More On Golf Course Conditions

Old 03-08-2024, 08:50 AM
Question More On Golf Course Conditions

There was a big article in the Thursday (3/7/24) Villages Daily Sun making excuses for the lousy conditions of our golf courses. Well, the people who take care of those courses should take the short drive to Continental Country Club and ask them how they do it down there. Six members of my golf group played there yesterday and discovered the greens were impeccable, the fairways well grassed and the bunkers were raked and had very good sand in them. And their afternoon rate was just $34.95 + Tax, less than half the cost of most of The Villages courses. Same El Nino, same "too much rain", same "too much cloud cover". If CCC can do it why can't The Villages?
Old 03-08-2024, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There was a big article in the Thursday (3/7/24) Villages Daily Sun making excuses for the lousy conditions of our golf courses. Well, the people who take care of those courses should take the short drive to Continental Country Club and ask them how they do it down there. Six members of my golf group played there yesterday and discovered the greens were impeccable, the fairways well grassed and the bunkers were raked and had very good sand in them. And their afternoon rate was just $34.95 + Tax, less than half the cost of most of The Villages courses. Same El Nino, same "too much rain", same "too much cloud cover". If CCC can do it why can't The Villages?
yeah, but...
Old 03-08-2024, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Did you think the Sun would say something negative about something under the control of the developer?
Old 03-08-2024, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Unconfirmed, as the source was FaceBook, but apparently Havana has been closed, do to the poor condition of the Greens.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:19 PM

Would love for all the negative energy expended for complaints/excuses to be channeled into solutions and preventative measures. Need a “we’ll make this the best golf money can buy” attitude from the “powers that be”. Would love to see “comeback retirement community of the year” award earned.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:06 AM
Default Palmer practice green

The practice green at Palmer continues to be in really great shape, even though it gets heavy
constant use all day long.
Why? ..................because it is constantly being maintained.
Why not the same for executive/championship greens???
Ask the T.V. management!!!
The flowers are changed 4 times per year, how many times per year for the golf courses????
Sarcastic, YUP, so be it.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
The practice green at Palmer continues to be in really great shape, even though it gets heavy
constant use all day long.
Why? ..................because it is constantly being maintained.
Why not the same for executive/championship greens???
Ask the T.V. management!!!
The flowers are changed 4 times per year, how many times per year for the golf courses????
Sarcastic, YUP, so be it.
You make a good point about the condition of the practice green at Palmer. There are always people on it. I'm not sure how big a difference this makes, but there are no high iron shots punching it, so you don't have that issue, but I think that's a relatively small problem compared to general lack of grass on most greens in TV.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:28 AM

FYI, Roosevelt greens are 50% Dirt now.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:46 AM
Default It's El Nino's fault

I read the article. Apparently it was only referring to the Executive courses. Blaming cloud cover? My front lawn is as green as it gets?
At least we know now who's responsible, it's a Mr. Mitch Leininger, head of Executive golf maintenance. Apparently he's had that position for quite some time.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Unconfirmed, as the source was FaceBook, but apparently Havana has been closed, do to the poor condition of the Greens.
Yesterday, two employees at Belle Glade told me Havana was closing due to conditions. The greens at Belle Glade were running slow but were in good shape. It was a fun round and there was noticeable new growth on the fairways. The growing season appears to have begun.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Yesterday, two employees at Belle Glade told me Havana was closing due to conditions. The greens at Belle Glade were running slow but were in good shape. It was a fun round and there was noticeable new growth on the fairways. The growing season appears to have begun.
I've noticed a definitive improvement in conditions, at every course I've played this past week or 2. That's certainly partially attributable to the weather.

I've also noted and increase in activity by the grounds crews. That's not an accident, it seems an obvious attempt to improve the conditions.

While everyone is fond of saying, "complaining on TOTV won't help", social media is a powerful force in today's world. There's no question in my mind, the the Developer (owner of the Championship courses) has definitely received the message that folks aren't happy with sub-par conditions and is trying to improve things.

As I don't play Executive courses, I can't report any 1st hand experience, but based on some of the communications coming from the District Office, it looks like they have also gotten the message.

& before anyone starts the "too little too late" refrain, that's simply not true in my opinion.

The Villages can be and has been, a golf mecca, and has other hugely positive attributes. The fact that the message has been received and action has begun, I think is a huge step forward. Thanks Rickey & Mitch (& anyone else responsible). Keep it going.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:54 PM
Default Seems a "Priority Member Boycott" is being developed & discussed....

I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?
Old 03-09-2024, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
FYI, Roosevelt greens are 50% Dirt now.
more like 80% dirt.....
Old 03-09-2024, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Havana is closed. Went on Villages.net and no tee times available at all.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Havana is closed. Went on Villages.net and no tee times available at all.
Evans Prairie will be next. Maybe by next Friday?

Not trying to start any rumors, just reading the Tea Leaves.

Tags
villages, golf, courses, conditions, afternoon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.