Flat Par-3s?

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2021, 07:19 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Jealous of what we have. In this day and time people will say anything, with nothing to back up their statements, to discredit what they don't have.

All of our executive courses are all unique and not much flat land.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Actually, they are the opposite of flat. The golf courses (executive and championship) are part of the rain/water management system. The elevation changes allow them to retain water (and not go into houses) during hurricanes.
Agree…..Volusia hole #1 is definitely not flat! ⛳️️
Old 12-16-2021, 08:23 AM

FLAT? LMAO!
It’s Florida! I would not expect elevation changes like WV, E. Kentucky, VT, CO and so many other places.
I have not played all of the courses but there are pretty good elevation changes include Hilltop, Sarasota, Malory Hills.
Now I can understand the flat opinion if you played many of the courses like Silver Lake, Heron or Pelican, those would be difficult create hills, but then again they are in the Florida Peninsula.
I did play a VERY hilly course over by West Palm but then it was built on a waste dump piled very high.

Last edited by A-2-56; 12-17-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Jealous of what we have. In this day and time people will say anything, with nothing to back up their statements, to discredit what they don't have.

All of our executive courses are all unique and not much flat land.
Thank you Luggage, yes - my question was serious. I am the OP. The "jealous non-villager" is a friend of mine. I know where she lives, and I know the golf courses she golfs . She lives in a community very much like the villages only much smaller. And on a huge lake full of boating and skiing and tubing. Tellico Village in Tennessee. The three golf 18-hole golf courses they have are meticulous and gorgeous and challenging, filled with very few par-3's. The terrain undulates and moves uphill, downhill, through and over deep gulches and across water. Not ponds, but a large body of lake water. A former New Yorker, she is not jealous of The Villages because she already lives in a similar place but does not care for the crowds and congestion compared to her current area.

Anyhow, the entire purpose of the post was because she mentioned her opinion of the courses in the Villages and since I have only golfed a very few of them, I thought I would validate / invalidate her opinion by gathering intel from those of you who have golfed far more than just a few of the courses in The Villages.

Thank you all for your input and insights.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 12-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
It would seem to me that the description of mostly flat and mostly par 3s aptly describes the executive courses. It is true that some of the greens have some slope, but the description would vary according to persons experience. Certainly, from my perception, you couldn't call these courses hilly. This is Florida!
I most certainly notice the need to add/subtract a club due to elevation changes on many, if not most of the executive course holes...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-16-2021, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Thank you Luggage, yes - my question was serious. I am the OP. The "jealous non-villager" is a friend of mine. I know where she lives, and I know the golf courses she golfs . She lives in a community very much like the villages only much smaller. And on a huge lake full of boating and skiing and tubing. Tellico Village in Tennessee. The three golf 18-hole golf courses they have are meticulous and gorgeous and challenging, filled with very few par-3's. The terrain undulates and moves uphill, downhill, through and over deep gulches and across water. Not ponds, but a large body of lake water. A former New Yorker, she is not jealous of The Villages because she already lives in a similar place but does not care for the crowds and congestion compared to her current area.

Anyhow, the entire purpose of the post was because she mentioned her opinion of the courses in the Villages and since I have only golfed a very few of them, I thought I would validate / invalidate her opinion by gathering intel from those of you who have golfed far more than just a few of the courses in The Villages.

So, she's comparing championship courses to executive courses... Alrighty then...

And also, "very few par threes" on he championship courses?

It's pretty much standard for 18 hole courses to have 4 par 3s, 4 par 5s and the rest par 4s...

Are her courses "special" in some way?

And it sounds like her home is carved into the mountains. Of course there will be more elevation changes!

One of the most beautiful and most challenging courses I've ever played was Kiawah, SC. Relatively flat, since it's on the beach!

-Tom Petty
Old 12-16-2021, 08:57 AM
Send a message via AIM to CCristella Send a message via Yahoo to CCristella

Thell her to stay out of TV. she does not know what she is talking about...has she ever played golf here?
Old 12-16-2021, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCristella View Post
Thell her to stay out of TV. she does not know what she is talking about...has she ever played golf here?
What are you so bent out of shape about? In the originating post I stated she has played in The Villages dozens of times. She made an offhand comment to me about her opinion and I simply wanted to see if there was any merit to it.

