Why do you think the Majority is so Silent?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
n/a

Default Why do you think the Majority is so Silent?

This meant to be a completely nonpartisan question. BTK has brought up the Silent Majority several times and it's a good topic. I believe Red had a thread also addressing this. I know that young people are coming out more than ever in this election, but I'm not seeing the passion and the courage of the 60's and 70's. What's happening on the campuses. Where are the protests? Where are the demonstrations? Why have so many become apathetic? These are the types of things that brought about the real changes in our country. Whether Democrate or Republican are we just sitting back ideally hoping that our chads don't hang? Have we become so disenchanted with our government in general that We, the People, feel we can do nothing about it? I want the Silent Majority to yell at the top of their lungs! Do something! Please respond to this without namecalling on either side, in a nonpartisan way. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
n/a

Default Re: Why do you think the Majority is so Silent?

Here's my answer and it's based on my personal experience. The last time I voted was just before leaving Miami to move out west.... 2001 ???? the notorious Presidential election which put Mr. Bush into the White House : : :

There were those hanging chads ..... dead people were voting ..... the voting machines didn't work ..... votes were lost ..... yadda, yadda, yadda! I know my vote didn't count. It's a helpless feeling and I haven't voted since :dontknow:

Has anything changed in Florida?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
n/a

Registered allowable voters in the USA 2004 Presidential race was well over 200,000,000.

Total that voted was about 60%. If they aren't going to take the time to vote they aren't apt to do anything else constructive.....

On a smaller scale just look at the membership on this forum VS the participants.

Paredo's Law...80-20 rule.....usually in any group there is always a core that does all the work....participation....responding...volunteering ...the 20%.

For our population in general...if it does not involve them directly it is nigh unto impossible to get 'em involved. That is why I keep harping about energy independance....it is the one event that will involve everybody. But here again, it is the nature of our citizens to wait till they see the bottom of the barrel before worrying about how to get more into it.

It is sorta like pushing a cooked noodle....it doesn't work. Hence I fear we are doomed
to the operational mode of when it breaks we'll worry about fixing it.

Some how we need to capture their attention...or else nothing will change.

On the other hand, take special interest groups, they have found that it does not take many to make a recognizeable quorum. The ACLU has fewer than 500,000 members.....but they sure get their 2 cents worth.
NRA....6,000,000 is a sizeable lobby base. AARP 6-8,000,000.

I am rambling ....again.

BTK
Old 03-04-2008, 07:48 PM
n/a

I completely agree with you BTK. Oil or reaching the bottom of the barrel will get everyone's attention. I know we can all remember the gas lines. I know many of the younger people will not believe it when they can't afford to fill their cars up or have to wait in lines for 2 to 3 hours.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
n/a

BTK, You are not rambling. These are serious concerns that affect us as a nation. For the second time I hark back to Hancle's post. At what point will the citizens of this country demand that our elected officials work as one for the betterment of this nation? Everything seems to be about staying in office. The health of the Republic appears to be secondary.
You stated before that you stay on our elected officials to do what they are elected to do.
I salute you for your efforts and hope you never stop..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.