Golf Course conditions

Golf Course conditions

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I agree, there seems to be a new emphasis being put on other things besides golf, as well as other subtle changes such as the type of music (both in the squares and played on WVLG) that indicate the developers are changing their focus to draw a new generation of retirees. Unfortunately, we bought in the Villages because we loved the way things were and not because we want to enjoy things that future generations might put a greater emphasis on. That being said, it's still a great place that we enjoy a lot. We just don't want to see what we bought into change.

"Change" can be hard to accept...for a lot of people.

But like the old saying goes; "The only constant in life...IS change."

Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Gold member

If TV did not keep up with the times in every way it would slowly turn into a ghost town.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If TV did not keep up with the times in every way it would slowly turn into a ghost town. My relatives who bought here 40 years ago had very different preferences than I do. I myself don’t play golf but plan to learn to play to enjoy the beautiful courses. What I’d really like is simply to join a group that actually plays and I walk hole to hole with them. Not actually to have to hit anything. Just to enjoy the course.
This, a thousand times over.

People who bought in the 1980's, were already 55+ then. That means they're 85+ now. Life happens. And life ends. Those houses would be vacant, if you didn't ever keep up. That doesn't mean you have to embrace every trend that comes along, but you do need to provide for some generational shifting.

Also if Sirius Radio works in the Villages, there are TONS of oldies stations you can listen to. My husband prefers 1950's music and the Grateful Dead, while I prefer AOR (album-oriented rock). People complaining about the radio station sound like they don't realize other options exist. I find that incredibly odd.

edited to add: I don't know if Sirius works in the Villages because I don't have the subscription for my car. My husband has it for his truck, and he hasn't driven down yet. We've flown the last few times we've been there, including when we bought the house last month.

As for other amenities, I think there's enough of a variety to suit pretty much every taste.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM

I agree with those that are saying change will come to some of the golf courses and you will see shifts in land use. It is happening all over the country so why would it not occur here. I would expect The Villages to lag this trend as is occuring, but that time gap in the lag continues to get smaller.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Golf was the reason I moved here. Has been disappointing year over year.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Gold member

I really don't understand the disappointment at all. Most folks move to golf communities for the golf. I get that. But most golf communities don't have around 40 9-hole courses and over a dozen 18-hole courses. Most golf communities don't even have 5 9-holes and 2 championships. And the other golf communities cost a lot more to live there, more in membership fees, more in HOA fees, have fewer amenities, and you generally can't stop at the supermarket on your way home from the 18th hole to grab a quart of milk, with your golf cart.

This is a golf community and there are DOZENS of courses you can choose from. If several are in bad shape, there are still several in good shape. It's likely you'll get out on one of the better-kept courses at least a few times every week, as long as you don't insist on only going to the ones that are in bad shape. That's how I'm perceiving it, so I'm not really understanding why it's a problem.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Just a response to all who answered my initial post.The reason I chose the villages was the sheer amount of EXCELLENT golf courses. If it now comes down to one or two champ. courses out of 13 that are in DECENT condition, I can get that anywhere without the traffic and hour waits in restaurants. Some other retirement communities offer one or two courses and that's fine. That's why I chose NOT to move there. I pay amenity fees and greens fees so that ALL the courses create a variety for me to play. To AW MAN's post that you disagree with everything I said...you either don't play golf on the championship courses or you're not aware of what a real golf course should look and play like. Most logical people I talk with agree that the growth here and the conditions of the courses have eroded the quality of life...and if others can't see that I think it's time to remove your rose colored glasses!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This, a thousand times over.

People who bought in the 1980's, were already 55+ then. That means they're 85+ now. Life happens. And life ends. Those houses would be vacant, if you didn't ever keep up. That doesn't mean you have to embrace every trend that comes along, but you do need to provide for some generational shifting.

Also if Sirius Radio works in the Villages, there are TONS of oldies stations you can listen to. My husband prefers 1950's music and the Grateful Dead, while I prefer AOR (album-oriented rock). People complaining about the radio station sound like they don't realize other options exist. I find that incredibly odd.

edited to add: I don't know if Sirius works in the Villages because I don't have the subscription for my car. My husband has it for his truck, and he hasn't driven down yet. We've flown the last few times we've been there, including when we bought the house last month.

As for other amenities, I think there's enough of a variety to suit pretty much every taste.
I think the opposition to the music is that there is one station that is broadcast out of every single speaker in every single square. I have nothing against the type of music they play, just that they play it, and I can't turn it off or down when I'm in a square. Perhaps you haven't yet been to a square and don't understand the opposition.

As for the golf courses and your not understanding what the problem is, I would ask how many golf courses in TV you have played on, and over what period of time. I think you might not have been here long enough to understand some of the current problems some golfers, especially the serious ones, are experiencing.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think the opposition to the music is that there is one station that is broadcast out of every single speaker in every single square. I have nothing against the type of music they play, just that they play it, and I can't turn it off or down when I'm in a square. Perhaps you haven't yet been to a square and don't understand the opposition.

As for the golf courses and your not understanding what the problem is, I would ask how many golf courses in TV you have played on, and over what period of time. I think you might not have been here long enough to understand some of the current problems some golfers, especially the serious ones, are experiencing.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Gold member

As far playing the courses that are in decent shape, please realize you are not guaranteed that golf course when you input courses and times. AS FOR CONDITIONS,when people who work at these courses tell you to omit them from the rotation, you know something is wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack