15 year old girl talks to UN on climate issues

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Now this is a step in the right direction. California regulates cow farts

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-16-2018, 05:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Most real science has a lot of unknowns especially something as complicated as the weather and long term patterns in it. But what is very obvious is that something needs to be done no matter the extent of scientist's knowledge of what the "cycles" or whatever are really like.

If your house is getting too uncomfortable for you then you turn down the thermostat or turn it up or open some windows or actually do something to fix it. Or try to change the conditions.

An interesting link-- Climate Change
I agree, sitting on our hands is not a solution. Everyone needs to do our part, no matter how small and insignificant, this is our planet that our children will inherit, at the very least, recycle!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But till it does, I support you. And I decry those who kick the can down the road, for whatever reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I agree, sitting on our hands is not a solution. Everyone needs to do our part, no matter how small and insignificant, this is our planet that our children will inherit, at the very least, recycle!
Yep.

What amazes me, is the ignorance of some with the attitude of... "until some kind of single magic bullet comes along, why bother?"

Refusing to recognize that the answer lies in taking and embracing...lots of small, constant, interim steps.

Which is how most major changes take place, whether it be civil rights/air & water pollution/....?

Speaking of which, the incredible increase in air/water quality experienced due to laws that has occurred in the last number of decades in our cities...is the perfect example. I can't help but wonder, if some folks think this all happened because of magic...or voluntary industry actions taken?

All this improvement in spite of the same voices screeching back then, about how meeting those laws would..."cost too much, destroy industries and it's too late anyway."

And yet of late, ignoring the success of those laws, we've been relaxing a lot of them...simply so corporations/industries can increase their profits in the short term.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 12-16-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

If they want to change the climate maybe they should stop all the burning in Florida.

Last edited by Bay Kid; 12-16-2018 at 07:02 AM. Reason: change
Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Here's the best thing that I'v ever seen on climate change.
Do 97% of Climate Scientists Really Agree? - YouTube
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Fossil Fuels: The Greenest Energy | PragerU

They look like gunfighters, so to speak, for the fossil fuel industry.

It is good that people are looking at things critically though.

Scientists rarely agree on much of anything that is not already very settled as being pretty much scientific facts. And that can change if there is a paradigm shift in scientific thinking.

There is a lot of money invested in keeping the thinking uncritical on both sides.

Scientific Advances & Paradigm Shifts in Scientific Theories | Study.com
Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

First off, the climate has always changed. The biggest question is how much of the change is anthropogenic. This is very difficult, if not impossible, to quantify. From radiative transfer theory, we know that increasing the levels of CO2 will result in some warming. However, this effect is not large enough to be of concern. There needs to be other effects from the slight warming caused by CO2 increases. One thought is that some warming will increase the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere and since water vapor has a much stronger greenhouse impact than CO2 the net result will be greater warming. Of course, this will lead to more clouds which will reflect more incoming solar radiation and lead to cooling. However, the clouds also act to trap long wave radiation which can lead to warming. Needless to say, it is complicated, non-linear, hard to quantify, and difficult to numerically model with fidelity. This was the area I primarily worked in.

There is no actual proof that the increase in CO2 from man's activities is increasing the global temperature. There are short term temperature records but there has been some homogenization of the data. There are longer term data from ice cores. Interestingly, some of the data suggests the CO2 increases follow temperature increases. The "evidence" that man's activities will catastrophically increase global temperatures comes from numerical modeling. This is an area of ongoing research and I don't believe the results are usable, yet, for developing public policy. It is difficult to numerically model important processes such as clouds. There continues to be a lot of money (relatively) spent on numerical modeling worldwide for investigating anthropogenic warming. Again, we don't know the quantitive impact or the time scale. As a scientist, I cringe every time I hear somebody say the "science is settled".

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I believe that both sides are aware and concerned about global warming, but how to deal with it is the problem. I don't think being the major funder in the Paris meeting is doing something. I don't think that passing laws about drilling or pipe lines is doing something. As long as you gas your car, you prove that argument invalid. Industrialization is a major cause of greenhouse gases. Texas has windmills just like Germany and so does Massachusetts. So far scientists are incapable of changing the world to alternate power. Moving your arms and legs and worrying about plastic straws all day and night are not going to stop global warming or save the oceans. The trouble is that not one valid solution has been offered in any of these posts to stop global warming. Talk is cheap.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Bibliography: Discovery of Global Warming

Lots of information on global warming is out there. I hope that our younger generations take it upon themselves to really get out there and do something about these problems vexing us like global warming.

The Discovery of Global Warming - A History

Basic information and links
For starters we could stop running our household air conditioning systems as the power to run them is mostly generated by burning fossil fuels.

Do you want to be the first to volunteer?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Put out by 'PrageU.'

What is a 'PragerU'...you might ask?

PragerU (click here)

What it's not...
Quote:

Despite having "University" in its name, PragerU is not an academic institution, does not hold classes, and does not grant certifications or diplomas.

What it is...
Quote:
PragerU was founded in 2009 by conservative radio talk show host Dennis Prager and radio producer and screenwriter Allen Estrin,[4] in order to present his conservative views and to offset what he regards as the undermining of college education by the left.

In August 2018, when asked to comment, PragerU criticized YouTube for adding fact-checks to YouTube videos which cover climate change.

Any questions?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Put out by 'PrageU.'

What is a 'PragerU'...you might ask?

PragerU (click here)

What it's not...

What it is...

Any questions?
The videos you show for what they are simply are manifestations of the CRAP that is spread, as mentioned by Boomer in post 5.

TWO different worlds.....ONE sees the world as it really is.....the SECOND was they are instructed to see the world.

Hard to be informed in this environment......
Old 12-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
The videos you show for what they are simply are manifestations of the CRAP that is spread, as mentioned by Boomer in post 5.

TWO different worlds.....ONE sees the world as it really is.....the SECOND was they are instructed to see the world.

And each group believes they see the world as it really is.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

Yep.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

And each knew how the other saw things. And there would be little change in their views.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And each knew how the other saw things. And there would be little change in their views.
Could you please explain the meaning of your post ?

Thanks.

Seems to me that any American should know who tells the truth, honor them for that and dispute liars.

Difference of opinion is different....that is people with the same facts, and disagreeing on how to proceed.

Facts and truth, in most cases, is easy to find. Lies as well. Suddenly we are besieged with lies and non facts, and no American should tolerate that.

But, again, not sure what your post means. I am speaking of the truth...you are are also, I think. The point made earlier and I maintain is we are not dealing with facts very much, thus it is NOT related to how we see things. If someone lies to you and I, we should see it as a lie, and that's it.

An untruth CANNOT be seen differently by different people....it is a lie.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

"There is none so blind as those who will not see".

Tags
issues, future, bright, climate, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.