Is there any way to eliminate the trolls ?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:01 PM
n/a

Default Is there any way to eliminate the trolls ?

I am relatively new here, but finding it almost impossible to even try to contribute to this board with all the trolls that seem to patrol here.

They withstand insult and my question is how can this forum get rid of them ?

Is there a way or method to get rid of them permanently ?

They ruin this for me.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 PM
n/a

Sorry, but it's the nature of a political forum, especially an anonymous one.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM
n/a

Boots on the ground........oops, sorry, wrong thread!

All kidding aside, I'm afraid it is the nature of the forum as previously mentioned. Best thing to do is not encourage them, I guess............sometimes I fail to do that.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:58 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Sorry, but it's the nature of a political forum, especially an anonymous one.

This is right. On the earlier political forum, names were used but it still got nasty. Some real nasty ones did get banned and then complaints finally got too much for the administration and they shut the whole thing down.

A political forum with no names given is going to be subject to name calling and baiting by some of the posters. It will be almost impossible to carry one an actual discussion - partially because the opposing side will ridicule the posts they do not agree with.

I would like to see the forum changed to identify the posters. However, I doubt this will happen.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:08 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
This is right. On the earlier political forum, names were used but it still got nasty. Some real nasty ones did get banned and then complaints finally got too much for the administration and they shut the whole thing down.

A political forum with no names given is going to be subject to name calling and baiting by some of the posters. It will be almost impossible to carry one an actual discussion - partially because the opposing side will ridicule the posts they do not agree with.

I would like to see the forum changed to identify the posters. However, I doubt this will happen.
I always wanted to ask the question that the OP asked. I would love it.

I would love to have names on here. I KNOW who 2 or 3 of the trolls are..and most of the regular posters know them as well...they post on the regular board all the time.

But, would love to just have people know these people. Just so people know. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not entitled to mock and jeer like children

They seem to take great pride in "getting away with it"......and I honestly am also guilty of confronting them because I hope someday I can have them slip up and everybody on the board knows who. They have left here at times and gone to another board to discuss us, which is always interesting because they switch up names over there. Quite a crew when their life is trolling
Old 06-15-2015, 03:17 PM
n/a

It is so much better now than in the past. The trollers are a very minor distraction compared to when names were used. Thanks to the current management, trolling is truly toned down to a drizzle.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:26 PM
n/a

A while ago, I suggested a Meet and Greet for the Political Forum at a local bar. This, I believe, would have been a good idea to get to know who the fellow posters were and after meeting in person, the trolling might actually stop.

I am still advocating for that Meet and Greet. Any takers? You might find that you have more in common with posters than against.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM
n/a

Quote:
A while ago, I suggested a Meet and Greet for the Political Forum at a local bar. This, I believe, would have been a good idea to get to know who the fellow posters were and after meeting in person, the trolling might actually stop.

I am still advocating for that Meet and Greet. Any takers? You might find that you have more in common with posters than against.
Hey brother, please count me in. I will take roll and buy the first round. I am positive the folks that hate on line could shake hands and even give a hug in person. You organize it and I WILL BE THERE.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 PM
n/a

Sorry, I did post number 8 as guest, but if you wish to send me an invitation, I go by Grandfinch on the other side of the partition.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:38 PM
n/a

Quote:

I can only speak for myself, but I KNOW there is no common ground for me with anyone who would even CONSIDER trolling, let alone DO IT on their neighborhood forum.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:48 PM
n/a

In my neighborhood growing up we had our version of the dirty dozen that was actually fun. So by the time we left to face the world we were well prepared.

So the trolls are a non-event
Old 06-15-2015, 03:50 PM
n/a

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but I KNOW there is no common ground for me with anyone who would even CONSIDER trolling, let alone DO IT on their neighborhood forum.
Being a man an a child of God, I can always find forgivness i my heart for someone that made a mistakeand asks for a secon chance.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM
n/a

Quote:
In my neighborhood growing up we had our version of the dirty dozen that was actually fun. So by the time we left to face the world we were well prepared.

So the trolls are a non-event
I committed to not responding to the trolls, but to your comment.....the one thing that bothers me about the trolls is that they actually aspire to hurt people with their words, and seem to glow in doing it.

To your point, but perhaps another direction, I was taught very early about treading lightly on others feeling, and thus have a sensitivity to what they type.

Amazing what we keep from our childhood.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 PM
n/a

Quote:
I committed to not responding to the trolls, but to your comment.....the one thing that bothers me about the trolls is that they actually aspire to hurt people with their words, and seem to glow in doing it.

To your point, but perhaps another direction, I was taught very early about treading lightly on others feeling, and thus have a sensitivity to what they type.

Amazing what we keep from our childhood.
Correct, but keep in mind that most hurtful comments come as a result of a hurtful comment made by the first party with exaggeration to make a point.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 PM
n/a

Quote:
Correct, but keep in mind that most hurtful comments come as a result of a hurtful comment made by the first party with exaggeration to make a point.
NOT from the troll group.

I am very experienced in political discussion, both on the Internet and face to face.

The sheer nature of this kind of discussion will allow for "jibes", and thus you need a thick skin for that.

These folks are not discussing anything..ever. In a real adult discussion, you may "jibe" at whom you are disagreeing with but stay on the point of discussion and make and validate your point. Expected.

Trolling as was defined in a thread yesterday is not that..

"n Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

This has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with disagreeing with a point made, and stating your case. This forum needs more of that.

No, this is more like bar room bravado, you know all the guys laugh when I mock someone, and who cares we are in a bar.

Disagree with anyone, that is the point of having a forum. Running in here with nothing but the intent of badgering....that is a troll.

Listen, most of know who these folks are, and how is that said diplomatically....this a'int their first rodeo.

Tags
rid, trolls, withstand, insult, question, ruin, permanently, method, forum, finding, eliminate, board, contribute, impossible, patrol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.