Why we have the Second Amendment.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
n/a

Default Why we have the Second Amendment.

This was brought to my attention, and I wonder why this Yankee from New York never was taught this courageous episode of American History.

"The Battle of Athens" was a armed revolt by citizens in Athens and Etowah, Tennessee against the local government in August 1946. The citizens led by some World War II veterans accused the local officials of political corruption and voter intimidation, in which the ballot boxes were taken by armed deputies of the corrupt political machine, so that the counting of ballots couldn't be witnessed, in direct violation of the law.

This is exactly why we have a Second Amendment, so that the government would have to think long an hard before oppressing it's citizens.

Battle-of-Athens

The Battle of Athens

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/An-American-Story-Brad-Johnson/dp/B0002QG98E/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1336081095&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: An American Story - Hallmark: Brad Johnson, Katheen Quinlan, Tom Sizemore, Josef Sommer, G.W. Bailey: Movies & TV[/ame]
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 PM
n/a

Oh come on, you know that the 2d Amendment is only there for hunting and sport shooting.

Just want would the average citizen need of a military style firearm? Oh, now I remember, just in case the government goes overboard and gets crazy.

Great articles and little know and for sure not taught in any of the public schools.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica View Post
Oh come on, you know that the 2d Amendment is only there for hunting and sport shooting.

Just want would the average citizen need of a military style firearm? Oh, now I remember, just in case the government goes overboard and gets crazy.

Great articles and little know and for sure not taught in any of the public schools.
Of course history like this is not taught as students are already overloaded with courses on multi-culturism, same sex orientation and wealth redistibution 101, 102 103, 104
Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Of course history like this is not taught as students are already overloaded with courses on multi-culturism, same sex orientation and wealth redistibution 101, 102 103, 104
Those are really, really, really important courses. Why would anyone what to know about the history of the United States.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
This was brought to my attention, and I wonder why this Yankee from New York never was taught this courageous episode of American History.

"The Battle of Athens" was a armed revolt by citizens in Athens and Etowah, Tennessee against the local government in August 1946. The citizens led by some World War II veterans accused the local officials of political corruption and voter intimidation, in which the ballot boxes were taken by armed deputies of the corrupt political machine, so that the counting of ballots couldn't be witnessed, in direct violation of the law.

This is exactly why we have a Second Amendment, so that the government would have to think long an hard before oppressing it's citizens.

Battle-of-Athens

The Battle of Athens

Amazon.com: An American Story - Hallmark: Brad Johnson, Katheen Quinlan, Tom Sizemore, Josef Sommer, G.W. Bailey: Movies & TV
I went to college in McKenzie, TN. No mention of this there either, but it was 1969. Current events took up most of the action.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
n/a

Posh 8, the government really does not want anyone to know about these incidents. Might give them ideas that would not be good for the current crop of criminals in Foggy Bottom.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post

Battle-of-Athens

The Battle of Athens

Amazon.com: An American Story - Hallmark: Brad Johnson, Katheen Quinlan, Tom Sizemore, Josef Sommer, G.W. Bailey: Movies & TV

Thanks for the link. I am in Tampa tonight and tomorrow and going to a band concert tonight...as a history buff of sorts, this will be good reading when we get home !1
Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
n/a

Very interesting articles. I have never heard of it before but very interesting reading.

Thanks for the information.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
n/a

Default Saw a film noir movie a few months back...

...that told of a story of mob control of a city.

The Phenix City Story - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 AM
n/a

Also why we have a 2nd Amendment:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis&feature=related]Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment! - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Patton allegedly drove a tank into Phenix City. http://www.bobtuley.com/georgepatton.htm

"General Patton training troops at Fort Benning Georgia in 1941. Patton personally drove a tank through the "strip" of bars and cat houses across the river at Phenix City Alabama whose residents frequently robbed, beat and even murdered soldiers on weekend pass." from above linked Bob Tuley website about George Patton.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
n/a

Without the 2dA, the other 9 of the first 10 would be meaningless.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
n/a

I have a real question pertaining to Florida concealed carry about place that weapons may be carried.

I know they cannot be carried into a bar or the part of a restaurant where liquor is predominately served. Can they be carried into voting areas on election days?

Is there any official site that spells out precisely where and where you cannot carry concealed weapons?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:59 AM
n/a

Here is the complete law and all the rules for concealed carry. You are welcome.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2000->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figmo Bohica View Post
Here is the complete law and all the rules for concealed carry. You are welcome.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2000->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine
Quite a list. I can't find any reference to the legality of concealed carry in a place serving alcohol, although it's illegal to use a weapon while intoxicated according to what I found here.

The surprise to me was the prohibition against concealed carry in a pharmacy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.