Consequences for poor maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts
Default Consequences for poor maintenance

Information ... Tarpon Boil and Redfish Run will be closed starting on Saturday, March 23rd until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience. Bad maintenance decisions are taking it's toll
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Gold member

I have to wonder about the connection here but a friend of mine, who works at one of the exec courses, said it was announced Friday that the director of executive golf is leaving.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 AM

All of the previous conversations/complaints were about how bad the courses were and that they should be closed. Well it’s obvious the voices were heard and listened to. It will be interesting to see if the same people who were going crazy and complaining, will be the same people complaining that courses are now closed!! Having said all of that, the timing of events is pretty ironic for the director of executive golf to be leaving. I just don’t think they have enough executive courses for the amount of people in The Villages. Would others agree with this statement?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts
Wink

There's plenty of courses, just too many people.😉
Steve
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,382 Posts

Never had these problems few years ago? Too many abusive narcissistic golfer’s IMO. Drive right up to greens, don’t repair divots, dimples on greens, sweep sand trap,hit several practice balls, and in the evening you see people after hours hitting practice approach shot on to green making dozens of dimples. 1/3 more residents now that just few years ago, and it’s going to double in few short years. I see nothing but it getting worse. Especially when the apartments go in, all amenities will have strain on them at the new center of the villages, Brownwood which will filter north up to Sumter landing. Maybe spainish springs and north forgotten villages above el Camino Reno will be spared with the hordes.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena0904 View Post
All of the previous conversations/complaints were about how bad the courses were and that they should be closed. Well it’s obvious the voices were heard and listened to. It will be interesting to see if the same people who were going crazy and complaining, will be the same people complaining that courses are now closed!! Having said all of that, the timing of events is pretty ironic for the director of executive golf to be leaving. I just don’t think they have enough executive courses for the amount of people in The Villages. Would others agree with this statement?
In just SEVEN days, the current population will drop dramatically. We will miss the snowbirds but will console ourselves when more tee times open up.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,741 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
In just SEVEN days, the current population will drop dramatically. We will miss the snowbirds but will console ourselves when more tee times open up.
I'm not really sure why you feel April 1 is when the snowbirds leave in droves. Over the past few years, more and more are extending the stay by weeks, if not months. Not to mention that I've noticed after Easter is the more common time migration begins.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage

As in many controversies, this is multifaceted. Increased play as more homes are sold and more players on the courses. Coupled with that is that a lot of residents take up golf for the first time or return to the game after years away, so they are not as familiar with etiquette and care for the course, resulting in unraked bunkers, damaged greens and tees.

Residents who live on courses who consider that it's fine for them to use the course as a practice facility after hours.

A change in winter policy as far as overseeding the greens. For as long as I've been here, they overseeded the greens. Great for a few months, but as the weather warmed and the overseed died off in patches and shaded the bermuda in other areas, the result was very unsatisfactory surfaces for about three months. Last year, they tried a process that has been used successfully where they do not overseed, but use a combination of nutrients and, yes, coloring, to try to keep the bermuda playable over the winter. Last year it seemed to be a good choice as the greens were pretty good and the transition to the bermuda in the spring was smoother. This year, not so much.

Hopefully they have learned something this year and apply that lesson next winter.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,382 Posts

When talking about the increase in the population is there never mention about the number of additional courses over the years being referenced?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
When talking about the increase in the population is there never mention about the number of additional courses over the years being referenced?
Unfortunately, they haven’t added any execs north of 44 while they filled in all the homes along Morse down to Rohan.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Sage

I still have to believe it is a maintenance issue. Seems most courses between 466 and 466A have very poor greens. The Volusia/Escambia etc courses are in nice shape and many of the courses north of 466 are in nice shape. In the past few weeks, I have played Oakleigh, walnut Grove, Chula Vista, DelaVista..all with very nice greens. So, you can’t really blame the weather or amount of play. The only other variable is who is doing the care and maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
There's plenty of courses, just too many people.😉
Steve
Now that's a ridiculous statement for a serious problem.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
As usual, your doing your best to soften a serious problem that , wilthout change, will happen again next year.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

It cracks me up that all these casual golfers are such experts on golf course maintenance. Deal with the conditions now and we'll see you next year.
Steve
Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
As usual, your doing your best to soften a serious problem that , wilthout change, will happen again next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
Now that's a ridiculous statement for a serious problem.
That’s because it’s not what many of us would call a serious problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
maintenance, apologize, inconvenience, notice, decisions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.