Didn't intend to personally offend you. No one is attacking you, your life's work, your choice of retirement housing, or anything else. Geeez. Deep breath. Pop a rosuvastatin.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 12-16-2021, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

I did a search on mapquest of Tellico Village and I only see one course, Toqua. And doesn't look to be in very good shape. I would imagine it only gets limited play do to seasons there. Maybe a lot of snow and cold weather in the winter?

img_2769-jpg
Old 12-16-2021, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I did a search on mapquest of Tellico Village and I only see one course, Toqua. And doesn't look to be in very good shape. I would imagine it only gets limited play do to seasons there. Maybe a lot of snow and cold weather in the winter?

Attachment 91941
There are actually 3 18-hole courses. Toqua, Tanasi, and one in a satellite portion of the community at Kahite (in Vonore, TN). The courses are largely Bermuda grass, so they are emerald green all summer, but dead brown dormant from first frost until 90-degree days (roughly mid Oct to mid May).

I believe these are her home courses, FWIW. Try clicking on the Amenities drop-down menu.

Golf Courses | Tellico Village | Loudon , TN
Golf Tellico Village

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 12-16-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
There are actually 3 18-hole courses. Toqua, Tanasi, and one in a satellite portion of the community at Kahite (in Vonore, TN). The courses are largely Bermuda grass, so they are emerald green all summer, but dead brown dormant from first frost until 90-degree days (roughly mid Oct to mid May).

I believe these are her home courses, FWIW. Try clicking on the Amenities drop-down menu.

Golf Courses | Tellico Village | Loudon , TN
Golf Tellico Village
Who cares?
Old 12-16-2021, 12:11 PM
Default Why then???

Quote:
I spoke with a non-Villages acquaintance who has been down to visit friends and golf in The Villages several dozen times over the years. She told me that almost all the golf in The Villages are flat courses filled with par three holes.

Since I've only golfed a couple executive courses, do those who have golfed more of TV find her claim to be fairly accurate?

That would certainly explain the reported 2011 statistic of over 1,800 (5 per day!) holes-in-one on TV courses.

I see posts like this on so many different social media places. If people don't like the types of golf courses, why come and visit to play golf? Go somewhere else. It's not just people saying it about TV golf courses, it goes all the way to Disney World where the complaints include "it's too expensive" and "it's too crowded". Don't go then. Even if her statement would have been true - who cares and why check her statement?
Old 12-16-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
She knows nothing about it. There are 40+ executive courses that are primarily par 3's----that's the definition of an executive course. There are 13 "championship" courses with 36 9's (10 with 27 holes, 3 with 18) and with the exception of Southern Oaks and the Pensacola to Destin rotation at Bonifay they all have only 4 par 3"s (Yes, I know Destin to Fort Walton has 5). The two rotations mentioned have 6 par 5's, 6 4's and 6 3's.

There are several reasons for so many holes in one:

***There are over 3 million rounds of golf played here each year
***Since there are over 350 holes of executive golf and probably 300+ par 3's on them, the odds increase
***a lot of the holes in ones are, well forgive my attitude, "rinky-dink"-----65 yards with a skulled driver from a very short tee

"Flat" has nothing to do with it
How many of those Rinky dink aces have you made if it’s as easy as you suggest?

Last edited by swooner; 12-16-2021 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-16-2021, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
How many of those Rinky dink aces have you made if it’s as easy as you suggest?
None, and I'm proud of it.
Sounds like you made a few
My only ace was #5, Colony Hill G.C., Happauge, NY, 5/25/78, 198 yds with a 5 iron.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
What are you so bent out of shape about? In the originating post I stated she has played in The Villages dozens of times. She made an offhand comment to me about her opinion and I simply wanted to see if there was any merit to it.

Didn't intend to personally offend you. No one is attacking you, your life's work, your choice of retirement housing, or anything else. Geeez. Deep breath. Pop a rosuvastatin.
No idea why that person appears to have been offended, but why would one take a hydroxymethylglutyrlcoenzymeAreductaseinhibitor to calm down??????
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, flat, golfed, golf, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.