Havana greens B.A.D.

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2023, 06:14 AM
Default Havana greens B.A.D.

Although winter conditions prevail and are to be expected, the greens on Kilimanjaro and Kena have an abundance of weed grass that inhibits staying on the line of putting. Even a short 18" straight putt to the cup goes off course when it hits a clump of weed grass on the green. It appears there is no effort to contain the weed grass as it's vibrant and abundant on every one of the 18 greens we played on Feb 10. Our group saw no brown weed grass indicating zero application of killer product to keep it under control. Otherwise the course was as to be expected this time of year.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:19 AM
Gold member

Nothing new. It's the worst conditioned course in the villages. No accountability. no pride in their work. Everything done on the cheap. We don't include it in our rotation until it improves.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Although winter conditions prevail and are to be expected, the greens on Kilimanjaro and Kena have an abundance of weed grass that inhibits staying on the line of putting. Even a short 18" straight putt to the cup goes off course when it hits a clump of weed grass on the green. It appears there is no effort to contain the weed grass as it's vibrant and abundant on every one of the 18 greens we played on Feb 10. Our group saw no brown weed grass indicating zero application of killer product to keep it under control. Otherwise the course was as to be expected this time of year.
Replace B.A.D. with DOA. Need to hire the greenskeeper from Glenview.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

My Monday group had us play there last month. Terrible then. I told them not to play there anymore this year. Almost went inside and asked for my money back.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Replace B.A.D. with DOA. Need to hire the greenskeeper from Glenview.
Glenview Greens were terrible on Friday. Mallory's awful today. Havana always atrocious. About 1/2 of Evans Prairie Greens are OK, the other half is awful. Palmer Riley Grove is ok, the Laurel & Cherry, not so good.

The only decent Greens I've found on campus in the last 3 weeks, is Tierra del Sol.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Glenview Greens were terrible on Friday. Mallory's awful today. Havana always atrocious. About 1/2 of Evans Prairie Greens are OK, the other half is awful. Palmer Riley Grove is ok, the Laurel & Cherry, not so good.

The only decent Greens I've found on campus in the last 3 weeks, is Tierra del Sol.
Bonifay are decent
Old 02-13-2023, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
That "weed grass" is poa annua (annual bluegrass) that pops up during Spring and Fall. No specific herbicide is available that can get rid of it. It produces tiny seeds that spread like crazy, and can be carried from green to green on lawnmower equipment. The only way to get rid of it is to kill the entire green and replant or resod. You will see it spreading on many of the executive courses (Palmetto, for example, has the worst greens I've ever seen around here). Interesting that Pebble Beach has plenty of poa in there greens, but they manage it with suppressants and mow them often in the spring to keep the surface flat. The only good news is the the poa turns yellow and dies when it gets hot. It is a cool season grass.

No excuses for the conditions here - there are 18 absolutely PERFECT greens over at Silver Springs Shores that you can play for half the price of a Villages Championship course.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
That "weed grass" is poa annua (annual bluegrass) that pops up during Spring and Fall. No specific herbicide is available that can get rid of it. It produces tiny seeds that spread like crazy, and can be carried from green to green on lawnmower equipment. The only way to get rid of it is to kill the entire green and replant or resod. You will see it spreading on many of the executive courses (Palmetto, for example, has the worst greens I've ever seen around here). Interesting that Pebble Beach has plenty of poa in there greens, but they manage it with suppressants and mow them often in the spring to keep the surface flat. The only good news is the the poa turns yellow and dies when it gets hot. It is a cool season grass.

No excuses for the conditions here - there are 18 absolutely PERFECT greens over at Silver Springs Shores that you can play for half the price of a Villages Championship course.
Can the Poa Seeds get transported on golf shoes? I.e. you play palmetto today and Havana tomorrow, seeds travel?
Old 02-14-2023, 05:12 AM

It seems that a good majority of both championship and executive villages courses have greens that are in sad shape.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post

There are many PGA Tour golf courses with Poa Greens, including such places as PB as you mentioned, but also Winged Foot, Torrey Pines & Riviera.

Admittedly, it's hard to get rid of, but I suspect poor cultivation practices all year long in TV, make it much easier for the Poa to take over this time of the year.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:56 AM

You’re blaming winter conditions!? I disagree. Visit some neighboring courses outside The Villages. Fantastic conditions are achievable. Blame the greenskeepers and those establishing the maintenance budgets.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:33 AM

Golf outside The Villages and see what you get. We in The Villages are better off than those who live in surrounding communities!
Old 02-14-2023, 10:07 AM

Played Glenview yesterday and whole course conditions, including greens, were great. We will not play Havana nor Evans Prairie as conditions were, and continue to be, atrocious .
Old 02-15-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
You say "the course was as to be expected this time of year". Actually, if overseeded properly, the course should be in it's best shape. Usually The Villages courses are in better shape during the higher population months than in the summer because of that overseed. Reading the comments about the condition of all the other courses here I'm glad I play outside TV this time of year. Better courses at half the price!!
Old 02-16-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You say "the course was as to be expected this time of year". Actually, if overseeded properly, the course should be in it's best shape. Usually The Villages courses are in better shape during the higher population months than in the summer because of that overseed. Reading the comments about the condition of all the other courses here I'm glad I play outside TV this time of year. Better courses at half the price!!
I'm glad you enjoy the courses you play outside TV and I don't dun you for doing so...please don't feel you have to disparage those who choose to play inside TV. Have a nice day!

Last edited by sdeikenberry; 02-16-2023 at 06:37 AM. Reason: decided I didn't want to post it.
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, weed, greens, expected, played

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.