5 and 10 dollar solutions for golf course conditions

Old 03-07-2024, 07:46 AM
Default Super

But, a good super can grow grass on a bald head...........lets not confuse what a true super is. He is not a grass cutter. Their expertise is in growing grass and keeping it healthy. That is an art form that grass cutters don't possess. A good super inspects the course on a daily basis. I am back to 1 course 1 real super, not 1 super for many courses and just grass cutters underneath them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Since the Developer has one Golf Course Architect that constructs all the Villages Courses, and since course conditions have been an issue for the 18 years I have been here, lets not put the cart before the horse. Have an independent expert in golf course construction and course agronomy inspect the course(s) construction standard to determine if a form of renovation is necessary, prior to hiring a number of new superintendents that may not realistically be able to solve the problem. Even a Master Barber can’t grow hair on a bald head.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:49 AM
Default Educate

Please educate me on what the cpi went up in the last 2 years and was there a corresponding increase in rec fees. On the surface a combined 10% cpi increase was not reflected onto amenities fees or we would be over 200$. Please explain..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
There is no arbitrary raising of the rec (aka amenities) fee. The increases are tied to the CPI. The Villages can do whatever they want with the greens fees on the Championship courses since they own them.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
But, a good super can grow grass on a bald head...........lets not confuse what a true super is. He is not a grass cutter. Their expertise is in growing grass and keeping it healthy. That is an art form that grass cutters don't possess. A good super inspects the course on a daily basis. I am back to 1 course 1 real super, not 1 super for many courses and just grass cutters underneath them.

You just heard from someone who knows what he's talking about.

I played a round of golf with our Super a few years back. I vividly remember him showing me a "spot" on the 3rd hole. He walked me right to it and showed me an area of about 4' x 3' and explained to me why he couldn't seem to get grass to grow on that spot and how he was going to fix it. He knew every square inch of that golf course and that golf hole was only 1 of 45 he had to take care of.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:52 AM

Grass isn't growing or dying that fast. Get a few really EDUCATED people on course care, pay them well, and require they survey courses routinely, making adjustments to care so as to stay ahead of the problem areas. If they need to rope off areas with damaged grass or fix poor drainage, fine; if they need to limit play until X recovers, fine. Give them responsibility and control. If playing less meant playing better courses when we play, I think most would be okay with that.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:43 AM

Use the exorbitant fees we pay now for golf to good use rather than raise prices—again!
Old 03-07-2024, 11:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,321 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I try to only post about what I know.
If everyone did this, there would be far fewer posts!
Old 03-07-2024, 11:54 AM
Sage

Go back and check your amenities' fee near the anniversary of when the contract was first signed on your house. On that anniversary (might be the month before), your amenities' fee will go up by the CPI, in some way, shape, or form. For March 2023, my amenities' fee went up 6.4%. For March 2024, my amenities' fee went up 3.1%. Those numbers match the percentage change in the CPI-U for the 12 months ending in January of 2023 and 2024, respectively. Perhaps they look back two months for the exact annualized value to use?? For 2 years this March, my amenities’ fee is up 9.7%. With a different anniversary month, you might see a different percentage increase. You can check your deed restrictions on districtgov.org for the exact wording that ties the amenities' fee increases to the CPI. I use the standard formula for increases; ((New - Old)/Old) * 100. When you bought your house matters as not everyone pays the same amenities’ fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Please educate me on what the cpi went up in the last 2 years and was there a corresponding increase in rec fees. On the surface a combined 10% cpi increase was not reflected onto amenities fees or we would be over 200$. Please explain..........

Last edited by biker1; 03-07-2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:59 AM

The Villages have some of the most talented people involved with The Golf Management System!! Need maybe to check and see who they are and what the have brought to The Villages. Go outside The Villages and see in general what they offer! Then see what the GMS system has accomplished!
Old 03-07-2024, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Go back and check your amenities' fee near the anniversary of when the contract was first signed on your house. On that anniversary (might be the month before), your amenities' fee will go up by the CPI. For March 2023, my amenities' fee went up 6.4%. For March 2024, my amenities' fee went up 3.1%. Those numbers match the percentage change in the CPI-U for the 12 months ending in January of 2023 and 2024, respectively. Perhaps they look back two months for the exact annualized value to use?? For 2 years this March, my amenities’ fee is up 9.7%. With a different anniversary month, you might see a different percentage increase. You can check your deed restrictions on districtgov.org for the exact wording that ties the amenities' fee increases to the CPI. I use the standard formula for increases; ((New - Old)/Old) * 100. When you bought your house matters as not everyone pays the same amenities’ fee.
Correct! Fact check: TRUE

Simplier formula:
New / Old -1

no need for parenthesis on the calculator
Old 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
The Villages have some of the most talented people involved with The Golf Management System!! Need maybe to check and see who they are and what the have brought to The Villages. Go outside The Villages and see in general what they offer! Then see what the GMS system has accomplished!
What color is your koolaid?
Old 03-07-2024, 01:12 PM
Sage

There are the same number of calculations; a subtraction and a division. You neglected to multiply through by 100 for a percentage. My calculator doesn’t have parenthesis. I am a long time user of HPs. I understand there are calculators that use parenthesis but I find them impossible to use ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Correct! Fact check: TRUE

Simplier formula:
New / Old -1

no need for parenthesis on the calculator

Last edited by biker1; 03-07-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergercat View Post
Use the exorbitant fees we pay now for golf to good use rather than raise prices—again!
Overpriced for sure, compared to off-campus courses. And they don't even have to provide you with a cart!
Old 03-07-2024, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
You neglected to multiply through by 100 for a percentage. My calculator doesn’t have parenthesis. I am a long time user of HPs.
multiplying by a hundred is a presentation/formatting issue, the number is still the same

ugh, using an HP is just beyond me. . I tried for the CFA / CPA exam, and just couldn't do it.

coming from more of a programming background, the reverse polish notation or whatever the name is for the process is just too weird. I started with excel way before grad school and HP finance calculator usage. . . even programmed a trash 80 to do engineering involute curve calculations in the very early 80s, so HP is just too niche to learn
Old 03-07-2024, 05:53 PM
Sage

Programming, unless you are using a stack based language such as Forth, typically looks like “parenthesis” calculators. This is true for C, Fortran, Pascal, PL/I, etc. The trick with RPN calculators is to understand the stack. Once you get it, there is no going back and I know others who also stumble around with conventional calculators. I have had HP scientific calculators for 50 years. I move back and forth between calculator usage and programming without thinking about it. For complex equations, you start in the middle and work outward pushing and popping from the stack.

Quote:
multiplying by a hundred is a presentation/formatting issue, the number is still the same

ugh, using an HP is just beyond me. . I tried for the CFA / CPA exam, and just couldn't do it.

coming from more of a programming background, the reverse polish notation or whatever the name is for the process is just too weird. I started with excel way before grad school and HP finance calculator usage. . . even programmed a trash 80 to do engineering involute curve calculations in the very early 80s, so HP is just too niche to learn

Last edited by biker1; 03-07-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
Quote:
What color is your koolaid?
Doesn’t he have the right to his own opinion

Tags
courses, conditions, golf, talented, championship

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.