This ain't cold.

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2022, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default This ain't cold.

Browns vs. Bills officially moved to Detroit due to weather | Browns Wire

Sure am glad I no longer live in Chicagoland nor Wisconsin nor the Twin Cities nor Denver.

I have had to bring out my Minnesota coat sometimes for weather here in the Villages.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,971 Times in 755 Posts

Shouldn’t the be under Weather Talk?
Old 11-17-2022, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Sure am glad I no longer live in Chicagoland nor Wisconsin nor the Twin Cities nor Denver.

I have had to bring out my Minnesota coat sometimes for weather here in the Villages.
Just came in from splitting some firewood and am about to spark up the wood stove here in the Berkshires. It’s in the mid 20’s, very windy, and we just had a snow squall. To make matters worse, it got pitch dark at 5:05 and the days will be getting shorter (and colder) for another month. Dam, do I miss our Villages home. Thanksgiving and Christmas can’t be over fast enough for me so we can get our freezing butts down to Florida for the winter.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just came in from splitting some firewood and am about to spark up the wood stove here in the Berkshires. It’s in the mid 20’s, very windy, and we just had a snow squall. To make matters worse, it got pitch dark at 5:05 and the days will be getting shorter (and colder) for another month. Dam, do I miss our Villages home. Thanksgiving and Christmas can’t be over fast enough for me so we can get our freezing butts down to Florida for the winter.
Snow does make some very pretty scenes especially if you are inside.

We lived in Reno, Nevada for fourteen years or so and we could drive up into the surrounding mountains to see the snow. The wood smoke from the homes would often create dense smog though as Reno is pretty much in a bowl with lower hills to the South and North. Lake Tahoe is gorgeous this time of year.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Darn love to watch a football game with a couple of feet on the ground and snowing heavily.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Brrr- Still in Colorado for three more weeks until I close in TV - Snowing right now -low tonite is 9 degrees. Can’t wait for warmer weather.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Ain't it the truth! To quote Mark Twain, Minnesota has 51 weeks of winter and one week of bad skiing each year. Minnesota can be a beautiful state, especially UpNort, but I absolutely do NOT miss those -40 degree mornings. Strange things happen when the temps get that low.

In a related vein...I took the golf cart to Publix last evening, wearing my usual shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Didn't think anything of it, until I got there and saw people wearing heavy coats, stocking caps and gloves. Guess you can take the boy out of Minnesota but it takes longer to take Minnesota out of the boy.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Ain't it the truth! To quote Mark Twain, Minnesota has 51 weeks of winter and one week of bad skiing each year. Minnesota can be a beautiful state, especially UpNort, but I absolutely do NOT miss those -40 degree mornings. Strange things happen when the temps get that low.

In a related vein...I took the golf cart to Publix last evening, wearing my usual shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Didn't think anything of it, until I got there and saw people wearing heavy coats, stocking caps and gloves. Guess you can take the boy out of Minnesota but it takes longer to take Minnesota out of the boy.
Of course, Mark Twain also wrote: "The coldest winter I ever spent was July in San Francisco"
Old 11-18-2022, 07:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,971 Times in 755 Posts

San Francisco Bay stays a cool 60 or so degrees all year long.
I spend Summers in Newport Ri highs of 80’s during the day usually a light breeze extremely low humidity. 10 miles inland can be in the 90’s high humidity. Water temp may hit 70’s by August.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
San Francisco Bay stays a cool 60 or so degrees all year long.
I spend Summers in Newport Ri highs of 80’s during the day usually a light breeze extremely low humidity. 10 miles inland can be in the 90’s high humidity. Water temp may hit 70’s by August.
Don’t believe it!
I spent my honeymoon in San Francisco- early October 1987. The high temperature was over 100! With no internet to warn us we were woefully over-dressed. Stayed in the penthouse suite of a hotel on Union Square with no air conditioning.
As they say- a good story lasts longer than a good time.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I hear ya there, my favorite winter days in the Villages are those days when it gets unbearably cold by Villages standards. The place becomes a ghost town during high season, the golf courses and sports pools are empty and I feel like the place becomes my own private playground. The true test of when it gets cold in the Villages for me is the very rare occasion when I flip up the windshield on the golf cart and it’s not pouring rain out.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

People have told me to hang onto all my Colorado winter gear, as it gets cold in The Villages. Maybe my body will change once I move there in a few weeks, but 50s for highs and 40s for lows is not cold. (I only turn on the heat in the house if lows get into the 30s). Now, it’s not shorts weather, but here in Colorado I’d be fine in jeans, and a light jacket or 1/4 zip sweater over my shirt - no need for gloves/hats/scarves with that temp.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
People have told me to hang onto all my Colorado winter gear, as it gets cold in The Villages. Maybe my body will change once I move there in a few weeks, but 50s for highs and 40s for lows is not cold. (I only turn on the heat in the house if lows get into the 30s). Now, it’s not shorts weather, but here in Colorado I’d be fine in jeans, and a light jacket or 1/4 zip sweater over my shirt - no need for gloves/hats/scarves with that temp.
Moved here from Va and brought much to much in the way of winter clothes but luckily have room in closet for what I will probably never wear.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Moved here from Va and brought much to much in the way of winter clothes but luckily have room in closet for what I will probably never wear.
I will probably bring more than I need, but trying to downsIze now. I will have a huge master closet, so will have plenty of room for clothes. I currently have 36 jackets or fleeces, from casual to ski to wool overcoats for fancier occasions and church. I plan on only bringing a few of those, and ditching my nice wool overcoats.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I will probably bring more than I need, but trying to downsIze now. I will have a huge master closet, so will have plenty of room for clothes. I currently have 36 jackets or fleeces, from casual to ski to wool overcoats for fancier occasions and church. I plan on only bringing a few of those, and ditching my nice wool overcoats.
You will be surprised how many layers folks here will wear when the temps get into the 30's.
Closed Thread

Tags
live, cities, twin, wisconsin, chicagoland

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.