5 and 10 dollar solutions for golf course conditions

Old 03-07-2024, 06:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
The Villages have some of the most talented people involved with The Golf Management System!! Need maybe to check and see who they are and what the have brought to The Villages. Go outside The Villages and see in general what they offer! Then see what the GMS system has accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
What color is your koolaid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Doesn’t he have the right to his own opinion
He surely does, as does everyone have a right to challenge someone else's opinion.

Personally, I think the Red Kool-Aid is awful, but I heard that's what everyone was drinking at the Jones' Family Outing.

As for the what the "GMS system has accomplished", perhaps the Hornet could provide a list of those accomplishments? A lot of posters on this site and others, are probably curious.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:44 AM
Send a message via AIM to Nordhagen
Default Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Well, everybody has put their 2 cents in on this subject matter,BUT, no viable solutions seem to be suggested. The one thing we don't need is more managers.
Managers have no expertise in agronomy. Good Superintendants do.

Please correct me if I am wrong, BUT, I don't believe each Championship Course has its own superintendent. Most 18 or 27 or even 36 hole golf courses have a superintendent. These folks are in constant contact with course conditions and do preventative and corrections quicker or they lose their jobs! If each course has its own Super, now, than changes need to be made.

Here is a possible solution, if you raise the green fees 5$ on Championship Golf Courses you have enough money to install a Talented Super (125,000 salary)and will have an additional 225,000 for other supplies needed. For the number crunchers, 70,000 rounds of golf at 5$ more -= 350,000. And these rounds may be on the low side so there is even more $ available to insure better conditions. Then each course will be maintained better because you have a talented eye on them and they are not over worked to handle multiple golf courses. Evidently current supers are over worked and under paid. Two causes for failure. One Super to each course.

And yes, courses will share equipment for tasks that are only a few times a year,BUT, you need talented eyes on the ground on each course DAILY.

As far as the Executive courses are concerned, they are covered in the Rec fee. If you raise that fee 10$ then you can install 7-8 Supers to handle 4-5 courses each. That is doable for the 9- hole Executives.
If salaried correctly, you will not have a hard time finding Talented Supers.

These Championship courses are an excellent design for its users. You can land an airplane on most fairways. Fairway bunkers are more scenic than troublesome and greenside bunkers, if any, are very tame. They are in fact perfect for easy maintenance as long as someone is paying attention.

As with any new tax, it is welcome if the money allocation goes to the right place.
Invest in more Supers to get better conditions and people will understand and accept. Fixing ball marks etc is great, BUT, you have to have a talented eye daily to improve conditions.

So the mantra for Championship Courses is 1 course 1 Super. For the execs. its
4 to 1. There you have it, my 2 cents.
It is possible to growgrass in Florida this time of year
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	103236  
Old 03-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhagen View Post
It is possible to growgrass in Florida this time of year
Even my lawn looks good from a distance. And anyplace that overseeds with annual ryegrass will look good. Now, that clubhouse looks very familiar---where is it????
Old 03-08-2024, 08:47 AM
Smile Clubhouse

TPCV Sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Even my lawn looks good from a distance. And anyplace that overseeds with annual ryegrass will look good. Now, that clubhouse looks very familiar---where is it????
Old 03-08-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
TPCV Sawgrass
Of course---haven't played there in 4 years so the memory is fading
Old 03-08-2024, 10:30 AM

You are sooo off with your pay scales for golf course superintendents. Our super at our 106 year old Donald Ross designed Elview CC in Pa. makes under 100k and our super at Glen OakCC which has been a US OPEN Qualifier 4 times the last 15 years makes 95k and a house to live in with utilities.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:16 AM
Default Pay

Thats because it is Pennsylvania...............rural stuff..........its about location.........cudos on providing housing..........the house benefit is another 30,000$ per year.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
You are sooo off with your pay scales for golf course superintendents. Our super at our 106 year old Donald Ross designed Elview CC in Pa. makes under 100k and our super at Glen OakCC which has been a US OPEN Qualifier 4 times the last 15 years makes 95k and a house to live in with utilities.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:33 PM

The Championship Golf Course’s, The Country Clubs and Property that they are on are owned by Mark Morse and his Sister, they are their personal businesses, they profit from them, not The Villages! The Executives are a different story. They are maintained by The Villages with Amenity money! If a Golf Employee works on an Executive Course, the Morse’s charge it to our amenities. So Championship and Executive are like apples and oranges!
Old 03-08-2024, 01:25 PM

If you think the owners are going for 1-1 forthe champ courses, I have a bridge to sell you.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:26 PM
Thumbs up supers

Never said they would...........just said what was needed to be done to accomplish best conditions.............I guess we should just be grateful we have so many venues to play golf. 52 and climbing.........no where else in the world does this happen....so we best keep the female dogging to a minimum and thank our lucky stars for opportunity.

QUOTE=wamley;2308843]If you think the owners are going for 1-1 forthe champ courses, I have a bridge to sell you.[/QUOTE]

Tags
courses, conditions, golf, talented, championship

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.