Golf Course conditions

Golf Course conditions

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 8,959
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I agree, there seems to be a new emphasis being put on other things besides golf, as well as other subtle changes such as the type of music (both in the squares and played on WVLG) that indicate the developers are changing their focus to draw a new generation of retirees. Unfortunately, we bought in the Villages because we loved the way things were and not because we want to enjoy things that future generations might put a greater emphasis on. That being said, it's still a great place that we enjoy a lot. We just don't want to see what we bought into change.

"Change" can be hard to accept...for a lot of people.


But like the old saying goes; "The only constant in life...IS change."



__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.

  #12  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 5
Thanked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Default

If TV did not keep up with the times in every way it would slowly turn into a ghost town.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,492
Thanks: 240
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If TV did not keep up with the times in every way it would slowly turn into a ghost town. My relatives who bought here 40 years ago had very different preferences than I do. I myself don’t play golf but plan to learn to play to enjoy the beautiful courses. What I’d really like is simply to join a group that actually plays and I walk hole to hole with them. Not actually to have to hit anything. Just to enjoy the course.
This, a thousand times over.

People who bought in the 1980's, were already 55+ then. That means they're 85+ now. Life happens. And life ends. Those houses would be vacant, if you didn't ever keep up. That doesn't mean you have to embrace every trend that comes along, but you do need to provide for some generational shifting.

Also if Sirius Radio works in the Villages, there are TONS of oldies stations you can listen to. My husband prefers 1950's music and the Grateful Dead, while I prefer AOR (album-oriented rock). People complaining about the radio station sound like they don't realize other options exist. I find that incredibly odd.

edited to add: I don't know if Sirius works in the Villages because I don't have the subscription for my car. My husband has it for his truck, and he hasn't driven down yet. We've flown the last few times we've been there, including when we bought the house last month.

As for other amenities, I think there's enough of a variety to suit pretty much every taste.
  #14  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM
thomp679 thomp679 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 60
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I agree with those that are saying change will come to some of the golf courses and you will see shifts in land use. It is happening all over the country so why would it not occur here. I would expect The Villages to lag this trend as is occuring, but that time gap in the lag continues to get smaller.
  #15  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
rjn5656's Avatar
rjn5656 rjn5656 is online now
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Upstate NY/Bonita
Posts: 900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Golf was the reason I moved here. Has been disappointing year over year.
__________________
Bob anc Cheri
Upstate NY/Bonita
  #16  
Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,492
Thanks: 240
Thanked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Default

I really don't understand the disappointment at all. Most folks move to golf communities for the golf. I get that. But most golf communities don't have around 40 9-hole courses and over a dozen 18-hole courses. Most golf communities don't even have 5 9-holes and 2 championships. And the other golf communities cost a lot more to live there, more in membership fees, more in HOA fees, have fewer amenities, and you generally can't stop at the supermarket on your way home from the 18th hole to grab a quart of milk, with your golf cart.

This is a golf community and there are DOZENS of courses you can choose from. If several are in bad shape, there are still several in good shape. It's likely you'll get out on one of the better-kept courses at least a few times every week, as long as you don't insist on only going to the ones that are in bad shape. That's how I'm perceiving it, so I'm not really understanding why it's a problem.
  #17  
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM
RockyMountainMan RockyMountainMan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just a response to all who answered my initial post.The reason I chose the villages was the sheer amount of EXCELLENT golf courses. If it now comes down to one or two champ. courses out of 13 that are in DECENT condition, I can get that anywhere without the traffic and hour waits in restaurants. Some other retirement communities offer one or two courses and that's fine. That's why I chose NOT to move there. I pay amenity fees and greens fees so that ALL the courses create a variety for me to play. To AW MAN's post that you disagree with everything I said...you either don't play golf on the championship courses or you're not aware of what a real golf course should look and play like. Most logical people I talk with agree that the growth here and the conditions of the courses have eroded the quality of life...and if others can't see that I think it's time to remove your rose colored glasses!
  #18  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 12,862
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This, a thousand times over.

People who bought in the 1980's, were already 55+ then. That means they're 85+ now. Life happens. And life ends. Those houses would be vacant, if you didn't ever keep up. That doesn't mean you have to embrace every trend that comes along, but you do need to provide for some generational shifting.

Also if Sirius Radio works in the Villages, there are TONS of oldies stations you can listen to. My husband prefers 1950's music and the Grateful Dead, while I prefer AOR (album-oriented rock). People complaining about the radio station sound like they don't realize other options exist. I find that incredibly odd.

edited to add: I don't know if Sirius works in the Villages because I don't have the subscription for my car. My husband has it for his truck, and he hasn't driven down yet. We've flown the last few times we've been there, including when we bought the house last month.

As for other amenities, I think there's enough of a variety to suit pretty much every taste.
I think the opposition to the music is that there is one station that is broadcast out of every single speaker in every single square. I have nothing against the type of music they play, just that they play it, and I can't turn it off or down when I'm in a square. Perhaps you haven't yet been to a square and don't understand the opposition.


As for the golf courses and your not understanding what the problem is, I would ask how many golf courses in TV you have played on, and over what period of time. I think you might not have been here long enough to understand some of the current problems some golfers, especially the serious ones, are experiencing.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #19  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,397
Thanks: 0
Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think the opposition to the music is that there is one station that is broadcast out of every single speaker in every single square. I have nothing against the type of music they play, just that they play it, and I can't turn it off or down when I'm in a square. Perhaps you haven't yet been to a square and don't understand the opposition.


As for the golf courses and your not understanding what the problem is, I would ask how many golf courses in TV you have played on, and over what period of time. I think you might not have been here long enough to understand some of the current problems some golfers, especially the serious ones, are experiencing.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #20  
Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM
waynet waynet is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

As far playing the courses that are in decent shape, please realize you are not guaranteed that golf course when you input courses and times. AS FOR CONDITIONS,when people who work at these courses tell you to omit them from the rotation, you know something is wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.