More On Golf Course Conditions

Old 03-11-2024, 05:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post

Blah blah, blah

Nonsense

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-11-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

It’s not all courses. Some courses are in very good shape whereas courses down the street are terrible. It’s not the weather, not the foot traffic, or any other poor attempt of an excuse. All these courses are booked to capacity everyday, so it’s not this.
Who maintains these courses? I heard we have multi-le contractors doing this work. I’d get rid of all the contractors who are responsible for the bad courses and expand the contracts to the contractors who have shown they can do the job.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
The Pennbrooke Fairways course has great greens also. It is right next to The Villages Calusa course hole #7. Seems like they would have the same weather as us! The amount of play and inadequate maintenance are what really hurt our courses. At least now The Villages management are finally seeing that, and have said they will be taking better care of things and doing full course restorations more often (every 10 years instead of 20). But now we will suffer through multiple course closures. I guess it will be worth it though. Hopefully they will build more courses in the south more quickly too!
In the old days The Villages would build the golf courses, pro shops, restaurants, etc. first, THEN build the houses. I remember playing Mallory Hill when there was not one house built on it yet. Now they build the houses first and the golf courses, et al, later. That drives the new residents to the existing courses which get overbooked and experience excess wear and tear.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Like most everywhere else on the planet, you’ll find folks here who just love to b!tch. No matter how anyone else sees the glass, to them it is always half empty. That apparently holds true for TOTV as well. Those folks by and large don’t want solutions. They just want to complain about the problems as they see them. It is the same everywhere.

In all the executive courses we’ve played since last fall, I’d say 85% to 90% of them were perfectly playable, especially considering the caliber of play of a lot of the folks who play them.There were some—a few—exceptions to that, but if I were a gambler and had odds 85% in my favor I’d be living in Las Vegas rather than TV.

Sure, some courses could be better. But keeping things in perspective, even the worst courses here look pretty darn good when the conditions of the courses where many of us hail from means that they are hip-deep in snow for half of every year.

All things considered, we have things pretty darn good here in TV.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:56 AM
Gold member

Just tired of the reasoning that the courses where we came from are under snow. So what, I am not there I am here. I want the courses I am playing here to be in better condition . Could care less about courses up north.!
Old 03-12-2024, 09:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Like most everywhere else on the planet, you’ll find folks here who just love to b!tch. No matter how anyone else sees the glass, to them it is always half empty. That apparently holds true for TOTV as well. Those folks by and large don’t want solutions. They just want to complain about the problems as they see them. It is the same everywhere.

In all the executive courses we’ve played since last fall, I’d say 85% to 90% of them were perfectly playable, especially considering the caliber of play of a lot of the folks who play them.There were some—a few—exceptions to that, but if I were a gambler and had odds 85% in my favor I’d be living in Las Vegas rather than TV.

Sure, some courses could be better. But keeping things in perspective, even the worst courses here look pretty darn good when the conditions of the courses where many of us hail from means that they are hip-deep in snow for half of every year.

All things considered, we have things pretty darn good here in TV.
We are a country of declining expectations.

To paraphrase Edmund Burke: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of mediocrity, is for good men to say nothing.”
Old 03-12-2024, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Just tired of the reasoning that the courses where we came from are under snow. So what, I am not there I am here. I want the courses I am playing here to be in better condition . Could care less about courses up north.!
Just curious here…but a general two-part question to anyone who cares to answer it. Ballpark numbers…

A) In the past three months how many courses (exec and championship) have you played; and

B) out of that number, how many were in your estimation, unplayable?
Old 03-12-2024, 09:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Just curious here…but a general two-part question to anyone who cares to answer it. Ballpark numbers…

A) In the past three months how many courses (exec and championship) have you played; and

B) out of that number, how many were in your estimation, unplayable?
I have no knowledge, other than what I read, about Executive Courses. As for Championship courses, Havana, Evans Prairie, Cane Garden, Palmer & Mallory, were all virtually unplayable 2 weeks ago.

Palmer and Mallory have improved in the last 2 weeks.

TDS, Glenview & Lopez were all acceptable to good. I don't know about any other courses.

There was in article this morning, in the *************, about Monday's meeting at SeaBreeze and Mitch Leininger and his boss, got raked over the coals. Expect Leininger to be looking for a new job before the end of the month ... that's surely what he deserves, based on the community's view (& admitted by him) of the conditions at the Executive course.

https://www.**************.com/2024/...closed-sooner/
Old 03-14-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
It’s not all courses. Some courses are in very good shape whereas courses down the street are terrible. It’s not the weather, not the foot traffic, or any other poor attempt of an excuse. All these courses are booked to capacity everyday, so it’s not this.
Who maintains these courses? I heard we have multi-le contractors doing this work. I’d get rid of all the contractors who are responsible for the bad courses and expand the contracts to the contractors who have shown they can do the job.
AGREE 100% over and over again..

Tags
villages, golf, courses, conditions, afternoon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.