Glenview

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 246 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Good article in today's "Daily Sun" by the director of Executive Golf Maintenance about the course conditions. It ends with "Feel free to contact me with any concerns or comments. I would think the same is true with GMS and the championship courses.

Anyone who doesn't want to spend 50 cents can go to St. Tim's recycling dumpster tomorrow and pick up a copy for free and not give another penny to ..........
I emailed the director and he said that he'd like to meet with me to discuss my concerns. I contacted his secretary to set up a meeting and she never got back to me. I've called several times and no response.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #17  
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 646
Thanked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'll be looking outside The Villages from now on when I want to play regulation ("championship" is not a proper term for these courses) golf courses.
My neighbor that I play with every week is a 3 handicap who plays almost everyday if you let him. He said the best outside courses nearby are Misson Inn, southeast of here between Leesburg and Clermont and Juliette Falls that's west of Ocala. I just noticed on Juliette Falls website, after 12:00 18 holes with a cart is only $29.99.

Welcome to Mission Inn Resort & Club, Central Florida

Juliette Falls
  #18  
Old 06-28-2018, 12:24 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,145
Thanks: 2
Thanked 783 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What a bitchfest. News Flash....Lots of elderly around here. Many residents are slow in most things they do and like it that way. If you're in such a hurry most courses have plenty of tee times with minimal activity, ie afternoons. I often walk-on and play alone after viewing the online system the night before and find plenty of multiple 4-slots in succession wide open. I'll take my lumps for being an insensitive male BUT ya'll sound like a bunch of bitchy old ladies. Play off campus or move but for God's sake stop acting like your a Pro on Tour with an axe to grind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
If you pay attention about when you are up to the tee, its no big deal. Some people need their hand held all the time.
Bitching about course conditions on TOTV gets very little accomplished.
Those who think its better to play away from The Villages....have at it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to play here.
Some bitch about bad conditions and then another says conditions are just fine...……...who to believe.

Take restaurant reviews and course reviews and discard...………..go find out for yourself.
I agree with Tim.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #19  
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,590
Thanks: 934
Thanked 146 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What a bitchfest. News Flash....Lots of elderly around here. Many residents are slow in most things they do and like it that way. If you're in such a hurry most courses have plenty of tee times with minimal activity, ie afternoons. I often walk-on and play alone after viewing the online system the night before and find plenty of multiple 4-slots in succession wide open. I'll take my lumps for being an insensitive male BUT ya'll sound like a bunch of bitchy old ladies. Play off campus or move but for God's sake stop acting like your a Pro on Tour with an axe to grind.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #20  
Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 PM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 246 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you pay attention about when you are up to the tee, its no big deal. Some people need their hand held all the time.
Bitching about course conditions on TOTV gets very little accomplished.
Those who think its better to play away from The Villages....have at it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to play here.
Some bitch about bad conditions and then another says conditions are just fine...……...who to believe.

Take restaurant reviews and course reviews and discard...………..go find out for yourself.
I agree with Tim.
I'm sorry. I thought this was a forum on which to discuss The Villages golf course conditions. Are we only supposed to give positive opinions?

Bitchfest? When I see good conditions, I write about it. Unfortunately, that's not very often in TV.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #21  
Old 06-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,145
Thanks: 2
Thanked 783 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm sorry. I thought this was a forum on which to discuss The Villages golf course conditions. Are we only supposed to give positive opinions?

Bitchfest? When I see good conditions, I write about it. Unfortunately, that's not very often in TV.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #22  
Old 06-28-2018, 08:37 PM
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages
Posts: 1,764
Thanks: 483
Thanked 948 Times in 363 Posts
Default

I played Glenview three weeks ago and the greens were in the best condition I have ever played in the Villages. Played Palmer the next day and the greens were fine, but nowhere near as nice Glenview's. I don't know what it is about Glenview, but I can never post a good score on that course? Not a rip on Glenview, more on myself. Somehow the layout does not fit my game, maybe it's all the fairway sand traps? For whatever reason, if I want to have a good chance at posting a low score, I find either Bonifay or Hacienda Hills to be the ticket.
  #23  
Old 06-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Biker Dog's Avatar
Biker Dog Biker Dog is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Posts: 776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Played Glenview yesterday and the greens are the best I have played in the last couple of weeks.
  #24  
Old 06-29-2018, 01:57 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,802
Thanks: 0
Thanked 843 Times in 407 Posts
Default

I'm just trying to understand why some people seem to take it so personal, as if it were their own job performance being criticized...when anyone posts less than a glowing review of a course condition.

For those that constantly whine about people criticizing course conditions, try to remember...no one is forcing you to read or agree with them.

If you don't agree, post such...or just move on.

After all, if there were no issues/problems with course conditions and everything was always fine...why would this forum even need to exist?


__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #25  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:15 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,802
Thanks: 0
Thanked 843 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I'm just trying to understand why some people seem to take it so personal, as if it were their own job performance being criticized...when anyone posts less than a glowing review of a course condition.

For those that constantly whine about people criticizing course conditions, try to remember...no one is forcing you to read or agree with them.

If you don't agree, post such...or just move on.

After all, if there were no issues/problems with course conditions and everything was always fine...why would this forum even need to exist?



Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I played Glenview a week or so ago and thought the greens were overall...in very good shape.

Quite a bit slower than most middle to upper tier courses elsewhere...but about average for TV courses.

Played Belle Glade recently and was disappointed that they are not making a final cut around the green next to the collar...so lots of 'fur strips' on the edges of the actual green.

