the country and not try to run our personal lives.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 AM
n/a

1) Snopes does a LOT more than just 'googling stories'. In many cases, the Mikkelsons outline the steps they take to confirm/debunk stories.

2) It's not at odds to say that the girl was never in any danger - but Mitt and his partner DID NOT KNOW THAT at the time. As far as they were concerned, the girl was missing.

3) The point that others make is that Mitt is VERY charitable and giving - for people in HIS circle. His stated desire to cut services for others *appears* to show two sides of Mitt. If you're in his circle, he's an undying ally and friend. If not, well, you're on your own.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
1) Snopes does a LOT more than just 'googling stories'. In many cases, the Mikkelsons outline the steps they take to confirm/debunk stories.

2) It's not at odds to say that the girl was never in any danger - but Mitt and his partner DID NOT KNOW THAT at the time. As far as they were concerned, the girl was missing.

3) The point that others make is that Mitt is VERY charitable and giving - for people in HIS circle. His stated desire to cut services for others *appears* to show two sides of Mitt. If you're in his circle, he's an undying ally and friend. If not, well, you're on your own.
Number 3 is also the point of the article in Vanity Fair too. This was the artcile on the Dark Side of Mitt Romney. The Dark Side of Mitt Romney | Politics | Vanity Fair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.