Mcneil Drive opened...

 
Thread Tools
 
Old 05-24-2024, 10:30 AM
BubblesandPat BubblesandPat is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: On Rodriguez lane
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default Mcneil Drive opened...

Just curious on how long it takes for the gps software to be updated when new roads open up? Not complaining just wondering..
__________________
Sleep Eat Swim Repeat
 
Old 05-24-2024, 10:34 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 9,871
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6,448 Times in 2,341 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesandPat View Post
Just curious on how long it takes for the gps software to be updated when new roads open up? Not complaining just wondering..
This depends greatly on which GPS application you are using, Google Maps and similar applications are probably months away, the Free villages app and the paid app are probably already updated or will be very shortly. The paid version has a section on this site, the free version is supported by the Daily Sun, so you could contact them directly for a specific answer.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
 
Old 05-24-2024, 10:50 AM
BubblesandPat BubblesandPat is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: On Rodriguez lane
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This depends greatly on which GPS application you are using, Google Maps and similar applications are probably months away, the Free villages app and the paid app are probably already updated or will be very shortly. The paid version has a section on this site, the free version is supported by the Daily Sun, so you could contact them directly for a specific answer.
Thanks...I was talking about the gps app here. Figured they monitored the gps forem here?
__________________
Sleep Eat Swim Repeat
 
Old 05-24-2024, 10:52 AM
Keefelane66 Keefelane66 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 1,773
Thanks: 897
Thanked 2,027 Times in 778 Posts
Default

Its available on WAZE but not on Google or Apple maps
 
Old 05-24-2024, 11:40 AM
Michael 61 Michael 61 is online now
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 886
Thanks: 940
Thanked 1,793 Times in 480 Posts
Default

I just got back from a round trip golf cart ride from the Village of Richmond to Sawgrass Grove. Started at Clarendon Rec Center and crossed Water Lily Bridge, drove through Hogeye to Everglades Rec Center/Magnolia Plaza (this took ten minutes). From Magnolia Center drove to Sawgrass via Marsh Bend/Corbin Trail/McNeil Dr/ Bexley Trail, across Southern Oaks Bridge (this took thirteen minutes). So a total of 23 minutes to Sawgrass via the newly opened route. Drove back alongside Meggison Road paths to Richmond (this took 18 minutes). So the later is still quicker for me to get to Sawgrass, but I thoroughly enjoyed the scenic new route, so I may mix it up in the future when driving my cart to Sawgrass. Although you can’t get directly to Eastport by cart yet, I’m estimating it will be about a 25 minute cart ride for me from Richmond. I’m very excited for those who live in the Sawgrass area, who will now have cart access to Magnolia Plaza/ Everglades Rec Center / Edna’s / Fenney (and vice-versa). All this new development south of 44 is quite exciting to watch unfold. Retirement in The Villages is the best!
__________________
MICHAEL
*The Village of Richmond*
 
Old 05-24-2024, 01:10 PM
Maker Maker is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 456
Thanks: 12
Thanked 400 Times in 175 Posts
Default

The paid GPS app has said they must wait for data release to Sumter County by developer. Sometimes it takes a while. As soon as it is public they will add it.
 
Old 05-24-2024, 01:27 PM
Papa_lecki Papa_lecki is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 2,099
Thanks: 82
Thanked 2,669 Times in 976 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I just got back from a round trip golf cart ride from the Village of Richmond to Sawgrass Grove. Started at Clarendon Rec Center and crossed Water Lily Bridge, drove through Hogeye to Everglades Rec Center/Magnolia Plaza (this took ten minutes). From Magnolia Center drove to Sawgrass via Marsh Bend/Corbin Trail/McNeil Dr/ Bexley Trail, across Southern Oaks Bridge (this took thirteen minutes). So a total of 23 minutes to Sawgrass via the newly opened route. Drove back alongside Meggison Road paths to Richmond (this took 18 minutes). So the later is still quicker for me to get to Sawgrass, but I thoroughly enjoyed the scenic new route, so I may mix it up in the future when driving my cart to Sawgrass. Although you can’t get directly to Eastport by cart yet, I’m estimating it will be about a 25 minute cart ride for me from Richmond. I’m very excited for those who live in the Sawgrass area, who will now have cart access to Magnolia Plaza/ Everglades Rec Center / Edna’s / Fenney (and vice-versa). All this new development south of 44 is quite exciting to watch unfold. Retirement in The Villages is the best!
5 minute difference isn’t that bad. I like having multiple routes.
 
Old 05-24-2024, 01:38 PM
frayedends frayedends is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 770
Thanks: 224
Thanked 900 Times in 329 Posts
Default

So looks like 23 minutes from Lake Denham to Magnolia doing this new route. Nice.
 
Old 05-24-2024, 02:25 PM
Villages GPS's Avatar
Villages GPS Villages GPS is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, Florida
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
The paid GPS app has said they must wait for data release to Sumter County by developer. Sometimes it takes a while. As soon as it is public they will add it.
Hi, yes, You are correct. We do have to wait to get that data to become public before we can add it to our app.

We ask every other month and sometimes there is new data and sometimes nothing.

We aren’t connected with the Developer in any way we are just a couple of Villagers trying our best to keep up.

