Remove hard water build-up on showerheads & faucets

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
I use baking soda and vinegar to clean our drains. 1) Pour super hot water down the drain. 2) Sprinkle the baking soda around the drain. 3) Pour vinegar over the baking soda. The combo bubbles and originally it cleared a hair clog. Now I do it every few months as prevention. Maybe once the bubbling "action" stops the result is neutral, but the process kept me from paying for a plumber.

Back to the reason for the post ... for cleaning a shower head, I use CLR (be sure to read the instructions).
Exactly. The scrubbing bubbles are what works for many.
Dissolving calcium deposits is better handled by an acidic cleaner.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:17 AM

If you want to clean your Delta fixtures and not void the warranty here's how:

Here's How to Clean and Maintain Your Kitchen or Bath Faucet and Shower Head | Delta Faucet Blog

For a summary from Delta - prevent water spots by gently blotting the fixture off every time there is water on it. Use warm water and a soft damp cloth remove water spots.

Do not use cleaners that can damage the finish such as:
Products that state on the label that they remove tarnish and rust, and those containing hydrofluoric, hydrochloric and/or phosphoric acids and caustic agents

Getting fixtures with SpotShield or Brilliance finish will help resist spots.

If you have their Touch-Clean Spray Holes then rubbing your fingers across the holes cleans them.

These cleaners are recommended by Delta for use in cleaning all their fixtures:

1. Formula 409® Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner
2. Fantastik® All-Purpose Cleaner
3. Windex® Original Glass Cleaner

Mineral deposits can be removed with 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:32 AM
Default Solve The Cause

The build-up on your shower head and faucets is the result of hard water. Hard water also creates "soap scum". Solve the problem at its source and install a simple water softener. The Nova filter, or any similar canister filtering system, does not soften the water but removes sediment, odors (chlorine), and some metals. Nova sells, and installs, the softener and filters as a package for a not unreasonable price. However, you can save a few dollars at Home Depot or Lowes.

Keep in mind that the build-up you are complaining about, as well as "soap scum" , is also in your hair, over your body, and in your clothes. With softened water, your skin will feel softer, your laundry will be cleaner, you will use less soap, and there will be no build-up on your shower heads, faucets, and inside the water pipes in your house.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:03 AM
Default Moen Spot Resist Finish

My solution was to replace Delta fixtures with Moen's spot resist finish. The difference is incredible!

I had all high end Delta fixtures in my designer home. The finish on some were so bad they were swapped out under The Villages cosmetic warranty.

I have both Nova filters and softener and still have horrible spotting except on the Moen Spot Resist fixtures that we installed.

I absolutely LOVE my Moen Spot Resist fixtures.

This Moen Spot Resist shower head is almost two years old and rarely needs cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20230912_083951.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	100162  
Closed Thread

Tags
water, cup, time, soda, baking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.