Golf Course conditions

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
By fees, I assume you mean amenity fee. How much of your fee actually goes to support golf?
I bet u know the answer so can U please enlighten us with it?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fswain View Post
I'm not a golfer (so I'm not thrilled about paying fees to support golf) but I have read from the PWAC that the first reason for the golf courses is for water runoff management. The 2nd reason for the golf courses is as a resident amenity. Obviously, #1 is a higher priority for The Villages system, but, probably most folks view the amenity function as being #1. Obviously, those folks would be wrong.
I guest you are talking about the amenity fees. Well number one, none of it goes to the championship courses. Since the executive course are controlled and run by the districts they could tell you. But it is just not golf, all of the recreation activities are supported by the amenity fees. This is not new, I play golf, but I do not complain about the cost of the pools, the tennis courts, pickle ball, etc. It is ALL part of the life style!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:22 PM

14 years here now. I do agree to some extent. I sure missed not having the Rye over seed this past winter. That really makes a difference in the fairways and tee boxes. I don't think they wanted to make the investment. Most of the courses outside TV always over seed. Mallory 3-4 weeks ago was terrible but Lopez and Cain recently are quite good with the Bermuda finally filling in.
I understand as I am from Colorado too and it is very hard to beat those lush fairways April-October. But I do recall I did not care much for those Colorado higher "green fees". Life is full of give-and-take......
Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

I think part of it too is expectations. We played in Northern NY at a semi-private country club that had a fabulous greenskeeper, and the course was pristine, as were many of the courses in the area, and much cheaper to play. Here, the courses remind me of the crummier muni courses we had up north. You have a lot of people here that never played much golf and they take it up in retirement, so they don't have a lot to compare it to as far as conditions. Some of them tend to be satisfied with much less. And some of the more discriminating golfers, however, keep track of the course conditions, and only put in for the good courses when they play in The Villages, or else they play outside The Villages. There are a number of traveling groups, both men's and women's. Like mrf6969 said, there is give and take.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
...There are a number of traveling groups, both men's and women's...
Would you be willing to list some of these groups?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,618 Times in 3,586 Posts

Played Lopez this week. Really good shape. Some of the best greens in TV.

Played Southern Star this morning. They are working on the greens so two of them had big patches of new sod. Tough putting, but they are fixing issues.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

TDS today was in almost perfect condition. Greens are some of the best I have played on yet.
Steve
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
But it is just not golf, all of the recreation activities are supported by the amenity fees. This is not new, I play golf, but I do not complain about the cost of the pools, the tennis courts, pickle ball, etc. It is ALL part of the life style!
Ditto the softball fields. As you said, it's all part of the life style in The Villages.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:16 AM
Gold member

Tierra is in great condition - I play all the championship courses and Tierra is the best right now. Played Glenview on Tuesday and it was in great shape too. Greens are lush, well cut, and medium fast. Fairways just now greening up and look good. I haven't seen a championship course in bad shape this year.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, courses, golf, city, lack

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.