Trust me, we don’t like waiting.

As you all see how much, how far and how fast they have been expanding. It’s a lot to keep up with.

The day we get new data, we try to update it that day. Then everything we updated has to be approved. That can take up to a week before that happens.

Then you will see those new roads, multi-modal paths showing up.

We do these updates on the backend so no one has to do update's to see them in the app.

I hope that explains why we don’t have everything that is newly built.

If anyone has any questions, please email us at villagesgps@gmail.com

Have a great memorial weekend.

Villages GPS Team.
 
Old 05-24-2024, 09:25 PM
BubblesandPat BubblesandPat is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: On Rodriguez lane
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
The paid GPS app has said they must wait for data release to Sumter County by developer. Sometimes it takes a while. As soon as it is public they will add it.
Thank you!
__________________
Sleep Eat Swim Repeat
 
Old 05-24-2024, 09:26 PM
BubblesandPat BubblesandPat is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: On Rodriguez lane
Posts: 76
Thanks: 31
Thanked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages GPS View Post
Hi, yes, You are correct. We do have to wait to get that data to become public before we can add it to our app.

We ask every other month and sometimes there is new data and sometimes nothing.

We aren’t connected with the Developer in any way we are just a couple of Villagers trying our best to keep up.

Trust me, we don’t like waiting.

As you all see how much, how far and how fast they have been expanding. It’s a lot to keep up with.

The day we get new data, we try to update it that day. Then everything we updated has to be approved. That can take up to a week before that happens.

Then you will see those new roads, multi-modal paths showing up.

We do these updates on the backend so no one has to do update's to see them in the app.

I hope that explains why we don’t have everything that is newly built.

If anyone has any questions, please email us at villagesgps@gmail.com

Have a great memorial weekend.

Villages GPS Team.
Thank you so much for the update!
__________________
Sleep Eat Swim Repeat
 
Old 05-25-2024, 04:41 AM
McClendons McClendons is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 15
Thanks: 7
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This depends greatly on which GPS application you are using, Google Maps and similar applications are probably months away, the Free villages app and the paid app are probably already updated or will be very shortly. The paid version has a section on this site, the free version is supported by the Daily Sun, so you could contact them directly for a specific answer.
If anyone has a good layout of a new road (eg Mcneill), you can submit an update to Google maps. I did the street I moved onto, and it took a couple of days for them to approve, and then it was on the system. A couple of months latter they updated it to be more exact. To do so, open the app, click on contribute, then update road (or address). From there, you can draw it in.
 
Old 05-25-2024, 05:35 AM
rsmurano rsmurano is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 690
Thanks: 5
Thanked 633 Times in 319 Posts
Default

On the map, it looks like you can go straight from the southern oaks bridge to mcneill then to marsh bend, then down marsh bend to Everglades. Is this path not opened yet? Do you have to take Corbin trail to get to marsh bend? Thanks
 
Old 05-25-2024, 06:01 AM
jimdecastro jimdecastro is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 143
Thanks: 30
Thanked 115 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I just got back from a round trip golf cart ride from the Village of Richmond to Sawgrass Grove. Started at Clarendon Rec Center and crossed Water Lily Bridge, drove through Hogeye to Everglades Rec Center/Magnolia Plaza (this took ten minutes). From Magnolia Center drove to Sawgrass via Marsh Bend/Corbin Trail/McNeil Dr/ Bexley Trail, across Southern Oaks Bridge (this took thirteen minutes). So a total of 23 minutes to Sawgrass via the newly opened route. Drove back alongside Meggison Road paths to Richmond (this took 18 minutes). So the later is still quicker for me to get to Sawgrass, but I thoroughly enjoyed the scenic new route, so I may mix it up in the future when driving my cart to Sawgrass. Although you can’t get directly to Eastport by cart yet, I’m estimating it will be about a 25 minute cart ride for me from Richmond. I’m very excited for those who live in the Sawgrass area, who will now have cart access to Magnolia Plaza/ Everglades Rec Center / Edna’s / Fenney (and vice-versa). All this new development south of 44 is quite exciting to watch unfold. Retirement in The Villages is the best!
You CAN get to Eastport. If you took the other path in the golf cart traffic circle at the base of the Southern Oaks Bridge you will get to Eastport in under 10 minutes (7-8 min).

Two things to note - there are far fewer traffic circles. Even a busy intersection like McNeil/Corbin had only a stop sign (a 4-way as recall).

If going over the Southern Oaks Bridge from Sawgrass, there are TWO routes to Magnolia Plaza. You can take Bexley Trail /McNeil Dr/Corbin Trail/Marsh Bend Trial /Magnolia Plaza. Or you can go straight on McNeil to the McNeil/Marsh Bend Trail traffic circle to Magnolia Plaza. It is a few minutes more but the view is very nice and no sharing the road with cars.
__________________
Jim DeCastro

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
 
Old 05-25-2024, 06:03 AM
PGApromike PGApromike is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Newell
Posts: 44
Thanks: 14
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Default Villages free app not updated as of 5/25

The Villages free app for directions, by cart, hadn't been updated as of this morning.
 

Tags
mcneil, complaining, open, roads, updated
Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.