The pro shop said they had others complaining also and that maintenance told them that..."they were trying to grow out the collars."

Made absolutely no sense to me, given that they could still instruct the greens mowers to make a last mowing pass around the green...just keep about 6 inches from the existing collar edge and the collar will grow out just fine.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-29-2018 at 02:26 PM.
  #26  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Mikeod's Avatar
Mikeod Mikeod is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 5,001
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I played Glenview a week or so ago and thought the greens were overall...in very good shape.

Quite a bit slower than most middle to upper tier courses elsewhere...but about average for TV courses.

Played Belle Glade recently and was disappointed that they are not making a final cut around the green next to the collar...so lots of 'fur strips' on the edges of the actual green.

The pro shop said they had others complaining also and that maintenance told them that..."they were trying to grow out the collars."


Made absolutely no sense to me, given that they could still instruct the greens mowers to make a last mowing pass around the green...just keep about 6 inches from the existing collar edge and the collar will grow out just fine.
The reason they do that periodically is just what you were told. When mowing a green the mower crosses the green edge to edge. If they run around the edge as you desire every time they mow, the edge of the green is subjected to the weight of the mower twice as much and eventually the grass suffers. So, they omit that last circuit around the edge on occasion.
__________________
"the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
  #27  
Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,145
Thanks: 2
Thanked 783 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I'm just trying to understand why some people seem to take it so personal, as if it were their own job performance being criticized...when anyone posts less than a glowing review of a course condition.

For those that constantly whine about people criticizing course conditions, try to remember...no one is forcing you to read or agree with them.

If you don't agree, post such...or just move on.

After all, if there were no issues/problems with course conditions and everything was always fine...why would this forum even need to exist?


So we would know where the restaurants are that serve slop...…………..no kidding I read that on here.
And also where the short pours are.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #28  
Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,145
Thanks: 2
Thanked 783 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that I played Glenview a week or so ago and thought the greens were overall...in very good shape.

Quite a bit slower than most middle to upper tier courses elsewhere...but about average for TV courses.

Played Belle Glade recently and was disappointed that they are not making a final cut around the green next to the collar...so lots of 'fur strips' on the edges of the actual green.

The pro shop said they had others complaining also and that maintenance told them that..."they were trying to grow out the collars."

Made absolutely no sense to me, given that they could still instruct the greens mowers to make a last mowing pass around the green...just keep about 6 inches from the existing collar edge and the collar will grow out just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
The reason they do that periodically is just what you were told. When mowing a green the mower crosses the green edge to edge. If they run around the edge as you desire every time they mow, the edge of the green is subjected to the weight of the mower twice as much and eventually the grass suffers. So, they omit that last circuit around the edge on occasion.
No sense to sense?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #29  
Old 06-29-2018, 03:19 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 9,802
Thanks: 0
Thanked 843 Times in 407 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
The reason they do that periodically is just what you were told. When mowing a green the mower crosses the green edge to edge. If they run around the edge as you desire every time they mow, the edge of the green is subjected to the weight of the mower twice as much and eventually the grass suffers. So, they omit that last circuit around the edge on occasion.
I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Most of the time the issues with the dead grass near the collars, are because the person doing the mowing...is turning too quickly near the green. That's a 'training' issue.

Sometimes this is because of bunkers right next to the green...but often it isn't.

Keep in mind, even when the blades are up and not cutting the mower is still putting "pressure" on the green near the collar. One more pass (as long as the mower is going completely off of the green to make their turns)...isn't that big of a deal.

Here's a good article that explains the various issues (and some potential solutions)...for the problem.

Ring around the collar - Golf Course Industry

Quote:

Muirfield Village Golf Club - By design, the bunkers at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio are very close to the putting surfaces. This is done for both strategy and difficulty. Because of this, there is not a lot of room to maneuver a push mower and make turns, thus causing significant damage to the greens.


Four Stream Golf Club - “The collar region around a green is the area that receives the most traffic on any golf course,” says Harshberger. “Also this is one part of the golf course where, if it’s not close to perfect, it can affect playability.”

“I think other courses have run into collar damage that has been self made but blame it on other factors,”
he says. “And this may only be a problem in areas that experience intense summer heat and stress. If it’s not hot, the sand should not create much of a problem. But when it gets hot the sand is very abrasive on the leaf blades and helps create more unwanted stress on the plants.”

What Four Stream found to work best with preventing collar damage was mowing higher. Ever since they have increased the height of the mowers when going around the collars, they have looked great. They also keep any triplexes away from the greens so they have their collar/approach mower mow six passes around each green. This keeps the larger mowers away from the collars.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 06-29-2018 at 09:00 PM.
  #30  
Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,733
Thanks: 89
Thanked 406 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What a bitchfest. News Flash....Lots of elderly around here. Many residents are slow in most things they do and like it that way. If you're in such a hurry most courses have plenty of tee times with minimal activity, ie afternoons. I often walk-on and play alone after viewing the online system the night before and find plenty of multiple 4-slots in succession wide open. I'll take my lumps for being an insensitive male BUT ya'll sound like a bunch of bitchy old ladies. Play off campus or move but for God's sake stop acting like your a Pro on Tour with an axe to grind.
Boom! Spot on post. It's gotten to the point where when you open up TOTV, you're wondering which course is going to be the "whack a mole" for the day for a certain person. Blah, blah, blah Glenview; blah, blah, blah Orange Blossom. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH...……….. Learn how to play better and the courses will look better.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, golf, minutes, villages, green

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.