Recurring "Updating" interruptions while navigating Recurring "Updating" interruptions while navigating - Talk of The Villages Florida

Recurring "Updating" interruptions while navigating

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-21-2026, 02:50 PM
bhawk2241963 bhawk2241963 is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Oct 2025
Posts: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Recurring "Updating" interruptions while navigating

I am experiencing intermittent "Updating" pop-up windows while navigating. The map darkens a bit while the "Updating" message appears, then cycles on and off repeatedly. I reported this using the on-app messaging system. The developers said to ensure my smartphone's wifi was turned off. I com-lied, and then again experienced the recurring nuisance interruptions. A friend up here in the north end of the villages also experienced this. The app moderators send me a note about getting more "map tiles" in the future. Ok...sounds good, but are there any other technical measures being implemented?
  #2  
Old 09-21-2026, 03:35 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,092
Thanks: 16
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,862 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk2241963 View Post
I am experiencing intermittent "Updating" pop-up windows while navigating. The map darkens a bit while the "Updating" message appears, then cycles on and off repeatedly. I reported this using the on-app messaging system. The developers said to ensure my smartphone's wifi was turned off. I com-lied, and then again experienced the recurring nuisance interruptions. A friend up here in the north end of the villages also experienced this. The app moderators send me a note about getting more "map tiles" in the future. Ok...sounds good, but are there any other technical measures being implemented?
Is one to assume this is The Villages app?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #3  
Old 09-21-2026, 03:43 PM
bhawk2241963 bhawk2241963 is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Oct 2025
Posts: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Is one to assume this is The Villages app?
Yes, the Villages GPS app the paid subscription one
  #4  
Old 09-21-2026, 04:31 PM
Villages GPS's Avatar
Villages GPS Villages GPS is offline
TOTV Sponsor
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Villages, Florida
Posts: 91
Thanks: 7
Thanked 63 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk2241963 View Post
I am experiencing intermittent "Updating" pop-up windows while navigating. The map darkens a bit while the "Updating" message appears, then cycles on and off repeatedly. I reported this using the on-app messaging system. The developers said to ensure my smartphone's wifi was turned off. I com-lied, and then again experienced the recurring nuisance interruptions. A friend up here in the north end of the villages also experienced this. The app moderators send me a note about getting more "map tiles" in the future. Ok...sounds good, but are there any other technical measures being implemented?
Hi, and thank you for your comment.

One thing we are looking at is cellular coverage.
There are a few areas within The Villages where cell service can be spotty, and our app currently relies on an internet connection to retrieve map data and calculate routes.

If the cellular connection briefly drops or becomes weak, that can sometimes cause the app to display messages such as “Updating,” “Unable to retrieve maps,” or “No Route Found.”

We are also working toward improving this by allowing more map data to be downloaded and stored on the phone ahead of time.
Once that is implemented, the app will be much less dependent on having a strong cellular connection at every moment while navigating.

We are hoping to have this available within the next couple of months, but it is a fairly large project that takes both time and additional development resources.

We are also continuing to improve how the app handles weak or interrupted connections so these situations can be handled more smoothly.

Thank you again for reporting what you are seeing. The details you provide are very helpful.

If anyone experiences an issue or has questions, please send us an email directly through the app by going to More Info > Contact Us and clicking the email link.

Sending the email through the app provides us with information about your particular device and app version, which helps us troubleshoot and test the issue more accurately.

Thank you,
Villages GPS Team
  #5  
Old 09-21-2026, 07:26 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 8,947
Thanks: 4,359
Thanked 12,700 Times in 4,170 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk2241963 View Post
I am experiencing intermittent "Updating" pop-up windows while navigating. The map darkens a bit while the "Updating" message appears, then cycles on and off repeatedly. I reported this using the on-app messaging system. The developers said to ensure my smartphone's wifi was turned off. I com-lied, and then again experienced the recurring nuisance interruptions. A friend up here in the north end of the villages also experienced this. The app moderators send me a note about getting more "map tiles" in the future. Ok...sounds good, but are there any other technical measures being implemented?
I’ve never once got any type of pop-up message when I pull over and unfold my paper map. Technology can be a pain in the a$$.
  #6  
Old 09-22-2026, 07:04 AM
Packer Fan's Avatar
Packer Fan Packer Fan is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 840
Thanks: 484
Thanked 621 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk2241963 View Post
I am experiencing intermittent "Updating" pop-up windows while navigating. The map darkens a bit while the "Updating" message appears, then cycles on and off repeatedly. I reported this using the on-app messaging system. The developers said to ensure my smartphone's wifi was turned off. I com-lied, and then again experienced the recurring nuisance interruptions. A friend up here in the north end of the villages also experienced this. The app moderators send me a note about getting more "map tiles" in the future. Ok...sounds good, but are there any other technical measures being implemented?
I think you may have left out one of the most important pieces of information - What kind of phone do you have? Some older and mid-range phones do not have very good location control, So, navigation apps tend to get confused. Have you had problems with any other Location-based applications like Google Maps or Waze?
__________________
Packer Fan
Retired
Village of Hillsborough
FROG, 10 years in the Making
World Traveler
From Oak Creek, WI
  #7  
Old 09-22-2026, 07:42 AM
Rocksnap Rocksnap is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 782
Thanks: 1,449
Thanked 667 Times in 335 Posts
Default

I have an iPhone 16. You until recently the app was working basically flawlessly.
But since I updated to iOS 27, I started experiencing these random “drops” in mapping.
So perhaps is a phone software thing?
In any case, the map line of travel still shows. I just keep on motoring and the app recovers soon enough.
  #8  
Old 09-22-2026, 09:30 AM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,757
Thanks: 206
Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksnap View Post
I have an iPhone 16. You until recently the app was working basically flawlessly.
But since I updated to iOS 27, I started experiencing these random “drops” in mapping.
So perhaps is a phone software thing?
In any case, the map line of travel still shows. I just keep on motoring and the app recovers soon enough.
I'm sure there is a padded room full of techno nerds. IT IS WORKING-time to change it.
  #9  
Old 09-22-2026, 11:02 AM
Packer Fan's Avatar
Packer Fan Packer Fan is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 840
Thanks: 484
Thanked 621 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksnap View Post
I have an iPhone 16. You until recently the app was working basically flawlessly.
But since I updated to iOS 27, I started experiencing these random “drops” in mapping.
So perhaps is a phone software thing?
In any case, the map line of travel still shows. I just keep on motoring and the app recovers soon enough.

That helps, I had been reading some things about problems with iOS 27, So I asked Gemini, and this is what the reply looked like,

Users updating to iOS 27 have reported location-related issues, including inaccuracies in Find My, failed location sharing, and Apple Maps errors like "Search This Area" or "Current Location Not Available". Common fixes include resetting network or location settings, clearing the Maps cache, and restarting the device.

Hope that helps
__________________
Packer Fan
Retired
Village of Hillsborough
FROG, 10 years in the Making
World Traveler
From Oak Creek, WI
Reply

Tags
updating, recurring, experienced, map, interruptions


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.